Author Topic: Revisited - Hellfire 600 Perm: 19th & 20th September  (Read 33685 times)

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
Re: Revisited - Hellfire 600 Perm: 19th & 20th September
« Reply #100 on: 03 September, 2009, 06:53:22 pm »
Thanks for the input folks.  I've been persuading by an aspiring AUK to accompany him around the Ferryside Fish Foray instead, so will wish you all the best on this one!

AC

Cheers Andy. Have a good one.

H

Plodder

• More of a lurker than a poster!
« Reply #101 on: 03 September, 2009, 08:11:09 pm »
My desire to do this ride has been exceeded by SWMBO's demands that I spend some time with her as I am already away both weekends before and the one after! Reluctantly I have acquiesced.  :(

Hope you have a good one. :thumbsup:

Plodder
The Portsmouth Wednesday Night Pub Ride Group - "a drinking club with a cycling problem".

Hummers

« Reply #102 on: 05 September, 2009, 08:01:51 pm »
Never mind sweetie.  :-*

H

« Reply #103 on: 05 September, 2009, 10:13:29 pm »

I fail to recall any of that.

My goodness!
That is a surprise! :P :D

« Reply #104 on: 05 September, 2009, 11:06:54 pm »
Can I cadge a lift from anyone doing this ride from London, or near Milton Keynes?
The trains are looking a bit dodgy getting home because of the Sky ride. Cycling to and from the event would mean I can't wait for anyone, if I actualy can do it.

« Reply #105 on: 05 September, 2009, 11:13:25 pm »
I live close to Basingstoke, which is about half way to the start from you. Not being a train sort of person or knowing the impact of the Sky ride, can you get to Reading or Basingstoke? Or somewhere on this side of London? I don't mind driving a bit extra (esp. on Friday), but don't think it'd be sensible/safe for me to go all the way to MK and back on Sunday after the ride so can drop you somewhere where either you can ride home or get a train.

LEE

« Reply #106 on: 13 September, 2009, 11:51:00 pm »
What time do you expect to be going through Abbots Ann (Monxton/Thruxton) on Saturday/

The YACF camping trip ride goes through there (ETA 3pm) and it would be great to tie the 2 rides together

Hummers

« Reply #107 on: 14 September, 2009, 07:27:36 am »
What time do you expect to be going through Abbots Ann (Monxton/Thruxton) on Saturday/

The YACF camping trip ride goes through there (ETA 3pm) and it would be great to tie the 2 rides together

It would be a great idea and I have been watching your thread with interest.

Unfortunately (and based on my last attempt) Abbots Ann and that area would be around the 8:30-10am mark so we will  be a tad early for your ride.

A nice thought nonetheless, Lee.

H

« Reply #108 on: 17 September, 2009, 09:32:19 pm »
Just want to wish all of you a successful ride this weekend. Weather looks to be set fair. I'm sure you'll be a WSR by Sunday evening, Mark.

Just checking - none of you would have been riding the Bournemouth Square now would you?  ;) Ah; I've just realised - you'll be back in time to ride that aswell!!  Silly me! :thumbsup:
Behold the turtle - he only makes progress if he sticks his neck out.

Hummers

« Reply #109 on: 17 September, 2009, 09:41:49 pm »
Just want to wish all of you a successful ride this weekend. Weather looks to be set fair. I'm sure you'll be a WSR by Sunday evening, Mark.

Just checking - none of you would have been riding the Bournemouth Square now would you?  ;) Ah; I've just realised - you'll be back in time to ride that aswell!!  Silly me! :thumbsup:

Bless you, Margaret.

:-*

H

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #110 on: 20 September, 2009, 09:39:39 am »
They've had great weather so far.  If anything yesterday was a bit too hot n heavy

« Reply #111 on: 20 September, 2009, 10:34:20 pm »
I'm back home now. The weather was good, if a bit hot at times. Lots of stories to tell, quite a few problems, but we all got around (except Judith, who had to pack early on with a dodgy freehub).

« Reply #112 on: 20 September, 2009, 10:48:54 pm »
Many, many congratulations to you all  :thumbsup:
I'm just a little bit green with envy of the new WSRs though!!
We crossed your route at Witham Priory and I thought I saw one of you cross ahead of me - around 1:00 pm or slightly later?
Brill weekend for weather.  :)
Behold the turtle - he only makes progress if he sticks his neck out.

Hummers

« Reply #113 on: 21 September, 2009, 05:25:54 am »
Any thoughts on the Nunney-Poole stretch and how it's likely to be as a night section from those that have done it before?
AC

I think it should be a good night stage which is mainly on decent lanes and has a fast run in along the Tarrant valley and B roads through Wimbourne to Poole. The trickiest bit will be the narrow lane out of Shaftesbury which has a steep descent and similar climb up to re-join main road, Shawn probably uses this to avoid the main road that could be busy on Sunday afternoon but it would be quiet early on a Saturday morning.... It is a classic bit of Shawn routing though. The major climbs are approachng Shaftesbury, the lane after Shaftesbury and finally out of Fontmell then it's time to savour the prospect of finishing in Poole (if you've started there!).

I know some have started the perm at places other than Poole. So as long as you let Shawn know your plans you should be OK.

Absolutely spot-on description of that final stage.

It is a classic bit of Shawn routing though

No doubt intended to linger in the memory long after the pain in one's knees has subsided.

The whole ride promised to be a classic and didn't disappoint.  We had perfect weather, I shudder to think what it would have been like had it been inclement.

Highlights as follows:

• Having some very experienced AUKs accompany me on this one
  • Matt Haigh's superb GPS skills. "Is this right Matt"?
  • The food at The George, Codford. Well worth a visit.
  • The first three sections in fine weather with spectacular views
  • The hilly fourth section not feeling half as hard as during my July attempt
  • Arriving in Exmouth not feeling wrecked and largely unscathed after an encounter with a tractor whilst descending the narrow lanes after Shave Cross
  • The night section's clear September skies
  • Being caught up by Teethginder on the last stages of the leg to Taunton Deane after he had urged us to carry on without him (on the previous section) as he was slowing us up and might pack 
  • The climb up Cheddar Gorge in the early morning light
  • Being caught up by Teethginder as we left Malmesbury after he had urged us to carry on without him (on the previous section) as he was slowing us up and still might pack   
  • The villages of Warleigh and Shapstone on the penultmate section
  • Being caught up by Teethginder as we left Nunney Catch after he had told us he was going to do the 'sensible thing' and cycle home/catch a train from Malmesbury as he may not get back to Poole before the last train
  • All three of us being dropped by Teethgrinder on the last section. I think he would have finished 45 minutes before us.  ;D
  • Mr Hennessey being accosted by horses whilst trying to snatch a nap outside of Mere
  • The late evening sun shining on The Tarrants
  • Arriving in Poole knowing I had completed the series
  • An unexpected Wessex SR badge presentation in the parlour of 22 Shaftesbury Avenue.

I am really chuffed to have finished this one and to have completed the Wessex SR. Thanks to all those who have encouraged and supported me, especially Postie who inspired me to attempt this fine series of rides it in the first place.

H

« Reply #114 on: 21 September, 2009, 08:28:46 am »

Big congratulations!

(I planned to ride a few miles of the route, eg Batheaston to Nunney Catch, and offer encouragement as you swept past.... but failed to even get out of the door.)

Chris S

« Reply #115 on: 21 September, 2009, 09:37:11 am »
Nice one Hummers  :thumbsup:

« Reply #116 on: 21 September, 2009, 10:05:48 am »
Yes, Wessex SRs are not so easy to come by, nowadays.

Hummers

« Reply #117 on: 21 September, 2009, 10:40:06 am »
The Crackpot, anyone?

H

chillmoister

• King of Compton
« Reply #118 on: 21 September, 2009, 11:08:20 am »
huge congratulations Hummers ...what a perfect finale to a superb year of cycling  :thumbsup:
appearing in a tea room near you

« Reply #119 on: 21 September, 2009, 11:25:47 am »

« Reply #120 on: 21 September, 2009, 11:45:27 am »
Many, many congratulations to you all  :thumbsup:
I'm just a little bit green with envy of the new WSRs though!!
We crossed your route at Witham Priory and I thought I saw one of you cross ahead of me - around 1:00 pm or slightly later?
Brill weekend for weather.  :)

That may well have been us, a group of cyclists approached us and turned right across our path around there. One of the had what looked to be an AUK jersey on (of the vertical red/white/blue striped variety).

Hummers

« Reply #121 on: 21 September, 2009, 12:30:06 pm »
The Crackpot, anyone?

H

Show off.

Is that you on the badge though?

;)

huge congratulations Hummers ...what a perfect finale to a superb year of cycling  :thumbsup:

Cheers m'dear.

You know you and the Faccombe collective really ought to give this series some consideration...

H

chillmoister

• King of Compton
« Reply #122 on: 21 September, 2009, 01:06:15 pm »

Cheers m'dear.

You know you and the Faccombe collective really ought to give this series some consideration...

H

we'll certainly throw these rides into the mix when we sit down soon and plan our 2009-2010 campaign  :)
appearing in a tea room near you

« Reply #123 on: 21 September, 2009, 02:17:41 pm »

Show off.

Sad, innit. I wonder if it could be made a permanent.

Is that you on the badge though?

I reckon it's TG, seeing as how he did it thrice on fixed.

Impressive ride by him at the weekend. He's hard as marbles, that lad.

Hummers

« Reply #124 on: 21 September, 2009, 03:20:42 pm »

I reckon it's TG, seeing as how he did it thrice on fixed.

Impressive ride by him at the weekend. He's hard as marbles, that lad.

He knew what he had to do to get his body working again and pushed through the pain until it worked.

He is, in my humble opinion, quite simply a legend.

Either that or it might have been my offer of him deriving an extra supply of salt by licking my arse arm.

H