Author Topic: Steepest Climb in an Audax  (Read 10335 times)

RideHard

• The London Grimpeur
  • ACH Organiser
    • Steam Rides & Chiltern Grimpeurs
Steepest Climb in an Audax
« on: 12 January, 2014, 11:07:55 am »
What Audax event has the steepest climb ???

The new London-Oxford-London (LOL) 200 includes a hill with a 32.8% gradient.. (there is a fast flat alternate route)
Is this the steepest road in UK  :thumbsup:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/407447882722214/
www.steamride.co.uk 9th Mar 2014
https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=79018
ACH SR: Dean 300; Steam Ride LOL 200; Quainton Express 100; University Challenge 600; London Circuit 400; C2C; Hadrian's Wall; Chiltern Pub Crawl; White Hart.   2022 AUK: ACH SR; Wessex SR; LEL; LeJog

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
Re: Steepest Climb in an Audax
« Reply #1 on: 12 January, 2014, 11:11:49 am »
I think Hardknott pass goes up to 37% - that's on the Pendle 600.
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

RideHard

• The London Grimpeur
  • ACH Organiser
« Reply #2 on: 12 January, 2014, 11:14:53 am »
ACH SR: Dean 300; Steam Ride LOL 200; Quainton Express 100; University Challenge 600; London Circuit 400; C2C; Hadrian's Wall; Chiltern Pub Crawl; White Hart.   2022 AUK: ACH SR; Wessex SR; LEL; LeJog

« Reply #3 on: 12 January, 2014, 11:23:03 am »
Surely it would be more accurate if you used the same software/website to compare different climbs?

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #4 on: 12 January, 2014, 11:34:39 am »
I've been on one, can't remember what it was, that used a cafe on the front at Robin Hood's Bay.  That's a steeper climb than Hardknott I reckon, though short and straight which helps.  Hardknott it depends on whether you can use the whole road on the bends.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

RideHard

• The London Grimpeur
  • ACH Organiser
« Reply #5 on: 12 January, 2014, 11:42:38 am »
Surely it would be more accurate if you used the same software/website to compare different climbs?

Garmin BaseCamp - graph - elevation (move cursor along route to monitor gradient)

« Reply #6 on: 12 January, 2014, 12:44:05 pm »

Garmin BaseCamp - graph - elevation (move cursor along route to monitor gradient)

But that's not how you've chosen to measure the gradient on the Hardknott Pass. For any comparison to be valid you have to use identical measurement techniques for all.

caerau

« Reply #7 on: 12 January, 2014, 06:21:18 pm »
These things are always a bit dodgy anyway, not sure I'd trust basecamp either.  It also depends upon where you measure the gradient, how the measurement was made (satellite is probably well dodgy).  The steepest bits are usually the inside bend of a hairpin which of course you can avoid by going around the outside.
If you think that climb is anywhere near as hard as Hardknot, Wrynose, Bwlch y Groes etc. I suspect most would beg to differ.

I'm sure it's a great workout anyway and an excellent ride :-)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #8 on: 12 January, 2014, 06:32:58 pm »
Idiot english question:

When folks reference "Bwlch y Groes", are they mainly referring to
the climb from the south (with 12 chevrons in 2.4km), or
the Easterly approach from Lake Vrynwy(sp?), which is 2 chevrons over about 5km!

I've only ridden the latter (on MC1k). Which other audaxen feature either version?

(from a quick play with bikehike, ByG(S) is vvvv similar to Hardknott in stats terms. )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #9 on: 12 January, 2014, 06:37:43 pm »
The Bwlch y Groes is the steep bit from Dina's Mawddwy, the other way from Vyrnwy has some steep bits too. I do it every month, it doesn't get easier!
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #10 on: 12 January, 2014, 08:00:31 pm »
What Audax event has the steepest climb ???
Dunno, just looked at a bit of the VoR route (Lynmouth to Lynton) which seemed steep to me and that was > 40%

Phil W

« Reply #11 on: 12 January, 2014, 09:15:47 pm »
The Flatlands (grabs bike and leaves...)

« Reply #12 on: 12 January, 2014, 09:17:09 pm »

Not as daft as you might think. That cobbled descent in Lincoln was pretty steep!

Euan Uzami

« Reply #13 on: 12 January, 2014, 09:26:49 pm »

Not as daft as you might think. That cobbled descent in Lincoln was pretty steep!
the aptly named "Steep Hill". ;)

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #14 on: 12 January, 2014, 09:28:53 pm »
Steepest over what distance?

« Reply #15 on: 12 January, 2014, 09:54:49 pm »
There are lots of little spikey bits on climbs I've done that felt steeper than the steep bits of Hardknott. Even on the Pendle, the descent of Rosedale felt steeper in places than the climb of Hardknott. The thing about Harknott is that it stays steep for a long time. You can't rush the steep bits in the way you can some other climbs (eg Park Rash and the Coal Road).

Steepness doesn't really matter much to me - 34/28 gets me up anything, albeit slowly. I find climbing Otley Chevin on fixed much harder than riding up Hardknott on gears. Props to the guys that rode the Pendle on fixed. Greenhow on fixed is deth for me, and they dispatched that before breakfast on the Pendle.

Euan Uzami

« Reply #16 on: 12 January, 2014, 09:59:34 pm »
Someone just needs to put us all out of our misery and invent an audax that involves the 40%er in Harlech and have done with it.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #17 on: 12 January, 2014, 10:15:37 pm »
Someone just needs to put us all out of our misery and invent an audax that involves the 40%er in Harlech and have done with it.

The BCM passes by within a couple of hundred metres.
There's nothing ( much! ) to stop you detouring and taking it in.

I did consider it, but decided against it!

« Reply #18 on: 12 January, 2014, 10:20:48 pm »
Misery is an event which twists and turns, with infos everywhere, just to take in the hills.

caerau

« Reply #19 on: 13 January, 2014, 08:07:42 am »

Nail on head.  I saw a sportive claiming a 33% climb in the New Forest once.  The New Forest is flat as a pancake- I haven't ridden there but it wouldn't surprise me if you could get some speed up in advance and sail up it without pedalling ;)

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #20 on: 13 January, 2014, 08:31:05 am »
I rode up a curb once on an audax. That would be close to a vertical gradient. It was hard work.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

caerau

« Reply #21 on: 13 January, 2014, 09:56:32 am »
I need my old mountain bike for that sort of thing ;)

« Reply #22 on: 13 January, 2014, 10:02:56 am »

Nail on head.  I saw a sportive claiming a 33% climb in the New Forest once.  The New Forest is flat as a pancake- I haven't ridden there but it wouldn't surprise me if you could get some speed up in advance and sail up it without pedalling ;)

I can only assume they mean Blissford Hill which is steep but short - it's a seated climb because otherwise your front wheel defies gravity... I have done it so it can,t be too bad.
Reine de la Fauche

« Reply #23 on: 13 January, 2014, 10:05:58 am »
Interesting - I find the front wheel lifting is peculiar to being seated.  Mind you, I've never ridden in the New Forest.

caerau

« Reply #24 on: 13 January, 2014, 10:34:03 am »
It's not a proper climb until the front wheel is defying gravity and the rear wheel is losing grip and skidding round as you grind  ;D

Of course this is normally the point at which moi gets off or falls off  :facepalm: