Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1627340 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #2475 on: 16 November, 2012, 02:06:50 pm »
Electric oven, gas hob.  Best of both worlds.
Oh yep. But if I have to choose just one fuel, it would be gas every time. I don't use the oven much, mind.

Absolutely.  The failings of gas ovens are minor compared to those of even relatively good electric hobs.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #2476 on: 16 November, 2012, 04:19:32 pm »
Working tomorrow and Sunday.
Meh.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #2477 on: 17 November, 2012, 11:48:47 am »
Bugger. Our oven doesn't work.

The buttons on the front weren't working so we couldn't change the time when the clocks went back. Turned the oven off and on again and now the clock is flashing 00:00 and won't switch on at all without a time (any time) being set.

I'd be tempted to look at the buttons, and check if there is something simple there that is the problem (like the contacts on them need cleaning) before hacking the oven functionality.

Right finally going to try fixing my oven later. Before I go cutting and crimping wires I'm going to try and get the whole clock unit out as it was just the buttons not working rather than the clock itself.

Would the aerosol contact cleaner that you can get at Maplins/Halfords be suitable bearing in mind we're dealing with a pcb and gubbins rather than just a straight plug/wire connection?
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
« Reply #2478 on: 17 November, 2012, 11:53:04 am »
Oh yep. But if I have to choose just one fuel, it would be gas every time. I don't use the oven much, mind.

Absolutely.  The failings of gas ovens are minor compared to those of even relatively good electric hobs.

Induction hobs included?
Wombat

Marco Stefano

• Apply some pressure, you lose some pressure...
« Reply #2479 on: 17 November, 2012, 05:42:58 pm »
Meh.

I have to work the weekend too. Meh indeed.

At least I managed to ride in today on quiet roads.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #2480 on: 17 November, 2012, 05:58:59 pm »
Meh.

I have to work the weekend too. Meh indeed.

At least I managed to ride in today on quiet roads.

Double meh - I'm getting a lift in. OTOH it's only 6 Anna bit km each way and I got to go to the pub briefly this arvo.

« Reply #2481 on: 17 November, 2012, 11:20:44 pm »
Double meh - I'm getting a lift in. OTOH it's only 6 Anna bit km each way and I got to go to the pub briefly this arvo.
6 annas per km? That's remarkably cheap. Are you sure your rickshaw-wallah is earning the minimum wage?
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #2482 on: 18 November, 2012, 10:30:35 am »
JLP.  It's a Xylophone. By definition it's made of wood.  There is no need to call it a, "Wooden Xylophone".  If you're going to sell "educational" toys do it properly
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #2483 on: 18 November, 2012, 10:45:47 am »
...and another thing.  Which clot thought it was a good idea to map U/u to Θ/θ when it's right next door to Y/y which maps to Y/υ?  Couldn't you have kept ;/: as they were and used Q instead?
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #2484 on: 18 November, 2012, 11:26:50 am »
Just spent the morning unblocking the bog.  >:(
Deep joy.

I'm looking forward to going back to work on Tuesday for a rest.  :demon:
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #2485 on: 22 November, 2012, 09:12:54 am »
On-one, please stop doing your framesets at stupidly cheap prices.  I don't need another Inbred 29er, but the fact you have them for £140 (just for the frame) is making it hard to resist.

The only thing stopping me is the fact they don't have them in green!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2486 on: 22 November, 2012, 09:40:47 am »
They are selling Macinatos for pennies, too.  I really really really don't need one, but I've been pondering about having a stripped down fixie for day rides.
Getting there...

« Reply #2487 on: 22 November, 2012, 09:58:37 am »
On-one, please stop doing your framesets at stupidly cheap prices.  I don't need another Inbred 29er, but the fact you have them for £140 (just for the frame) is making it hard to resist.

How hard is it to just NOT BUY ONE if you don't need it?

I've been doing that all my life, helped by a general lack of space money.

I realise it goes against N+1 and all that, but just think what you spend the £140 on that you do need...
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

LindaG

« Reply #2488 on: 22 November, 2012, 10:13:36 am »

How hard is it to just NOT BUY ONE if you don't need it?

I've been doing that all my life, helped by a general lack of space money.

I realise it goes against N+1 and all that, but just think what you spend the £140 on that you do need...

Arch.  Are you NASA?

tiermat

« Reply #2489 on: 22 November, 2012, 11:52:59 am »
Arch, as much as I appreciate your sentiment, I have a NICE tax rebate from our friends in frozen places and I am trying to work out how to spend it.

All the necessities are covered, along with contingency, so why not allow myself a little luxury?
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2490 on: 22 November, 2012, 11:58:39 am »
6 annas per km? That's remarkably cheap. Are you sure your rickshaw-wallah is earning the minimum wage?
;D Thank you Bledlow, that give me a nice laugh this morning.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2491 on: 22 November, 2012, 11:59:30 am »

Induction hobs included?
If an induction hob is what I'm thinking of, then the only person I know who has one, hates it.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

HTFB

• The Monkey and the Plywood Violin
« Reply #2492 on: 22 November, 2012, 12:04:33 pm »
What sort of idiot fits a bathroom without any isolation valves on the supply at all? Or any access to, for example, the cistern?

And why, when Wiesław (who is no idiot) was doing all that work---we fitted a gas boiler and replumbed the entire flat, from the main inwards, except for that bathroom---did he not install isolators on the bits of pipe you can get at?

I'm going to have turn off the boiler and the main, and swap out the shower mixer valve on a single kettle's worth of tea. Wish me luck, boys, I'm going in.
Not especially helpful or mature

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2493 on: 22 November, 2012, 12:09:14 pm »
Feeling ill again.  FFS!

« Reply #2494 on: 22 November, 2012, 12:42:36 pm »
Arch, as much as I appreciate your sentiment, I have a NICE tax rebate from our friends in frozen places and I am trying to work out how to spend it.

All the necessities are covered, along with contingency, so why not allow myself a little luxury?

In which case, it's not really a grumble is it?   ;) ;D

Never grumble about having a bit of luxury!
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

tiermat

« Reply #2495 on: 22 November, 2012, 03:12:45 pm »
Fair point.

Onwards, in a similar vein... ;D

LBS texts me to say they have got my new helmet in stock.

I drive down to get it (no time to ride down and back), to find that they not only have the helmet in stock BUT they have just got a Ridley X-Ride Disc in stock...

Grrrrrr

Must. Resist.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #2496 on: 22 November, 2012, 03:14:00 pm »

Induction hobs included?
If an induction hob is what I'm thinking of, then the only person I know who has one, hates it.

I've quite liked the 3 induction hobs I've used in terms of their heating - but I've found their controls to be a complete batard to use if you've got damp/mucky/anything less than white room clean hands, which isn't very helpful.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2497 on: 22 November, 2012, 04:09:28 pm »

In which case, it's not really a grumble is it?   ;) ;D

Never grumble about having a bit of luxury!

Arch: A little luxury :D
Getting there...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2498 on: 22 November, 2012, 05:29:17 pm »
Why oh why did the penpushers of the NHS rename PII (Personally Identifiable Information), which, admittedly, could be mistaken in very rare circumstances for Professional Indemnity Insurance, as PID (Personally Identifiable Data)?

Are the bureaucrats so remote that they have never heard of Pelvic Inflammatory Disease?
Getting there...

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #2499 on: 22 November, 2012, 05:36:46 pm »
Are the bureaucrats so remote that they have never heard of Pelvic Inflammatory Disease?

Yes.

You'd be unsurprised at what non-medically knowledgeable people do not know.  Or indeed medics sometimes if ATOS stories of horror are to be believed!