Author Topic: Grammar that makes you cringe  (Read 843133 times)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: Grammar that makes you cringe
« Reply #5500 on: 16 December, 2019, 01:04:00 pm »
Nah, in the grand tradition of this thread, you're both wrong. 'Immune from' is an established usage and meaning according to my OED. Slightly different emphasis to 'immune to.' That said, I'd have used 'immune to' in that headline because it sounds better. Donald Trump may think he's immune from prosecution, but he's not immune to the ongoing investigations of lawmakers.

And no one hyphenates no one.

Harrumph.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #5501 on: 16 December, 2019, 02:29:11 pm »
We could go for the New-Yorker-esque noöne instead?

offcumden

• Oh, no!
« Reply #5502 on: 16 December, 2019, 03:18:22 pm »
We could go for the New-Yorker-esque noöne instead?
Haven’t seen that before. You could say that that no one version is more ‘correct’ than any other. Or, indeed, that no-one’s is.

« Reply #5503 on: 16 December, 2019, 03:26:01 pm »
(I don't think the NYer actually does that - I suspect they hyphenate - but they infamously still use the diaeresis on words like coöperate.)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #5504 on: 16 December, 2019, 05:58:56 pm »
I was going to suggest "noöne" too.  The facilities we of the Democratic Ruthless Bastards Party intend to open shortly after I lead the Panzers down Whitehall are, after all, Reëducation Camps.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #5505 on: 16 December, 2019, 06:41:28 pm »
Where does the lead singer of Herman's Hermits fit into all this?
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #5506 on: 16 December, 2019, 09:19:11 pm »
On another topic, why are all the seasonal adverts on about "gifting"? What's that, when it's at home?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5507 on: 16 December, 2019, 09:25:36 pm »
On another topic, why are all the seasonal adverts on about "gifting"? What's that, when it's at home?

It's a special consumerist version of 'giving' isn't it?

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #5508 on: 16 December, 2019, 09:32:21 pm »
A long process of meaning shift will see us talking about "Christmas talents". 
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #5509 on: 16 December, 2019, 09:46:43 pm »
It's a special consumerist version of 'giving' isn't it?
Well yes, but why? It's as circular as burglarisation.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #5510 on: 16 December, 2019, 09:52:08 pm »
"Giving" carries implications of generosity and free will which are incompatible with the modern festival.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5511 on: 17 December, 2019, 12:31:41 am »
"Giving" carries implications of generosity and free will which are incompatible with the modern festival.

Those are still allowed.  The important thing is that you buy something in order to, erm, gift it.  'Gifting' emphasises the gift rather than the action.

« Reply #5512 on: 17 December, 2019, 08:02:09 am »
That's a good summary of all that's wrong with it, thanks.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #5513 on: 17 December, 2019, 08:33:55 am »
I'd say it's worthy of a cringe, but less 'grammar cringe' than 'oh what a fucked up society we have made' cringe. Not to be confused with 'social cringe'. Maybe 'moral cringe'?

On another circular note, expiration. I'm not sure if this is just a case of more syllables = more impressiver or if someone decided that an expiry date on your credit card was likely to put you off using it, because it would remind you of death.

« Reply #5514 on: 17 December, 2019, 08:38:42 am »
You'd expect "no one" to have become one word, like
"none" ?

ian

« Reply #5515 on: 17 December, 2019, 10:36:11 am »
I'm sure we did gifting a while back. Gift has a verb has been around for about 400 years and appears throughout literature so complainers are a bit late to the party. So late, in fact, that there's no mini-sausage rolls left. Let's face it, you're down to a tub with the last scrapings of hummus, a lonely detumescent celery baton, and a nagging worry about just how many double-dippers have trawled it. The question you have to ask yourself is do you feel lucky, punk? It doesn't mean the same as give. You can, after all, give something benefit of your opinion without them considering it much of a gift.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5516 on: 17 December, 2019, 12:36:10 pm »
I'd say it's worthy of a cringe, but less 'grammar cringe' than 'oh what a fucked up society we have made' cringe. Not to be confused with 'social cringe'. Maybe 'moral cringe'?

On another circular note, expiration. I'm not sure if this is just a case of more syllables = more impressiver or if someone decided that an expiry date on your credit card was likely to put you off using it, because it would remind you of death.

I think 'expiration' is USAnian, 'expiry' is UKnian...

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5517 on: 17 December, 2019, 01:15:41 pm »

I think 'expiration' is USAnian, 'expiry' is UKnian...

It might also be that expiry is original UK and expiration is Johnsonian*. He started the whole 'ise/ize' thing by saying that that word ending was of French origin and should therefore be spelt Frenchly. It wouldn't surprise me if he Frenchified a bunch of other words too.

* not that one, that one.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #5518 on: 17 December, 2019, 01:23:39 pm »
Where does the lead singer of Herman's Hermits fit into all this?

I was thinking of the bloke who played drums on the first Def Leppard EP, but the point stands  ;D
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #5519 on: 17 December, 2019, 02:10:47 pm »
(I don't think the NYer actually does that - I suspect they hyphenate - but they infamously still use the diaeresis on words like coöperate.)

They tried to force me to judge the barrel-making but I refused to cooper rate.

Carry on.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5520 on: 18 December, 2019, 10:14:28 am »
IFLScience picture caption: Artistic reconstruction of "Lola", as they has been named. Tom Björklund

https://www.iflscience.com/plants-and-animals/5700yearold-chewing-gum-reveals-an-entire-human-genome/

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #5521 on: 20 December, 2019, 09:58:15 am »
Hyphen time again. Caption to a photo:
Unidentified victim of sex trafficking put their hands together in a show of solidarity at an anti-human trafficking agency in Boston, Massachusetts.
The meaning is clear but only because a trafficking agency which is anti-human would hide behind a different name. No, I don't have an answer: "anti human-trafficking agency" leaves no room for ambiguity but the anti on its own looks odd, and "agency against human trafficking" would presumably be too wordy for a caption. Nor do I have an answer to the rather more serious problem of human trafficking (which might, I suppose, sometimes be better described as "trafficking which is anti-human").

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #5522 on: 23 December, 2019, 06:49:16 pm »
No grammatical mistakes as such here. But wft is it about?
BRISTOL24/7 MAN OF THE YEAR 2019: JUDD TRUMP
By MARTIN BOOTH, Friday Nov 29, 2019

Judd Trump was at Heathrow Airport about to fly to China for the World Open when he spoke to Bristol24/7. Just over a week later, he was flying back to the UK the winner of that tournament; and the following week travelled the shorter distance to Belfast for the Northern Ireland Open, from which he also returned the winner.

As this magazine was going to press, the 30-year-old former Hartcliffe School pupil was preparing for the UK Championship, and he will be traveling to York as the favourite to lift yet another trophy in what has been an incredible 2019. Trump won the world title for the first time in April and has dominated the sport in the past year, winning three ranking events and a second Masters crown.

………………………………

Bristol24/7 relies on your support to fund our independent journalism and social impact projects. Become a member and enjoy exclusive perks from just £5 per month.

………………………………

So what will he remember most about 2019? “I think obviously what comes to mind is the World Championships win,” Trump said over the phone from Heathrow Terminal Two. “And also beating Ronnie (O’Sullivan) in the Masters was pretty special, giving me the confidence to do what I did in the World Championships.”
Only in the fourth paragraph is the secret revealed.
In those World Championships in Sheffield in May, Trump played some of the best snooker of his career as he beat John Higgins 18-9 to win his debut world title and take home a cheque for £500,000, making him the first player to amass more than £1m in a single season.

« Reply #5523 on: 30 December, 2019, 12:14:12 am »
An Edinburgh restaurant announces proudly on the way in that "our policy is to cloakroom all outdoor coats."

While I don't have a problem with that policy in itself, I'm firmly of the belief that such verbing of nouns should be garbaged.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5524 on: 30 December, 2019, 12:47:22 am »
Verbing weirds language...

I described a dropped kerb at a pedestrian crossing as too puddly for David to use and he agreed. Puddly ought to be a real word...