Author Topic: A random thread for weatherish things that don't warrant a thread of their own.  (Read 285617 times)

ian

Hopefully calm here as the roofer who promised to come Tuesday turned up Wednesday to promise to do the work on Thursday.

You can guess how that's working out. Of course, this after we'd turned down a quote from someone who could come on Friday because we didn't want to leave it that long.

Bin day tomorrow but it's probably not worth putting anything out.
Somerset have cancelled all bin and recycling for tomorrow. (I know you're not in Somerset, but you are close)
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Son & partner are scheduled to fly from Heathrow to Finland tomorrow. They are supposed to be driving there from N. Essex. We were supposed to be driving to their place for 11am, to see them off and keep the mice out. I told them I wasn't prepared to drive in that. I think their flight is scheduled to be at about 6pm. They were going to set off around 2pm.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
Winds like this happen a couple of times a year and we still carry on using recycling boxes and plastic bins. There's got to be a better solution.

TBH, m'lud, I think that the sort of wind which is liable to affect your neck of the woods tomorrow is more like a once every 20 year event.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Winds like this happen a couple of times a year and we still carry on using recycling boxes and plastic bins. There's got to be a better solution.

TBH, m'lud, I think that the sort of wind which is liable to affect your neck of the woods tomorrow is more like a once every 20 year event.
Tomorrow, yes. But that was written about Dudley not Eunice. It doesn't take 100mph winds (which probably won't happen tomorrow anyway) to fling recycling boxes and wheelie bins around.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Somerset have cancelled all bin and recycling for tomorrow. (I know you're not in Somerset, but you are close)
And your bin collections have now been cancelled as well.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

It's all calm again here, and the warning of yellow snow for tomorrow has been removed.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
And your bin collections have now been cancelled as well.
But only put off to Monday. Less disruption than Christmas and New Year!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
It's all calm again here, and the warning of yellow snow for tomorrow has been removed.

Is that the warning not to eat it?

I'm moored to a couple of pins in sodden mud. If any boat along this stretch breaks its moorings* overnight that's 30+ tonnes of steel with a <50 cm draught which could do rather more damage than a flying wheelie bin. It's eerily calm right now but I'm not sure whether to even think of going to bed.

* one did in the wind a week ago but was caught as it was at a reasonable hour
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

Is that the warning not to eat it?

;D

Of course in Malmo they only have red snow warnings
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
Good luck everyone darn sarf.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
(Presses ear to window)

The only thing stirring in the air out there is the bloody police helichopter >:(
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

The wind. I'm waiting. I'll be on a 1.5 tonne mini digger today so doubt I'll be at risk. Nearest trees are 20' away, privet  hedge. I do hope people heed the warnings in place and stay safe, especially at costal locations.
Here in Hertfordshire in  October1987 we had The Great Storm, I was a bricklayer at the time and remember the building site looked like a bomb site with 'green' newly laid walls either blown over or buckled by the wind.
In January 1990 we had The Burns Day hurricane which was equally as damaging. Didn't work that day as it was too windy but heard a terrific crump and discovered a four flue chimney had blown over onto a pub roof, no one injured thankfully..
The Burns Day storm is often forgotten even though it caused greater loss of life the the 1987 storm.
Currently all I can hear are blackbirds singing.

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/feb/18/storm-eunice-london-added-to-red-weather-warning-amid-danger-to-life

London! Carrie! I hadn't dreamed there could be danger to Carrie and her father, so many miles away.

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
And the snobes has arrived

IMG_9539_01 by The Pingus, on Flickr

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
On the occasion of the 1990 Burns Night storm I was enjoying a fine Haggis Lunch with colleagues on the top (15th) floor of an office block in Southend. We could feel the building moving in the wind.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
* Mr Larrington looks out of window, is relieved to see E17 rather than the majestic Serengeti, the Hanging Gardens of Babylon or Uluru.

On the matter of things falling over in Wind Events, back in the 1987 brouhaha a cow-orker had an internal wall collapse in his house, with hilarious expensive consequences.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Here in Londres Sud the wind is making good use of a couple of fence panels to lever a 6" x 6" fence post out of the ground.

ian

Gusty here on the North Downs. The bears are hunkering down.

Looking nervously at The Hole. That roofing company can go fuck themselves for not turning up Wednesday or Thursday (did they even phone, did they fuck, though I suppose the bears might have eaten them).

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
* Mr Larrington looks out of window, is relieved to see E17 rather than the majestic Serengeti, the Hanging Gardens of Babylon or Uluru.

On the matter of things falling over in Wind Events, back in the 1987 brouhaha a cow-orker had an internal wall collapse in his house, with hilarious expensive consequences.
I think East 17 would be the least welcome presence in the garden.

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

This is mental. Live feed from LHR of planes attempted landings

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPQh1Frb­Oc0

This is mental. Live feed from LHR of planes attempted landings

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPQh1Frb­Oc0

No longer available it say.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
My son is scheduled to fly from Heathrow to Finland later today.