Author Topic: A random thread for small things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 3010447 times)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: A random thread for small things that don't really warrant a thread of their own
« Reply #24450 on: 20 September, 2019, 07:30:27 pm »
We've had an open well in the garden for the last 25 years and none of our dogs has ever jumped in.  Cats, dunno - even at the best of times it's not advisable to sniff it.

Isn't there a nursery rhyme about a cat down a well?

hellymedic

• Just do it!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: A random thread for small things that don't really warrant a thread of their own
« Reply #24452 on: 20 September, 2019, 07:55:33 pm »
For kitchen sink touring, presumably?

« Reply #24453 on: 20 September, 2019, 08:07:40 pm »
There is but the cat did not jump, it was pushed (and rescued later).
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #24454 on: 21 September, 2019, 05:42:47 pm »
As you might have picked up (especially if you’ve been int Health and Fitness lately) I’m doing the Couch to 5k programme, basically so get a fit enough to ride my bike again. Well, that and I’ve signed up to do a half marathon with my boy next spring.

Anyway, I decided I’d  one out on Farcebrak and publish my maps. Being a paranoid ex-IT professional I decided to anonymise the data. There wasn’t anything worth publishing after that; I’m not running far enough to get out of the anonymisation zone  ::-) ;D
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #24456 on: 23 September, 2019, 08:56:39 pm »
Yebbut, have you looked at USAnian domestic appliances, light switches, etc?   :sick: :sick: :sick:

I grant you car aesthetic design seems to be at its nadir right now, all over the world.

99% of medium-to-large saloons are identical.  Is that a Kia?  A Chevy?  A Nissan?  A Fnord?  A Honda with delusions of grandeur?  Oh, it's an Audi!  Explains the dickish manner in which it was driven.

Also, motorhomes.  Why are they all beige with inexplicable brown swirly patterns resembling, well, absolutely nothing?  It's only going to be camouflage if you're camping out in the ruins of a recently-bombed chocolate factory.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #24457 on: 24 September, 2019, 12:00:22 am »
Also, motorhomes.  Why are they all beige with inexplicable brown swirly patterns resembling, well, absolutely nothing?

Something I have contemplated many a time while sitting in my Akto surrounded by white goods inhabited by people who make comments like "Wow, you're travelling really light." and "Oh, I used to have a stove like that when I was in the military."

I assume motorhomes and caravans are stuck in the same sort of design rut that computers were in the days before Jony Ive came along.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #24458 on: 24 September, 2019, 07:52:27 am »
There is but the cat did not jump, it was pushed (and rescued later).

IIRC although Johnny Stout did indeed pull her out, there was nothing to say that he pulled her out alive...
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #24459 on: 24 September, 2019, 08:40:28 am »
Yebbut, have you looked at USAnian domestic appliances, light switches, etc?   :sick: :sick: :sick:

I grant you car aesthetic design seems to be at its nadir right now, all over the world.

99% of medium-to-large saloons are identical.  Is that a Kia?  A Chevy?  A Nissan?  A Fnord?  A Honda with delusions of grandeur?  Oh, it's an Audi!  Explains the dickish manner in which it was driven.

Also, motorhomes.  Why are they all beige with inexplicable brown swirly patterns resembling, well, absolutely nothing?  It's only going to be camouflage if you're camping out in the ruins of a recently-bombed chocolate factory.
We had some of those in Bristol until recently but they've all been turned into "developments" now. Never saw a camper van in any though...
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #24460 on: 24 September, 2019, 02:14:59 pm »
I assume motorhomes and caravans are stuck in the same sort of design rut that computers were in the days before Jony Ive came along.

European caravans seem to have made at least some concession to ærodynamics and are a bit more wedgey than of old.  Their USAnian equivalents, Airstreams and teardrop campers1 apart, are still very much utilitarian wheeled cuboids set high above their wheels and matched only in mass and drag coefficient by the monstrous fifth-wheel campers that tower as high again above the six-foot tall full-sized V8 pickup dragging it along.

1: My grate frend Mr Mueller tows one behind his Mk 1 Mazda MX-5, which must drive the rednecks apoplectic
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #24461 on: 24 September, 2019, 02:54:55 pm »
I have just booked a week on a narrowboat for Jan and me. 7 nights from Middlewich along the Shropshire Union Canal. That's something we haven't done before but have quite often talked about...
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #24462 on: 24 September, 2019, 02:58:11 pm »

European caravans seem to have made at least some concession to ærodynamics and are a bit more wedgey than of old.  Their USAnian equivalents, Airstreams and teardrop campers1 apart, are still very much utilitarian wheeled cuboids set high above their wheels and matched only in mass and drag coefficient by the monstrous fifth-wheel campers that tower as high again above the six-foot tall full-sized V8 pickup dragging it along.

1: My grate frend Mr Mueller tows one behind his Mk 1 Mazda MX-5, which must drive the rednecks apoplectic
There were a couple of fifth-wheel campers on a campsite I stayed at a couple of weeks ago, just north of Cirencester. They looked way too big to be towed by a pickup, reckon they'd have needed an HGV. The car parked outside one was... a Mazda MX5.  :D

« Reply #24463 on: 24 September, 2019, 06:41:19 pm »
I have just booked a week on a narrowboat for Jan and me. 7 nights from Middlewich along the Shropshire Union Canal. That's something we haven't done before but have quite often talked about...
Enjoy. It's great fun and a very good way to relax. The first holiday MrsC and I had was on the Grand Union.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #24464 on: 26 September, 2019, 09:21:38 am »
I'm writing a piece about the health benefits of beetroot. I really really really want to use the headline "Won't you help me Dr Beet?" but I fear the client won't get the reference. Also have to be careful about making medical claims, so they'd probably reject it on those grounds anyway.

Pah! This job is no fun.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #24465 on: 27 September, 2019, 09:32:44 am »
Last Sunday peace and tranquillity descended on city centres across the world as many went car-free for the day.

This annual event started in the UK, in Bath, in 1994 with a road closure and street party for the Environmental Transport Association’s Green Transport Week.
I was living in Bath in 1994. I don't remember this at all!
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/sep/26/pollutionwatch-how-does-world-car-free-day-affect-emissions

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #24466 on: 27 September, 2019, 09:51:31 am »
I'm writing a piece about the health benefits of beetroot. I really really really want to use the headline "Won't you help me Dr Beet?" but I fear the client won't get the reference. Also have to be careful about making medical claims, so they'd probably reject it on those grounds anyway.

Pah! This job is no fun.

Detox is a lie.  Mentioned this to MrsT in another context and she replied "yes, but Americans understand it".  Still trying not to work out what that implies.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #24467 on: 27 September, 2019, 09:54:06 am »
Last Sunday peace and tranquillity descended on city centres across the world as many went car-free for the day.

This annual event started in the UK, in Bath, in 1994 with a road closure and street party for the Environmental Transport Association’s Green Transport Week.
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/sep/26/pollutionwatch-how-does-world-car-free-day-affect-emissions
So was I, and nor do I.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #24468 on: 27 September, 2019, 07:12:09 pm »

So was I, and nor do I.
I don't remember you, either! Probably...  8)

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #24469 on: 27 September, 2019, 07:30:20 pm »
I went to Bath once, but I don’t remember the year.  8)
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #24470 on: 27 September, 2019, 09:02:13 pm »
I had a bath once.  I don't remember the year either. :)
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #24471 on: 27 September, 2019, 11:01:42 pm »
There's lots of Bath I don't remember and lots of Bath I do remember thats no longer there. Did I remember that right?
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

essexian

« Reply #24472 on: 30 September, 2019, 12:04:45 pm »
Does anyone know what is causing the smell of ironing starch out there?

Just back from a ride around the lanes around Haughton where I notice the smell of ironing starch in at least four different locations. Not noticed it before so assume that its something to do with the heavy rain we have had recently?

Any ideas gratefully received.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #24473 on: 30 September, 2019, 04:18:44 pm »
Are fields of recently cut straw in the area? That’s usually smelly when it gets wet.

essexian

« Reply #24474 on: 30 September, 2019, 04:38:29 pm »
Hum.....can't say I had noticed when I was out earlier but as its farm land, it seems possible.

I suppose that's excuse to go out for another ride tomorrow then...…  :thumbsup: