Author Topic: The Pendle Witch Trial 200 + A Bit of a Trial 100, Sat 29th August 2020  (Read 1216 times)

My first event as an organizer and (I think) it promises to be a cracker.

204km of lumpiness anticlockwise from Lancaster with the return 73km traversing Pendle Witch country.

Classic climbs, great descents, remote and exposed moorland countryside and beautiful views (on clear days!)

Beer garden and pizza buffet finish.

Lancaster easy to get to by train and motorway.

What more can you want?

AUK entry page

Started audax with LEL & SR in 2013. Currently working on fitness and trying for a RRtY in 2024. Event organiser, Arrivée photo contributor & LEL controller

Re: The Pendle Witch Trial 200
« Reply #1 on: 08 February, 2020, 10:27:59 pm »
A cracker indeed, Darrell, and there is a warning there!.  Mercifully, I have never ridden the Preston section but the rest contains many chunks from iconic rides like Northwest Passage, Red Rose, Good Companions, Bowland, though sometimes in opposite directions.  It's tough but undeniably beautiful, if you get the weather to see it.  August is a good time, I think.   Trough of Bowland in the last hour is the sort of thing those poor women were hanged for, but the descent, into the sunset, could be terrific.  Rides that finish westwards are at a premium.  Good luck with it!!

Peter

Re: The Pendle Witch Trial 200
« Reply #2 on: 10 February, 2020, 08:46:17 am »
I have never ridden the Preston section but the rest contains many chunks from iconic rides...
Thanks Peter

T'is true the Preston section is not the route highlight but it does skirt the city centre, is straightforward to navigate and soon done.

I am devising an accompanying BP 120(ish) which avoids Preston entirely, keep lots of fun stuff, adds a Witchy bonus as well as a nice climb. I think I will call it 'A Bit of a Trial'.
Started audax with LEL & SR in 2013. Currently working on fitness and trying for a RRtY in 2024. Event organiser, Arrivée photo contributor & LEL controller

Re: The Pendle Witch Trial 200 + A Bit of a Trial 100
« Reply #3 on: 11 February, 2020, 06:56:41 pm »
...and now 'A Bit of a Trial'. An accompanying BP 100 (112 114km on the road) which has: some great bits from the longer route, a visit to Newchurch-in-Pendle, three two cafe controls, a 09:30hr start, a 12.5kph minimum speed, 2xAAA points and still has the beer garden and buffet finish!

AUK entry page

Re: The Pendle Witch Trial 200 + A Bit of a Trial 100, Sat 29th August 2020
« Reply #4 on: 14 February, 2020, 03:42:14 pm »
These rides look great, and local! Ideal; thanks for the heads up.  :thumbsup:
Budget accommodation a few miles north at Yealand Old School - please all book then I can have the Saturday off to ride this!!

Re: The Pendle Witch Trial 200 + A Bit of a Trial 100, Sat 29th August 2020
« Reply #5 on: 15 February, 2020, 08:14:02 pm »
pm sent
https://creweandnantwichaudax.wordpress.com/ - See the Audax events I currently organise

www.milehousebarn.co.uk - Cycle Friendly B&B in Nantwich, Chehsire