Author Topic: Putting a pet to sleep  (Read 4714 times)

Putting a pet to sleep
« on: 23 November, 2013, 05:52:15 pm »
We have a 16 year old cat. He is the best cat of all cats.

He has been ill for a while, has a tumour in his belly, been on medication to keep fluid out his belly and stop him having fits for maybe 18 months at a guess.

Last week his breathing was really not right, vet said it would be a legitimate time to end things but we could try an injection and upping his fluid tablets. He is eating a bit again but wobbles rather than walks, he's all over the place, belly looks quite swollen, still looks like he is struggling to breathe a bit and isn't really doing much.

How do you know it's definitely time? I think it's time but its so hard to know for sure. My eldest daughter is totally distraught at the idea (we have all discussed Monday)

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
Re: Putting a pet to sleep
« Reply #1 on: 23 November, 2013, 06:08:26 pm »
Horrible situation.

I think we just knew with Sir Scoville.

There was just a point where we could see he was suffering. He had been to the emergency vets the night before, and we knew he wouldn't get better. We woke up, took one look at him and simultaneously said he needed to go to the vets.

I know that is no help at all - "we just knew". But that was how it is.

When their quality of life isn't high and has little chance of improving, then sadly, it is the right time.

Horrible.

I hope you can all look after each other and come to the same decision.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #2 on: 23 November, 2013, 06:20:15 pm »
It is when it is right for him, rather than you. Easier to say than do, but we've been guilty of delaying the journey to the vets a bit too long.

The other thing is that pets deteriorate far quicker than we do - a day can make a big difference.

Best wishes, it is such a sad thing to have to do, but ultimately right for him.
It is simpler than it looks.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #3 on: 23 November, 2013, 06:26:38 pm »
I feel for your and your family and as marcusjb said a horrible situation to be in, all the best to you all.

Now this is truly honest and please do not take any offence. I have had to put three of my dogs down for various reasons, so I have be come somewhat harden.

If the vet things there is nothing to do to better your cats life, I think it is time to put him to sleep. Is it really worth it having him and you suffer any longer. It is better to remember you cat in better days than remember him while he was suffering/sick.

Big hugs and remember the good days.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #4 on: 23 November, 2013, 06:37:55 pm »
He doesn't seem in pain but he isn't purring any more and I just don't think he is all that comfortable. I don't think he will improve either, so I think we will take him Monday.

The should we/shouldn't we isn't great for the kids either, eldest (14) is hysterical at times, younger is dealing with it better, although I think my fiancé is actually more of a mess than them and just prolonging it won't help anyone. Harry really is the best cat in the history of cats though. There are other reasons why I think this is hitting them hard and it's just time for him to go :(

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #5 on: 23 November, 2013, 06:54:53 pm »
Cats are supposed to be very good at hiding pain too. Sorry he's so poorly :(
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #6 on: 23 November, 2013, 07:58:20 pm »
Poor Harry :-[.
DJR (Dave Russell) now retired. Carbon Beone parts bin special retired to turbo trainer, Brompton broken, as was I, Whyte Suffolk dismantled and sold. Now have Mason Definition and Orbea M20i.

« Reply #7 on: 24 November, 2013, 01:53:00 pm »
He doesn't seem in pain but he isn't purring any more and I just don't think he is all that comfortable. I don't think he will improve either, so I think we will take him Monday.

I think that's what I'd do too. If it gets worse you can always go sooner. If the vet doesn't think its reasonable on Monday they'll say. Its never nice and I feel for you.

« Reply #8 on: 25 November, 2013, 11:15:43 am »
His breathing isn't any better. He is eating a bit now and moving around a little, although he tends to fall over, but mainly sleeping. But he just looks like he is gasping for breath a bit. So me and OH are going with Harry at 6pm tonight :( Kids are ready now, OH is totally not. I know how much he loves Haz, but he is totally in pieces over it.

It's the kind thing to do though.

« Reply #9 on: 25 November, 2013, 11:23:32 am »
It is the right thing, too, much sympathy. Also remember that these sort of events can trigger all sorts of links in our minds that we don't even admit are there. I know that it was only when I lost a dog that I finally ended up grieving the loss of my mother some years before. It was a very intense time.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #10 on: 25 November, 2013, 12:57:56 pm »
Poor chap.

Very sad.

Much sympathy to you and your clan Lady C.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #11 on: 25 November, 2013, 02:45:15 pm »
Poor Harry.  I hope tonight is as unhideous as possible and that you all get space to grieve as you need and don't feel it's wrong to do so.

« Reply #12 on: 25 November, 2013, 06:50:34 pm »
RIP Harry  :'(  :'(

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #13 on: 25 November, 2013, 06:51:21 pm »
Hugs ...
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

shyumu

• Paying my TV license by cheque since 1993
    • Balancing on Two Wheels
« Reply #14 on: 25 November, 2013, 06:56:06 pm »
Time is all that will separate you. Love will continue. He will be remembered. Hope the kids are okay. Thinking of you.
a journal of bicycle rides I have enjoyed:

http://balancingontwowheels.blogspot.co.uk/

« Reply #15 on: 25 November, 2013, 07:32:11 pm »
Best wishes, LC.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #16 on: 25 November, 2013, 07:56:43 pm »
You did the right thing for him. Tea and hugs to you all.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #17 on: 25 November, 2013, 08:03:15 pm »
It's a sad time and it hurts, but the good memories take over and remain. Take care.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #18 on: 25 November, 2013, 08:08:07 pm »
Condolences to you all at this difficult time.
DJR (Dave Russell) now retired. Carbon Beone parts bin special retired to turbo trainer, Brompton broken, as was I, Whyte Suffolk dismantled and sold. Now have Mason Definition and Orbea M20i.

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
« Reply #19 on: 25 November, 2013, 10:58:28 pm »
Having recently performed the same task on my 16-year-old cat, you have my sympathies. 
L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #20 on: 26 November, 2013, 12:58:03 am »
Hugs, LC. 
Sad times.
We are facing this soon ourselves.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #21 on: 26 November, 2013, 10:48:07 am »
Ahhhh thanks.

And to anyone else who has to go through it, I can't recommend Dignity Pet Crematorium enough.... individual cremation and a nice little urn with his name on a silver plaque plus they keep a bit of his fur and do a little pawprint on a framed card. Lovely people who really make your pet feel like family :)

« Reply #22 on: 26 November, 2013, 11:31:13 am »
Very sorry for your loss, Lady C. :'(

gibbo

• Riding for fun, cake and beer.
    • Boxford Bike Club
« Reply #23 on: 26 November, 2013, 01:28:39 pm »
We went through this recently with our beloved Bella, she was 16 and we had to make the extremely hard decision to have her put down. Reading through this post has me welling up a bit and I know how hard it is so my thoughts are with you.

« Reply #24 on: 24 December, 2013, 01:16:01 pm »
As a follow up to this, the happy news is that this afternoon I am picking up my fiance's xmas present (his of course, nothing to do with me and the girls wanting one ;) )

A little 12 week old ginger Kitten. We will be welcoming George into our house today :) :) :) :)