Author Topic: How to keep fit with a fractured pelvis  (Read 4246 times)

How to keep fit with a fractured pelvis
« on: 10 November, 2013, 12:24:06 pm »
Thanks to this i have a fractured pelvis (non displaced). I think I'm likely to be a few weeks off the bike, at the moment I can only hobble about a little and sit on the sofa.

Any idea on how to avoid ballooning up and losing muscle and fitness? Would I be able to use a turbo trainer before riding on the road. Any tricks to avoid stuffing my face out of boredom?

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: How to keep fit with a fractured pelvis
« Reply #1 on: 10 November, 2013, 02:32:44 pm »
Get Well Soon!
Sorry to hear about your crash. You probably would be OK on a turbo before you can go on the road but might have to experiment with the saddle and also with mounting/dismounting. You might need help.
Don't be afraid to ask; it's much better to have a little assistance than a big fall!

I have had no exercise for over 10 years and lost nearly two stone over the last two years.
Weight control when totally idle needs an iron will and persistence! I am quite happy to enjoy Good Meals on Special Occasions. (The forthcoming AUK AGM & Reunion will show that there'll be time when I've not forgotten how to eat like a Randonneur!)

I think you I need Basic Rules.
I try not to eat between meals if I'm not really hungry. Food is mostly out of reach and wrapped up so it needs a Real Effort to get it out.
Don't have any food, other than fresh fruit & veg within easy reach. Wash your hands before and after eating. A sticky keyboard is horrible.
The hassle of having to get off your perch every time you eat will deter you from mindless eating!

At mealtimes, eat a small-medium portion of a protein food, lots of veg and/or salad and a modest portion of starch. Try not to add much fat in cooking or dressings.

Do not drink calories! Eating is OK in its place but drinking sugar puts in calories with little satisfaction. A Jaffa cake has about as many calories as 100ml of full-fat Coke.

Never eat anything you don't enjoy! (This sounds so obvious but… there's no point finishing all on your plate if you're already full. If there are foods for which you don't care, don't eat them! You can't afford the extra input right now.)

Listen to your body; your appetite may shrink if you're not active. Don't continue eating after you are satisfied because others are doing this.

Hope you're awheel soon...

« Reply #2 on: 10 November, 2013, 02:39:09 pm »
sorry to hear of this. fracturing a crank sounds very painful

You could swim - arms-only will give you a really good workout.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #3 on: 10 November, 2013, 02:46:34 pm »
GWS
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #4 on: 10 November, 2013, 02:59:46 pm »
Sorry to hear about the accident.  It would be interesting if you posted about the crank in The Knowledge, by the way.

You won't be off the bike long enough for muscle wastage and general fitness to be a big problem.  That comes back quickly, long before you have full strength back in your hip.

When returning to cycling after my broken hip, I began by putting 99% of my total pedalling force on my good side, then gradually increased the pressure on my bad side as the weeks and months went on.  It's surprising how well you can ride practically one-legged.  It's only hard acceleration and climbing that's much different from normal.

Swimming or hydrotherapy (?) should be excellent exercise meanwhile.  Shame I was too swimming-pool phobic at the time myself.  It would have made my recovery much quicker, I'm sure.  Also take whatever NHS physiotherapy is offered.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5 on: 10 November, 2013, 03:03:54 pm »
Is it difficult for people with pelvic injuries to enter and leave swimming pools?

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #6 on: 10 November, 2013, 03:07:17 pm »
Might be able to get a therapist to help you get in the pool and do special exercises.  This was offered to me on the NHS (and I stupidly didn't take it up).  It's not something you can do immediately after the fracture, though.

« Reply #7 on: 10 November, 2013, 03:26:41 pm »
Thanks for all your good wishes and advice, I have no will power but helly's advice about keeping food out of reach sounds good, also I think I'll keep apples and oranges in closer reach than bickies and pies. I've never been keen on pop, more of a badoit and espresso kind of guy.

The bad leg is fairly mobile, it just can't take any weight

I think I'd have to have inflatable kecks if I tried to swim, also at the moment I'd need to take my crutches in with me until I was supported.

Here's a piece of advice, when you take crutches into the shower, empty the water out of them into the sink, not into your bed.

I've only got a small pick of the crank, that my shed mate took, when I can be mobile enough, I'll fetch it in and ask the techies if pedal washers would of been a good idea.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #8 on: 10 November, 2013, 04:01:01 pm »
It might be a couple of weeks or more before you could get in a pool - depending on advice from your consultant and physios.

« Reply #9 on: 10 November, 2013, 04:01:06 pm »
You can use a 'pool noodle' or two under your legs to help them float - competition swimmers do this to train their arms (and visa versa).

Entry and exit; if you have one good leg, then it isn't difficult at pools that have steps or ladders. Awkward, but possible.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #10 on: 10 November, 2013, 05:00:14 pm »
I broke my pelvis about two years ago,it's very painful :'(The good news is that it sounds like a simple fracture.I my case it took about 2 weeks of hobbling about on 2 crutches.Then down to one crutch limping,after 4 weeks I was brave enough to try the turbo trainer.It is painfull cocking your leg onto the trainer,but once on you can spin away with very little pain.After six weeks I was brave enough to ride my bike on the road.I put on half a stone from comfort eating,but lost it again plus a bit more in the Spring.Don't ride on the ice and heres to a full and swift recovery :thumbsup:

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #11 on: 10 November, 2013, 08:02:06 pm »
Ouch!  nasty.  Sorry, I have no advice, as I have no experience of it, I'm pleased to say.  Get Well Soon.
Getting there...

« Reply #12 on: 18 November, 2013, 01:50:32 pm »
Turns out not to of been fractured, The chief picture starer (Consultant Radiologist) has apparently had a look and declared  that there is no fracture. Still sore. If I don't move about for a while, its very stiff when I get up, If I move around, after a while it starts hurting, sort of dull pain in the downstairs regions.

So I either sit at home, feeling bored and guilty or go to work and grumble, chose work for the moment.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #13 on: 19 November, 2013, 12:28:08 pm »
You are likely to gain less weight if you go to work. Being bored with easy access to food make weight control difficult!
I did a 300km Audax when I'd mainly been off the road for other reasons for over a year.
Loss of fitness can be rather overstated and overplayed for the non-elite athlete (that's most of us) IMO.

Try to remain active within the limits of pain and practicality.
Try to put all your joints through a full range of movements once or twice per day so you don't stiffen up.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #14 on: 19 November, 2013, 12:30:57 pm »
Turns out not to of been fractured, The chief picture starer (Consultant Radiologist) has apparently had a look and declared  that there is no fracture.
Yeah, that's what they said to me. It was though.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

red marley

« Reply #15 on: 19 November, 2013, 01:00:27 pm »
Another strong recommendation for hydrotherapy and/or swimming if it is available to you.

I have been given six weeks' of hydrotherapy by the NHS for my back and associated leg problems. It has been a remarkable experience as it allowed me to move and use the muscles in my lower half properly without being limited by the pain or lack of strength. 'Activating' the bits your body is otherwise doing its best to hold still seems to wake them up when out of the water too. I have found it useful both in terms of increasing body awareness and in slowly rebuilding strength. And its great to get the post-exercise endorphins circulating again after a period of immobility.

BTW, any hydrotherapy pool is likely to have relatively shallow steps with hand rails on both sides to support your body as you step into the water. This works well even with quite significant lower body immobility. My local public swimming pool also has some railed shallow steps in one corner, but I don't know how typical that is for all pools as I'm not a frequent swimmer.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #16 on: 19 November, 2013, 01:27:01 pm »
I could use stairs the day after my accident using a crutch to take weight off my bad side.  I wonder if you can ever get permission from the elfin safety nazis to use a crutch in a swimming pool?  Hopefully the rubber foot (and someone else assisting) would stop it slipping.

red marley

« Reply #17 on: 19 November, 2013, 01:35:32 pm »
At the hydrotherapy pool at least, they definitely do not allow crutches in the pool area. Instead they provide a Zimmerframe type support which is much more stable.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #18 on: 19 November, 2013, 10:34:54 pm »
I could use stairs the day after my accident using a crutch to take weight off my bad side.  I wonder if you can ever get permission from the elfin safety nazis to use a crutch in a swimming pool?  Hopefully the rubber foot (and someone else assisting) would stop it slipping.

Back in the 80s, I took my crutches into the pool area of our local leisure centre several times a week.  People were allowed to use common sense in those days, though.

Gruby Mits

• I am in this only for the cake factor
« Reply #19 on: 21 November, 2013, 12:17:59 pm »
Sorry to hear of your mishap! Hope the pain goes quick and you will be back to fire on all cylinders.

My advice (Calamity Jane) from personal experience of various injury:

Don't have attractive food in the house - if someone else's brings the sinful stuff in, then make a pact that it is theirs and you are no allowed it. (make them feel guilty!)
A little treat is ok (but with poor will power you probably will go for it anyway) - you are injured and feeling sorry for yourself, don't be too hard on yourself, and soon you will be back in action. Go for plain/less calories biscuits or crisp or whatever rather than the worst (nicest) ones

When you go back to activity I would be careful with compensate with good side or train good side only, it may lead to long term preference on the good side.

Try acquajogging if you can't have hydro therapy. Is like running in deep water, with a flotation belt (if you are comfortable in water and not a great swimmer works well) no impact, and when you getting better you can jog in less water for a while to introduce some partial weight bearing but still gentle.

Once you are mobile if you can stand a gym use thread mills and upper body weight training to fill in the time you would be using whilst cycling to get some strength and mobility back in to you - of course if you have a phisio telling what is ok or not is perfect.

And my best pearl  ;) get angry at being injured and promise yourself to use time wisely once you get back to health and enjoy your bike and fitness to the most. I call it plot revenge.
(the weight will go!)

Good luck!
What? Turn left that way?