General Category > GPS

Mumbai Airport, a word to the wise

(1/2) > >>

LittleWheelsandBig:
Flying out of Mumbai recently, my carry-on contained laptops, a power-bank and assorted electronica.  When asked what THIS was (Etrex 30x), I replied “Just a GPS”.

Wrong answer! This response triggered their security to follow the procedure listed under ‘Satellite Phones” which requires government approval to bring into the country. Apparently they would compromise with me placing the GPS sans batteries into my checked luggage. Unfortunately I had already checked in my baggage (obviously, I was being security—checked after the check-in desk) and it couldn’t be retrieved. I had to go back to the check in desk but my GPS had to be in a bag. After purchasing an overpriced bumbag-sized padded bag, the check-in staff next complained that the bag was too small (they never specified a minimum bag size) but eventually gave way and checked it in as a free second bag (I was only allowed 1 checked bag on my ticket).

After that, time was so tight that I basically strode to the front of any queues to show my boarding time and kept moving. I virtually didn’t break stride until I was on the airplane itself.

At the other end, my second bag negotiated the transfer at Singapore and amusingly appeared at the Oversize Baggage counter in Oz. More stressful than I really wanted but it all eventually worked out.

What is the right answer to the security bloke’s question? Next time I will stick with ‘bike computer’ or just pack my Etrex (sans batteries) into my checked luggage at Mumbai. All very silly.

Pingu:
I didn't take my eTtrex to Cuba 'cos of the fear it might've been confiscated on arrival. Instead I had a cheap watch with GPS and all the other holiday peeps had phones with GPS which passed through customs without a bat of an eyelid.

I suspect my eTrex would've made it through in checked-in baggage, but hey-ho.

toontra:
India is certainly the place for silly regulations.  I had a fantastic cycle tour in the south but my enjoyment was tempered by:

1) Trying to buy a SIM card

2) Getting my bike on a train from Kochin to Chenai

Filling out of forms in triplicate and providing several random proofs of identity, including witnessed passport photographs and covering letters from your current accommodation (tricky if you're touring) seem to be the norm.

I'd love to go back but this nonsense has put me off sadly.

LittleWheelsandBig:
Smartphones with GPS are specifically allowed in the guidance that the security staff were showing me. I believe that controlling satellite phones (communications not controllable by the Indian government) was the issue. Mobile phone networks can be switched off locally. I suspect that the guidance writer intended to control GPS devices that could send and receive messages (SPOT trackers perhaps?) but knuckle-headed security staff were triggered by the term GPS in the Satellite Phone section of their guidance.

Lightning Phil:
Years ago I got stopped when the case for my etrex appeared like a knife on their X-ray machine.  I knew what it was, but they wouldn’t let me near by bag to show them. I think bike computer would be the easiest.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version