Author Topic: A random thread for weatherish things that don't warrant a thread of their own.  (Read 278727 times)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
I have (not) seen the Njords!
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Not really weather, but after pretty much the gloomiest day of the year yesterday, with the earliest sunset, from today the sunset starts to get later! Hooray!

We have to wait until 30th December for the latest sunrise.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Got outside in the blue sky today for what feels like the first time in weeks.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Sorry, I think you used an obscure Scottish dialect word. What is "blue"?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Sorry, I think you used an obscure Scottish dialect word. What is "blue"?

The colour of television, tuned to a dead channel.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Sno.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Giraffe

• I brake for Giraffes
Didn't go out yesterday, pissed down all day, water in gutters joining across the road (last time I saw that was in Mersey Roads 24h TT in '80, on an A-road!).
Stream at bottom of garden almost up to fence - not the highest it's been - but would need another 18" to get to the house and the opposite bank is lower and a flat area.
Today there seems to be a strange glow outside.
2x4: thick plank; 4x4: 2 of 'em.

Giraffe

• I brake for Giraffes
December has just disappointed me - the last FINE day was the 1st. and there was a chance of having rain every day 'til the end of the month, then yesterday was fine and sunny. Still, tomorrow should restore the flood levels.

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
Today, at dawn on Christmas Day, was the first time in maybe a month or more that I've been able to take my black lab dog for the walk we normally do each morning, every day of the year.

In the summer, a farmer ploughed up a field on the route that's been grass for at least 30 years and seeded it with winter wheat.  The footpath across that field, normally half a metre wide, is now at least 10m wide, and a morass.  I had to give up walking the dog over that field, and hence find a new route, as I judged the risk of a fall and a broken hip to be too great at my 66 years, and normally needing 2 walking poles to cross field footpaths anyway, spinal injuries mean my balance is not so good now.

Today we have a hard frost, so the dawn walk was on.  A pleasure to revisit the normal places on that hour long walk that we've not seen for weeks.  And the dog was able to re-sniff his favourite rabbit and fox holes.

Tomorrow we get Storm Bella.

Bugg*r.  Back to square one.

Second fine day in a row here in the Vale of Aylesbury. And today, it’s almost windless. I may get out for a ride later, once the roast is in, and test out my new winter boots and gloves (Lake and GripGrab respectively).
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

nicknack

• Hornblower
It's been a bit wet here lately. We have a small pond in the bottom of 'sunken' area of the garden. It's properly sunken today. First time in the 6 years it's been there.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

Cudzoziemiec

Seems like when it's raining, or threatening to rain, is a good time to go shopping. I guess no one wants to queue in the rain, with the result that there is no queue.

Yep, Marks was near deserted this afternoon.  :thumbsup:
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Yay! It's stopped raining. 
C'mon dog.  Sorry for the delay.  Well done for holding out.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

My attention has been drawn to https://www.windy.com/?2021-02-11-12,55.863,-5.768,6

Shows wind speed and direction, along with many other weather facts that are useful for cyclists (as well as those who venture out to sea).
<i>Marmite slave</i>

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
just looked at our forecast - predicted to be below zero from late tomorrow until Thursday  :o
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Giraffe

• I brake for Giraffes
Have an ice day!

T42

• Apprentice geezer
We have sand from the Sahara drifting over at high altitude.  The world has gone sepia-tinted:

I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
48 hours continuous heavy rain here and it's getting moist.  They've just closed Llandysul bridge.  Luckily we're ok for G T and beer.
I won't need to water the garden for a while.

I won't need to water the garden for a while. https://t.co/cQIKwkwcmV
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Wet and wild out there tonight.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Pretty calm still in London’s famous London, but it's forecast to be stay-in-bed-late weather tomorrow.  Hopefully the wind will blow the bastard pigeons off to the Near Continent.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
All a but Meh here, a bit of rain, no real wind to talk of and the most exiting thing to have happened is that the green bin is now at the other side of the drive, but that happens nearly all the time when it is empty
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

ian

It is windy, isn't it? One of the things about relying on the weather forecast for Canada is that we're often surprised by the rather subfusc British weather. Plenty of snowmelt in upper BC though, so the forecast is for flooding and moist bears. And stay off the ice!

Cudzoziemiec

I was just about to go the PO at 11 when a squall got up and it started hailing. So I waited ten minutes and walked down in calm air and sunshine (and then had to come back home cos my parcel was too bulky and I didn't have any tape with me to squash it down).