Author Topic: The Shark 200  (Read 45063 times)

Re: The Shark 200 - Saturday 9th April
« Reply #125 on: 15 March, 2017, 12:16:00 pm »
I'm in  :D  but can't deny a touch nervous as I'm a little out of practice.

I managed a full-value Greenwich Mean Climb season before last. There was a descent on that (Downe Road/Cudham Hill) where I thought "Phew, I'm glad we didn't have to climb that". Seems we do for The Shark...

« Reply #126 on: 15 March, 2017, 01:00:09 pm »
I'm in and also looking forward to it! A nice warm-up for the Hard Boiled / Dorset Coast the following weekend!!

« Reply #127 on: 15 March, 2017, 06:07:19 pm »
SWRC will be in attendance .
See you there.

« Reply #128 on: 20 March, 2017, 08:56:29 am »
Lovely day a-wheel on the route check yesterday with akin and fussbullclub. Wildlife spotted: 3 dead badgers, an alpaca, Shetland ponies, heron flying over Ide Hill and a stag (or a hind?) in the middle of a field at Toys Hill. The views along the way lift my spirits every time.

Having to run it on a Sunday to get the hall booking is interesting as there was much less traffic, though fewer opportunities to buy cake in Mayfield - I'll be interested in feedback after the ride on what to do next year.
“That slope may look insignificant, but it's going to be my destiny" - Fitzcarraldo

« Reply #129 on: 29 March, 2017, 06:56:57 am »
Looking forward to the ride this Sunday!!!

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
« Reply #130 on: 30 March, 2017, 08:41:55 am »
I'm in...not sure about the looking forward to it yet though  ;D

Fixed?
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

« Reply #131 on: 30 March, 2017, 09:09:16 am »

Fixed?

Laughing my head off here!

Having said that young Andrew (do you remember him from prize giving at compasses?) did ride this fixed. But his geared bike is a Pashley, so... He did walk up the last climb or two though (fair enough!).

Anyway, I am booked and Jonathan is coming down from Swaffam for it, a bit of BCM practice.

I really recommend a late lunch at the bikers cafe in Wesson (Wessop?) though you will have to endure the disparaging looks of big hairy bikers. The ones on motorbikes I mean.

And remember to keep 5% in the tank for the last 2 hills....

A

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
« Reply #132 on: 30 March, 2017, 09:16:24 am »

Fixed?

Laughing my head off here!

Having said that young Andrew (do you remember him from prize giving at compasses?) did ride this fixed. But his geared bike is a Pashley, so... He did walk up the last climb or two though (fair enough!).

Anyway, I am booked and Jonathan is coming down from Swaffam for it, a bit of BCM practice.

I really recommend a late lunch at the bikers cafe in Wesson (Wessop?) though you will have to endure the disparaging looks of big hairy bikers. The ones on motorbikes I mean.

And remember to keep 5% in the tank for the last 2 hills....

A

I nearly didn't mention it, because someone might say the same to me ... the shortest gear I can fit without lengthening the chain is 64-inches and I'm not sure my knees could take it!  I rode up those last two with Ian last year, another Cambridge rider, who was on a singlespeed — he walked, I rode, we got to the tops together  :facepalm: 

I'll be on gears  ::-)  See you there  :thumbsup:

« Reply #133 on: 30 March, 2017, 09:54:27 am »
Fixed? Was thinking more about Carbon! Just kidding. LEL bike shake downs begin, I have a rather high mileage April planned although it might not work out like that if Jan, Feb and march are anything to go by :facepalm:

« Reply #134 on: 30 March, 2017, 10:02:57 am »
Fixed? Was thinking more about Carbon! Just kidding. LEL bike shake downs begin, I have a rather high mileage April planned although it might not work out like that if Jan, Feb and march are anything to go by :facepalm:

Indeed! We need to be right on it from now in... Which means getting those plush bikes sorted :-)

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
« Reply #135 on: 30 March, 2017, 10:03:55 am »

Indeed! We need to be right on it from now in... Which means getting those plush bikes sorted :-)

The ones with only one gear, right?  :P ;D

« Reply #136 on: 30 March, 2017, 10:52:58 am »
Come on Nick, not even Tomsk is doing LEL fixed.... Someone will, of course, someone totally mad, who likes a challenge wrapped inside a challenge... now who would that be?

« Reply #137 on: 30 March, 2017, 11:50:12 am »
I heard some bloke from Cambridge rode LEL on fixed* a Brompton last time....there is always a nutter about!

I rode the Croix last night and very much enjoyed using gears. It made for a very gentle ride yet a reasonable pace (for after work with panier and all that). 34/32 will have to be good enough for this weekend and I am pretty sure it will be, alternatively I'll drop in a few steps on foot and enjoy the whole experience regardless. I can't consider fixed for The Shark, more so because I would be done in by the down hills. I have the Arrow on Fixed to look forward to and then the fixed will be off Audax duty for a couple of months I expect.

*edit :-[

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #138 on: 30 March, 2017, 11:54:32 am »
And then there is the lunatic who used to go everywhere on a Brompton.  Until some kind hearted soul did him a favour and nicked it.  I think it was of those random acts of kindness we're all told we should perform every now and then. 

« Reply #139 on: 30 March, 2017, 01:36:19 pm »
I heard some bloke from Cambridge rode LEL on fixed last time....there is always a nutter about!

I rode the Croix last night and very much enjoyed using gears. It made for a very gentle ride yet a reasonable pace (for after work with panier and all that). 34/32 will have to be good enough for this weekend and I am pretty sure it will be, alternatively I'll drop in a few steps on foot and enjoy the whole experience regardless. I can't consider fixed for The Shark, more so because I would be done in by the down hills. I have the Arrow on Fixed to look forward to and then the fixed will be off Audax duty for a couple of months I expect.

Fixed = London & East Anglia :-) 34x32 will be fine (well it better be as it will be what I am using!). Last year I had a 28x27 bottom which is about the same - I certainly used it but didn't feel like I needed anything lower.

See you there.

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
« Reply #140 on: 30 March, 2017, 01:42:28 pm »
34x25 got me up everything last year.  I'm about to fit a new chain + cassette, which happens to be x27, so should be a bit better on the big climbs.

« Reply #141 on: 30 March, 2017, 01:48:46 pm »
Fixed = London & East Anglia :-) 34x32 will be fine (well it better be as it will be what I am using!). Last year I had a 28x27 bottom which is about the same - I certainly used it but didn't feel like I needed anything lower.

Are you riding your Tripster?

Turns out my brake shudder was caused by a knackered headset so I'll be riding an old hybrid frame re-fitted with drops. I have managed to squeeze in a 32 tooth casette at the back though, and overall my bike+rider weight is the same as last year, so have no excuses for walking up hills ;D

rob

« Reply #142 on: 30 March, 2017, 02:20:54 pm »
Just about goes past the end of my street both ways.   I, however, will be in Lincolnshire.

Hope you all have a good day out.

« Reply #143 on: 30 March, 2017, 03:27:20 pm »
44x16 got me round everything bar Hogtrough on the routecheck so not too sure what you lot are worrying about  ;D
“That slope may look insignificant, but it's going to be my destiny" - Fitzcarraldo

Phil W

« Reply #144 on: 30 March, 2017, 03:32:03 pm »
And then there is the lunatic who used to go everywhere on a Brompton.  Until some kind hearted soul did him a favour and nicked it.  I think it was of those random acts of kindness we're all told we should perform every now and then.

How is the new Brompton ?

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
« Reply #145 on: 30 March, 2017, 03:33:21 pm »

What new Brompton?  Can't justify replacing it at the moment, as I don't commute any longer  :(

Phil W

« Reply #146 on: 30 March, 2017, 03:38:36 pm »

What new Brompton?  Can't justify replacing it at the moment, as I don't commute any longer  :(

I was hinting (in a far too subtle joke) that Oscar's Dad had a new Brompton that might just be your old one.

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
« Reply #147 on: 30 March, 2017, 03:43:10 pm »

I was hinting (in a far too subtle joke) that Oscar's Dad had a new Brompton that might just be your old one.

Ah, soz, didn't twig   :-[ ::-)

« Reply #148 on: 30 March, 2017, 04:09:21 pm »
44x16 got me round everything bar Hogtrough on the routecheck so not too sure what you lot are worrying about  ;D
It's more the 18 stone on top of the bike I worry about  ;D Although admittedly I do approach every ride these day wondering what the worst is that could happen if I took the fixed, I think this time it will be wise to stick to the geared plan!

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
« Reply #149 on: 30 March, 2017, 04:14:09 pm »
It's more the 18 stone on top of the bike I worry about  ;D Although admittedly I do approach every ride these day wondering what the worst is that could happen if I took the fixed, I think this time it will be wise to stick to the geared plan!

I saw that and thought about it ... for about 30 seconds  :facepalm:

I've ridden hilly on fixed — once even sticking to 72-inches to prove a point — but: a) it's hard on the knees, and b) it takes longer, possibly significantly longer, and c) it's a Sunday, so have to be home.

And I'm feeling wimpy at the moment — not enough winter miles  :(