General Category > The Knowledge

Help with frame related questions

<< < (2/103) > >>

Bicycle Repair Man:

--- Quote from: Ian H on 24 June, 2011, 12:12:58 pm ---Afternoon, Mr Y. Might I mention in passing that commas in www addresses don't work.

Also - just curious: does anyone buy bespoke tt frames nowadays, or is it all Taiwanese carbon-fibre?

--- End quote ---

Afternoon Ian

First one, finger trouble,  :-[ now rectified, Ta

Second one, I havent made a TT frame for at least 7 or 8 years so if anyone is buying them they dont come to me. I am totally out of touch with the racing world now I tend to make mainly tourers, audax, and MTBs so I havent a clue what people are riding.

Cheers

Dave Yates

Bicycle Repair Man:

--- Quote from: clarion on 24 June, 2011, 12:25:57 pm ---Actually, I do have a question.

I want to use a hub gear on my tourer (531ST).  It currently has vertical dropouts.  I know I could go with a chain tensioner, but I think they're ugly, and, besides, I want to have the option of a fixed.

Now, next refurb I see the options as these:

Change the dropouts for trad horizontal ones, but I think they're getting rarer.

Easiest and cheapest option. Not a problem as I probably have the worlds remaining supply of these  ;D Well, I have quite a lot.

Change the dropouts for Rohloff-style sliding dropouts (better if I add a disc brake, of which more another time)

Possible but rather more expensive

leave the dropouts and swap the BB (thread getting tired anyway) for an EBB, which makes disc brakes a good option (of which more later, as I say).

Major work required , expensive (very). If the frame is quite old, and it will be if made of 531 then personally I would not be keen on this option as you never know what you are going to find when you start dismantling

I've spoken to another framebuilder, who doesn't like EBBs because they change the effective seat angle, but I wouldn't have thought that was particularly critical on a tourer, though I don't have the experience to be certain (just been riding a bike for thirty years). Thirty years  :o Did you stop for a rest?

Yes the efective seat angle could change slightly depending on the position of the eccentric but as you say not particularly critical.

I'd appreciate your views.

--- End quote ---

Cheers

Dave Yates

clarion:
Thanks, Dave.  Does it change the balance of options if I need to replace the BB shell anyway?  This might be the case, as I've had problems with slipping cups and worn thread.  Temporarily seems to be solved, but I don't know about the long run.

Bike is from 1996, btw.  Has done a lot of miles, and I want it to do a lot more ;)

DrMekon:
Have you ever been interviewed about your approach to bike fitting? I'd be interested to read about it.

Bicycle Repair Man:

--- Quote from: DrMekon on 24 June, 2011, 03:47:41 pm ---Have you ever been interviewed about your approach to bike fitting? I'd be interested to read about it.

--- End quote ---

Short answer to that is No !!!  Best I can do is direct you to our website where there is an article I wrote for Arrive some years ago at
http://www.daveyatescycles.co.uk/custom_bike_frames-Frame_Design_Considerations-38.php
I think the best description of my approach is "subjective seat of the pants" however it works for me!!

cheers

Dave Yates

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version