General Category > GPS

Route sharing with others - navigation app?

(1/4) > >>

drossall:
This is actually walking, but the apps tend to be similar. I'm involved in marshalling a sponsored walk/hike. Traditionally, paper instruction sheets have been given out, with monochrome and rather rough photocopied maps at tiny scales, and that's been OK. But, in these days of smart phones, I thought a link that worked for an app (with a QR code to show off) might be better.

I've tried Komoot, but I can't see how link recipients would navigate without buying map packages. Unless it's just messing around because I'm ten miles from the start, sitting here at home. I think I'm looking for this:

* Share a link (via the QR code) and people have it open the app in their smartphones
* Invited automatically to install app if you don't have it already
* No requirement to create a sign-in account (many people may not need it again until next year)
* Just press a button immediately to navigate, no messing around with loads of options and stuff
* Turn by turn navigation ("Go right here!") is more important than mapping, as folk won't necessarily be map readers anyway
* They are getting a route sheet with numbered points, so a real bonus if I can add waypoints to confirm that they are now at Point 9
In other words, scan this QR code, hit Go!, and your phone will confirm you're on the route and tell you about each turn, all the way round.

Any thoughts? I suppose I could just use Google Maps, but I'm not sure about offline if we go out of decent reception. (Not that this is anywhere remote.)

Feanor:
On my epic ride across South America, they used RWGPS.
They had set it up in some kind of way that the tracks were only visible to people they had sent an invite link to, or somesuch.

Users can either download the tracks to use on their own GPS devices, or use the RWGPS app on their phone.

Lightning Phil:
RWGPS can do this with spoken directions. But you’ll need a premium account to do the custom spoken cues etc. You don’t need a premium account to use what’s created. I think they’ll need to sign up for a basic account.

grams:
You need a premium account to navigate on your phone using the RideWithGPS app.

I made an app called BikeGPX that does fits most of your requirements, with the caveat that it doesn't do turn-by-turn instructions, only "here is a big red line to follow".

telstarbox:
Is this a town or country walk? If the latter are you sure turn by turn will help without street names etc?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version