Author Topic: Campag Quick-Release skewers  (Read 6934 times)

Campag Quick-Release skewers
« on: 11 April, 2008, 09:48:15 pm »
My new bicycle of the audax flavour arrived today! Hooray! :thumbsup:

I've been building it up.  I'm a bit concerned about the QR lever on the rear wheel (Campagnolo Centaur).  I can't seem to lock the lever down as securely as the front one.  It wants to spring back open a bit.  If I were to hit it with my finger (when it's closed), it opens a bit.  It's not particularly safe.

Is there anything I may be doing wrong.  I have zero experience of Campag, I've only had Shimano before.  Please could I have your advice.

RJMcB

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
Re: Campag Quick-Release skewers
« Reply #1 on: 12 April, 2008, 10:50:42 am »
There's nothing unusual about Campag skewers.  It's a bog standard type of design - that's usually fine.

Try again with the nut tightened further.

EDIT: This advice may be out of date, please see below.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #2 on: 12 April, 2008, 05:42:37 pm »
My new bicycle of the audax flavour arrived today! Hooray! :thumbsup:

I've been building it up.  I'm a bit concerned about the QR lever on the rear wheel (Campagnolo Centaur).  I can't seem to lock the lever down as securely as the front one.  It wants to spring back open a bit.  If I were to hit it with my finger (when it's closed), it opens a bit.  It's not particularly safe.

Is there anything I may be doing wrong.  I have zero experience of Campag, I've only had Shimano before.  Please could I have your advice.

RJMcB

Foties, man, we want foties. :thumbsup:

If you can't get the QR to hold tight, I'd use any old other skewer meanwhile, send the dodgy one back and ask them to replace it.
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

« Reply #3 on: 12 April, 2008, 06:56:40 pm »
Unfortunately, I've only been able to spend about 5 mins with the bike today, so it isn't even built up properly yet.  :( >:(

When I take the whole assembly off the hub, the levers seem to be fully closed at 90 degrees to the skewer. This doesn't make them tight enough in my opinion.  IME the Shimano ones are closed at more than 90 degress (further in towards the wheel).  They don't seem to be faulty as far as I can see, just not very good.  I honestly think that I am: a) doing something wrong; or b) too paranoid; or c) the QR's aren't compatible somehow (but I don't see how this could be).

???

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #4 on: 12 April, 2008, 07:14:33 pm »
Hmmm <strokes chin>, option b) I think.  Although it should not release just with a flick of your finger.  :o

When you do the skewer up, you should feel increasing resistance and then a wee bit of "give" as it goes over the cam. Conversely, when you release it, there should be a fair bit of resistance that gives way at about 45 degrees.
Did you try screwing the "nut" in a bit before doing up the lever, like Biggsy suggested?

St Sheldon has some words here, but not particularly about your problem. http://www.sheldonbrown.com/skewers.html

Unfortunately, I've only been able to spend about 5 mins with the bike today, so it isn't even built up properly yet.  :( >:(
So you'll be up all night then?  ;D
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

« Reply #5 on: 12 April, 2008, 07:18:21 pm »
It is a cam that is symmetrical, after 90 degrees it'll start getting less tight.

« Reply #6 on: 12 April, 2008, 08:03:29 pm »
When you do the skewer up, you should feel increasing resistance and then a wee bit of "give" as it goes over the cam. Conversely, when you release it, there should be a fair bit of resistance that gives way at about 45 degrees.

It is a cam that is symmetrical, after 90 degrees it'll start getting less tight.

This is exactly what I expected, but the lever hits a "stop" at 90 degrees and will not go past this.  The beauty of a quick release (I thought ) is that when you release it, it takes more pressure for the first few degrees, before it loosens off.  This one is at it's maximum point in the cam at 90 degrees, and will not go beyond this. This makes it too easy to release IMO. I really don't think that its faulty though - I must be doing something wrong.

RJMcB

« Reply #7 on: 12 April, 2008, 08:48:24 pm »

This is exactly what I expected, but the lever hits a "stop" at 90 degrees and will not go past this.  The beauty of a quick release (I thought ) is that when you release it, it takes more pressure for the first few degrees, before it loosens off.  This one is at it's maximum point in the cam at 90 degrees, and will not go beyond this. This makes it too easy to release IMO. I really don't think that its faulty though - I must be doing something wrong.

RJMcB

Does it hit this "stop" when the wheel is removed from the dropouts, or does the cam go past 90 degrees when the wheel is off the bike? If so, loosening the nut a small amount may help, to allow the cam to push past the 90 degree point.

While you've got the wheel off the bike, make sure that nothing is impeding the movement of the lever.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #8 on: 12 April, 2008, 10:16:11 pm »
The lever hits a "stop" at 90 degrees and will not go past this.

You haven't got it adjusted right or there is something funny going on, because it is normally possible for Campag levers to go beyond the 90 degree point.

« Reply #9 on: 12 April, 2008, 10:53:56 pm »
Does it hit this "stop" when the wheel is removed from the dropouts

Yes   :(

While you've got the wheel off the bike, make sure that nothing is impeding the movement of the lever.

I'll hopefully get time to get a proper look at it tomorrow.

« Reply #10 on: 13 April, 2008, 10:51:53 am »
Something just occurred to me.  How is the rear mech attached to the bike?  i.e. is it on a frame-brazed hanger or is it on a separate hanger plate?   I came across one of the latter recently where somebody had upgraded their old steed with some secondhand wheels with qr's.  The rear  wouldn't grip properly.  Not sure technically why but the lever was doing something similar to what you are describing.

Just a thought though.  Sorry if it's off track.

Oh, and I'm sure I have a spare QR in my box of bits.  It'll be a Shimano one for a 135oln hub, but it will fit a 130oln of course.  If you need one then you're welcome to one.

« Reply #11 on: 13 April, 2008, 06:54:03 pm »
Thanks for all the advice guys.  I finally got some time to spend on the bike this afternoon - I've done a bit of fiddling and the QR's a bit better, not perfect in my opinion though.  It's easier to release the mechanism rather than close it.  ???  After riding it a bit, it remained firmly in position even though the roads around here aren;t known for their perfect surfaces.  Here's a photo of it as far closed as it goes.  Please bear in mind that it hits a "stop" rather than "it's so stiff I can't close it any further".

is it on a frame-brazed hanger or is it on a separate hanger plate? .

It is indeed on a frame-brazed hanger.  Thanks for your kind offer Polar Bear

Eck's probably right - I'm just paranoid (but he would say that wouldn't he - he's out to get me you see)

RJMcB

nickwill

« Reply #12 on: 13 April, 2008, 08:11:21 pm »
It should go further than that!
I think I would worry about it coming undone in that position.
A visit to your local bike shop might be in order.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #13 on: 13 April, 2008, 08:55:31 pm »
From your photo RJ, it looks like Campag have changed the design of their QRs since I last got one, so my comments above may not apply.

You should change them if they don't feel tight or secure enough.

Dave

« Reply #14 on: 13 April, 2008, 09:04:50 pm »
Have a look at the bottom left hand pic on this page

http://www.roadcyclinguk.com/news/article/mps/uan/3074

Looks similar?

« Reply #15 on: 13 April, 2008, 10:17:54 pm »
Looks similar?

Looks identical Dave.  Thanks for that.  I feel a lot more relaxed about it now, but I think I will drop in on my lbs this week.

Campag's instructions are very odd.  There are lots of disclaimers about using their equipment, yet their advised test to determine whether the QR is tight isn't very stringent:  pick up the rear wheel and whack it on the top (of the tyre) with your hand; if it stays in place its OK.   ???

RJMcB

« Reply #16 on: 13 April, 2008, 10:20:34 pm »
Should be pointing backwards BTW, more aerodynamic and will not catch on anything and come loose.

« Reply #17 on: 13 April, 2008, 10:23:53 pm »
Should be pointing backwards BTW, more aerodynamic and will not catch on anything and come loose.

This was always my opinion, but since I've been having "issues" with these QR's, I thought I'd follow Campag's instructions to the letter.  As I say, their instructions are slightly odd.

RJMcB

onb

• Between jobs at present
« Reply #18 on: 14 April, 2008, 01:46:25 pm »
 had a very scary experience with a campag QR in as much as when I put back a rear wheel having mended a punct*r*,I found that the circlip that held the lever in had dropped out.I had moved the  bike onto the grass verge to get away from traffic so finding it wasnt an option.I rode the last very downhill 5 miles with the lever at the top parallel to the stays and my heart in my mouth.I bought some very nice mavic one next day and cosigned the campags(which were 6 mths old) to the bin .

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #19 on: 14 April, 2008, 02:04:27 pm »
I had a Campag QR go ping on me, luckily it was just before a ride, and not halfway into one so I could replace it with a Shimano one...
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #20 on: 14 April, 2008, 08:24:02 pm »
I rode about 35km today.  The lever did not budge at all.   :)  I checked it a lot during the ride.  I may be imagining it, but it seems to move in closer to the wheel now  ???

RJMcB

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #21 on: 15 April, 2008, 11:05:46 am »

Not if you are riding in a tight bunch.  I once was beside a bloke who ran up the back of the fellow in front, fell off and on the way down flipped the QR open, locking the front rider's back wheel (horizontal dropouts back then).  Ever since, I've run the rear QR lever between the seat and chainstays.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...