Author Topic: Anglepoise refurbishment  (Read 12210 times)

Re: Anglepoise refurbishment
« Reply #25 on: 24 October, 2020, 02:01:25 pm »
All good stuff - I've just joined YACF coz I have two old anglepoise lamps that need refurb but both have their bases missing. The 'pin' bit that sticks into the base is appx 30mm long by 10mm diameter and obviously is a tight fit in the hole in the base. Anglepoise reckon the model I've got is an Apex 90 but that's been discontinued and so can't help - but looking at their range most of them have a 'pin' type thing sticking into a base so does anyone know if another model has a 30mm deep x 10 mm dia hole and where would I get a base (or two?)?

The Model 90 does indeed use a 10mm dia pin at the base.  When the star washer broke in my model 90 (which meant that you couldn't pick the lamp up without the base dropping off) I 'temporarily' replaced it with a M10 nut and bolt. That was thirty years ago and the temporary bolt is still in there. The correct model 90 base is a cast iron disc with an aluminium cover over it, about 200mm dia.

It is possible that you have 'industrial' lamps which never had bases with them in the first place; in my conventional Apex 90 the pin was not connected to the lower fork but from what you say it sounds as if yours are connected, and this would be what I'd expect in an industrial lamp.  Industrial lamps are fitted to a range of brackets, similar to those depicted in the advertisement I posted in an older post.

Unfinished, reproduction cast iron bases for anglepoise can be bought on e-bay but they are £20 a pop. They would need to be smoothed off and painted, or if round, perhaps fitted with a cover. Both round (model 90 etc) and two step (1227) types are made.

I have seen various interesting upcycling efforts at anglepoise bases; essentially any weighty/large thing can be used provided it has a suitable hole in it. Obvious choices would be

- an upcycled weightlifting weight
- an upcycled brake disc from a car

Both the above would need a small bracket to be fabricated to accept the lamp base pin.  This would be easily done using steel tube with a 10mm bore, welded to a bracket that (say) bolted onto the 'heavy thing'.  However unless the base pin were cross-drilled or fitted with a star washer, you wouldn't be able to pick the lamp up without the base falling off; I found this rather inconvenient.

Right now there is an Anglepoise on e-bay with a base cover made from what looks like an upcycled VW hubcap. Apparently that makes it worth nearly £200, leastways that is what the vendor is asking for it.

cheers

Does anyone know how to dismantle the fork from the base unit of the Model 90?

« Reply #26 on: 24 October, 2020, 02:11:38 pm »
IIRC there is usually a 'starlock washer' which is a one-use only fastener

this needs to be broken off before the fork will come out of the base.

Obviously you will need a replacement of the correct size when refitting.

cheers

« Reply #27 on: 26 October, 2020, 11:31:06 am »
IIRC there is usually a 'starlock washer' which is a one-use only fastener

this needs to be broken off before the fork will come out of the base.

Obviously you will need a replacement of the correct size when refitting.

cheers

Thanks so much for this.

« Reply #28 on: 29 March, 2024, 12:27:25 am »
Collectors item. Deffo.
I have some Anglepoise nut-and-bolt-ery, sitting in a drawer.
If you need it.

ETA - I'd get the shade shot / bead blasted, before having it stove enamelled.
LED blubs are the future....

Hi, do you still have the parts - I have two lamps missing minor parts - willing to buy them from you if you have them. Thx

« Reply #29 on: 29 March, 2024, 07:52:06 am »
Collectors item. Deffo.
I have some Anglepoise nut-and-bolt-ery, sitting in a drawer.
If you need it.

ETA - I'd get the shade shot / bead blasted, before having it stove enamelled.
LED blubs are the future....

Hi, do you still have the parts - I have two lamps missing minor parts - willing to buy them from you if you have them. Thx
I don't have much. What I have is pictured below. You are welcome to some or all of it.