Author Topic: We've broken our bike  (Read 4104 times)

DaveJ

• Happy days
We've broken our bike
« on: 01 December, 2014, 10:52:52 pm »
While cycling gently up on to the Ashdown Forest yesterday afternoon, our Thorn Explorer decided to stop rather suddenly.  The left hand (non drive side) rear drop out is now in two pieces, which I have to admit did take me about 10 minutes to spot.  The rack and the rear drag brake hold the bits together until you put any pressure on it.

We've had the bike for 4 or 5 years, bought from eBay, and up until that moment it had been pretty much faultless.  I spoke to Thorn today to see how much it would cost to mend.  They suggest that if we take the bike to them, it'll be about 12 weeks and cost around £1000.  I'm a bit disappointed by that.  We paid less than half that for the bike.  I hadn't realised that Thorn no longer have any capability to do this kind of work themselves.  They'd farm it out to Bob Jackson, so as the chap I spoke to said, we'd probably get a better price going direct to them.

If I'd been thinking about a new Thorn, that would give me pause for thought.  I suppose if we had bought it from new, it would have been covered by the warranty, but that does seem quite a lot.

The LBS suggest Argos in Bristol, who think it'll be about £90.  That is with us stripping the frame and getting it to them, and doesn't include a paint job afterwards, but still.....

We are rather glad that it didn't happen 20 minutes earlier coming down Groombridge Hill, or 20 minutes later coming back down off the Ashdown.

Dave

Re: We've broken our bike
« Reply #1 on: 01 December, 2014, 10:57:17 pm »
Scary stuff. Hope Argos can sort you out at reasonable cost.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #2 on: 01 December, 2014, 11:41:29 pm »
Got a picture? It may be a job for our very own Bicycle Repair Man . . .

A grand for a dropout (even with a paint job) is friggin' ridickerous!

But if we could see the extent of the problem it would be easier to advise.

VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #3 on: 01 December, 2014, 11:53:32 pm »
I have used and can recommend Argos, excellent service.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #4 on: 02 December, 2014, 12:02:17 am »
Chas Roberts in Croydon are closer to you than Argos, so transporting to and from the repair would be easier. But a grand for a repair! Blimey. And I thought they'd got rid of that Bandits of Bridgewater tag.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #5 on: 02 December, 2014, 07:42:45 am »
I'd go for a local frame builder rather than the hassle of going half way across the country.  Argos is reasonably local to me and I've used them several times for repairs or paint, even a new frame a long time ago.  A respray should not be needed, only a few inches of the seat stays and chain stays  will be affected so a bit of primer and a dab of paint will do.  I had a head tube repair and only 6 inches or less of the top and down tubes were affected.  Of course there is a difference between "need" and "want" a respray.

« Reply #6 on: 02 December, 2014, 07:51:19 am »
Definitely worth a call to Dave Yates and a couple of photos would help.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #7 on: 02 December, 2014, 08:46:06 am »
Charging 1K for a simple repair is just a semi-polite way of saying 'Sod off and sort it out yourself.'
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

DaveJ

• Happy days
« Reply #8 on: 02 December, 2014, 09:32:33 am »
Charging 1K for a simple repair is just a semi-polite way of saying 'Sod off and sort it out yourself.'

Thats the way I heard it too.

Dave

« Reply #9 on: 02 December, 2014, 09:38:15 pm »
I got a dropout Tig welded, cost about £10, (some time ago). T'was only cracked but no reason why you cannot  weld the two bits. Dave yates endorsed this idea on his thread.

« Reply #10 on: 03 December, 2014, 11:37:17 am »
Had all the work done on our tandem done by Bob Jackson including 3 x S+S couplings and respray for around £1,200.
I was so pleased with it I went back and bought a solo bike ;D

« Reply #11 on: 03 December, 2014, 03:40:35 pm »
I had a Campag rear end break off through the adjuster screw hole at the back whilst in Florida.It was welded very nicely in a car body repairshop owned by a cyclist.No charge and only needed 2cm of the seat and chainstays painting (with rustproofing black hammerite)

DaveJ

• Happy days
« Reply #12 on: 03 December, 2014, 10:18:11 pm »
I had a chance this morning to have another look at the bike.  I guess I was a bit more shaken up on Sunday than I thought, or my memory is starting to invent things, but its actually the drive side that broke.

Now to see if I can remember how to include pictures.

Dave

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #13 on: 05 December, 2014, 11:19:19 am »
That's a job for your framebuilder. I wouldn't advise welding.
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #14 on: 05 December, 2014, 04:41:42 pm »
Agree. A much better fix would be to debraze the broken dropout and replace with a new one.
I am often asked, what does YOAV stand for? It stands for Yoav On A Velo

DaveJ

• Happy days
« Reply #15 on: 12 April, 2015, 09:45:53 pm »
We are back on the bike  :)

Our LBS, Everndens in Paddock Wood, took the bike apart and boxed the frame up.  We sent it off to Argos in Bristol and they have repaired it, sent it back to Everndens who have reassembled it, and we have a lovely shiny machine to ride again.  Both Everndens and Argos were really helpful, very pleased with both of them.

Pictures when I remember, next time we get the bike out.

Dave