Author Topic: A random thread for weatherish things that don't warrant a thread of their own.  (Read 281864 times)

Chris S

Wow. Buoy 62023 just off the south coast of Ireland is reporting 81mph gusts and a 29ft sea. It is still May, right? Or did I sleep particularly well last night and I've woken up in November?

Pray tell how can I also geekily look at things like the weather readings from such buoys

Chris S

Pray tell how can I also geekily look at things like the weather readings from such buoys

Hither: https://www.xcweather.co.uk/

Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
andrew you might want to follow https://twitter.com/BollocksWeather :)
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Rained essentially non stop in Derby/ Burton. Seems like autumn.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Rained essentially non stop in Derby/ Burton. Seems like autumn.

Objection: Autumn's the good bit with sensible temperatures and no hayfever.  This has been non-stop pish, but the pollen's still getting through.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
andrew you might want to follow https://twitter.com/BollocksWeather :)
I like that.

Does anyone know an alternative to the brilliant raintoday site for viewing rain radar data?

(It claims to be ending soon, and is often sticky/overloaded)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Have a look at https://www.netweather.tv/live-weather/radar   It seems to give a slightly clearer and more up to date image than raintoday although the interface is a bit busier.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Wow. Buoy 62023 just off the south coast of Ireland is reporting 81mph gusts and a 29ft sea. It is still May, right? Or did I sleep particularly well last night and I've woken up in November?

IMO the whole of Europe came out of winter 10° north of where it was last year.  I wouldn't be surprised to see snow in October here, a month earlier than usual.

https://earthsky.org/earth/gulf-stream-atlantic-weakest-in-over-1000-years/
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
What is that yellow thing in the sky ?? !!!!!!!    :o
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary

Air-sea rescue helichopter?
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse

It's a trap.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Have a look at https://www.netweather.tv/live-weather/radar   It seems to give a slightly clearer and more up to date image than raintoday although the interface is a bit busier.
Yes, I would agree! (at least they've put the zoom controls at the top, WHERE ICAN ACTUALLY SEE THEM!!!)

Thanks.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Ok weather.  This is not as advertised.  10/10 cloud cover all day. Oppressive mugginess and threatening thunderstorms.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Wednesday: had fan heater switched on in the Estate Office
Friday: had desk fan switched on in the Estate Office

???
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
The sudden attack of summer. On Wednesday I went running in Tracksters, long-sleeve shirt and shower proof jacket. By the time I got the top of Goat Gully (it's a gully where semi-wild goats live; about 600m at average 20% gradient) I was quite warm. But today in t-shirt and shorts I was sweating buckets before I even got to the gully.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
The sky was a funny shade of grey and it contained a weird yellow orb of light and heat. It's the end times I tell ye.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
My daughter shared a message she received from the Melbourne Bureau for Meteorology. “Today the temperature fell to 1.7°C. If you are less than 71 years 364 days old, it is the coldest May morning of your lifetime.”

In Australia, luxuries like house insulation and double glazing are mostly absent.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Must ask my chum in Budgewoi if he's shivering yet.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

The sky was a funny shade of grey and it contained a weird yellow orb of light and heat. It's the end times I tell ye.

Don’t worry, the haar will take care of any overheating you might suffer.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
There was haar at Portlethen and Stonehaven but not in Aberdeen   :sick:
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo

Don’t worry, the haar will take care of any overheating you might suffer.

We found some haar on our bike ride today  :thumbsup:

ravenbait

• Someone's imaginary friend
  • No, RB3, you can't have more tupperware.
    • Someone's imaginary friend
The haar came creeping over the hills coastwards of our house as if the weather had been reading some James Herbert recently and was inspired. Dull and grey in the morning until the sun beat it back, then it came slipping back over the afternoon.

The haar doesn't usually make it over the hills. It's quite creepy to see it spreading down like a thick blanket of syrup made from fog.

When I lived north of Aberdeen, summer weekend rides frequently ended with racing to stay ahead of the haar on the way home.

Sam
https://ravenbait.com
"Created something? Hah! But that would be irresponsible! And unethical! I would never, ever make... more than one."

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
My daughter shared a message she received from the Melbourne Bureau for Meteorology. “Today the temperature fell to 1.7°C. If you are less than 71 years 364 days old, it is the coldest May morning of your lifetime.”

In Australia, luxuries like house insulation and double glazing are mostly absent.
Just like Britain!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.