Author Topic: A random thread for weatherish things that don't warrant a thread of their own.  (Read 285591 times)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Desk fan on today but only coz I'd just ridden the Perfectly Good Gentleman’s Mountain Bicycle back from the doctor's and it's uphill.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

I'm in the house with all of the blinds shut.
The fan has been turned up to 11 and is blowing warm air over me.
The outdoor temperature sensor, mounted in the shade on the north-facing side of my shed is giving a reading of 31°C.
Scorchio!
I think tonight the 11Tog quilt may be swapped for a 3Tog one.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
My Dear Wife visited the sea front today.

What can possibly have attracted her there on such a day?

It's World Knitting Day and she was there with other (woolly) like-minded people.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

I'm in the house with all of the blinds shut.
The fan has been turned up to 11 and is blowing warm air over me.

As my fan hasn't been used for a while I'm currently de-fluffing it & dusting the cabinet it sits on.   Not making that mistake again  !

Edit:  I didn't go this far but full marks to Meaco for providing the video.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-QK-px8c5g
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
All week we've been getting warnings of yellow thunder storms and massive rain fall, beginning yesterday night.
So far we have had 30 minutes of spitting and no sign of any more to come.

"How yellow/brown was my valley?"
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

We've just had some thunder & 10 minutes of heavy rain in Scouseland.

Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

My Dear Wife visited the sea front today.

What can possibly have attracted her there on such a day?

It's World Knitting Day and she was there with other (woolly) like-minded people.

My wife visited Rotherham for the same reason. I never realised it was World Knitting Day but perhaps it would be a better place if there were more knitters.
Move Faster and Bake Things

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
The world in general or Rotherham in particular? Rotherham is where Planet X are based; did she go to knit a bicycle?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Basil

• Help me!
All week we've been getting warnings of yellow thunder storms and massive rain fall, beginning yesterday night.
So far we have had 30 minutes of spitting and no sign of any more to come.

"How yellow/brown was my valley?"

And now we have a warning of yellow rain from this evening until tomorrow morning.
Well. I'll believe that when I see it.  Bet nothing happens at all. Again.

We didn’t get the suggested thunderstorms yesterday, and never looked likely too. We’re currently at 70% probability around teatime but right now that too seems unlikely, though it is (well feels, it’s actually only 49% vs 55% yesterday) more humid.   Tomorrow we max out at 50% probability throughout the day.

ETA: We’ll we did get some rain and a distant rumble of thunder, preceded by a squally wind. It’s now raining steadily but the forecast is for it to last less than an hour. The good thing is as it was a bit cloudy around 3 I got stuck in and planted out the peppers and first 2 tranches of French beans.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

After making a quarter-arsed effort this morning that didn't even qualify for "bracing dampness in the air", it's now raining properly on the south coast.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Heavy rain for 30mins then lighter rain for another hour. I heard quite a bit of thunder but not a lot of lightning  :)
the slower you go the more you see

South Warwickshire threatened a biblical storm, but it had mostly fizzled out by the time it reached me. It's dark enough to have lights on, mind.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

About 15 minutes ago the temperature dropped and we now have rolling thunder and lightning but still no rain.

Dark clouds to the south and east. White clouds and blue sky towards north and west.

Basil

• Help me!
Looking at the radar, it looks like we will finally get something late tonight.  Dog we need it! We've had no proper rain since mid April.
Unless it fizzles out as it crosses the border.

We still have thunder and lightning but rain lasted less than 5 minutes and the patio is already dry.

Having to water plants lest they die is very tedious. Suggestions for garden plants that don’t need water and are not plastic, please. Must have flowers.
Move Faster and Bake Things

Having to water plants lest they die is very tedious. Suggestions for garden plants that don’t need water and are not plastic, please. Must have flowers.

Cacti? More seriously, check here https://www.rhs.org.uk/plants/for-places/drought-resistant.

You can also try getting (assuming the plants in question are in a border) ground cover plants that help retain the moisture in the soil.

Yesterday afternoon on the M4 from the J1 to J10 was the worst conditions I have ever driven in. Visibility was poor due to spray but the noise of the rain on the car was distracting and the wipers could barely keep up with the combination of rain and spray. Speeds were severely constrained and dropping to circa 40mph or lower on what was otherwise a flowing motorway.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
French lavender?

https://www.rhs.org.uk/plants/for-places/drought-resistant
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Yesterday afternoon on the M4 from the J1 to J10 was the worst conditions I have ever driven in. Visibility was poor due to spray but the noise of the rain on the car was distracting and the wipers could barely keep up with the combination of rain and spray. Speeds were severely constrained and dropping to circa 40mph or lower on what was otherwise a flowing motorway.

Rain in W. Londonton  :o

None on this side of the Great Wen since, er, ages ago.

Edit@ 13:45: Rain.  Thunder.  w00t :thumbsup:
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
I hear distant thunder. No rain here yet and the clouds are merely grey.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

The last 20 minutes I’ve been hearing thunder getting closer, here in the lee of the Chilterns. Rain I think is inevitable - my wife has just done a wash….

Aaand we haz gale force squally winds, lightning, thunder and plenty of rain. And the warning has only just gone amber - too late chaps!

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
It is simpler than it looks.