Author Topic: First-World Problems.  (Read 333617 times)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Re: First-World Problems.
« Reply #2200 on: 19 March, 2020, 09:26:51 pm »
I was going to make risotto last night but there was not enough Carnaroli in the packet and it wasn't even a searchable item at Sainsbo's last week.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

ian

« Reply #2201 on: 20 March, 2020, 09:31:17 am »
As mentioned elsewhere, I found a bag of dessert rice that hadn't grabbed the marauders' attention. Worked fine in a risotto. I'm pretty sure most of the people who ran home with bags of arborio and carnaroli and bomba won't have the faintest clue.

That said, I bake risotto. It's the true way.

« Reply #2202 on: 20 March, 2020, 08:51:51 pm »
I've just made one of the best seafood paellas ever, in a (large) portion for one ( 'cos Mrs Poacher's away), using Lidl's Arroz de grano corto, purchased several months ago, when it was actually available and at a very reasonable price. Yes, dear reader, I confess, I bought four kilos; does that make me a bad person?
Actually, don't bother answering that, I always was. Mwaahaahaa!  :demon:
Bugger, I'm now running short.

« Reply #2203 on: 22 March, 2020, 11:00:57 am »
We’re Dow to our last half pound of Yorkshire Gold loose leaf tea. It appears to be unavailable anywhere, unless at a usurious price  :-X
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #2204 on: 22 March, 2020, 06:35:25 pm »
I was unlucky enough to win a couple of bottles of mulled wine in raffles over Christmas. I intended to keep them for 12 months and then donate them as raffle prizes.

They really are Teh Mank but I've not got any good red in the house. At least it means I only have one glass at a time.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #2205 on: 22 March, 2020, 09:15:06 pm »
No problems getting a slot last week but now no online slots to be had at Aberdeen Sainsbos. I'm We're going to have to do a proper shop in the flesh.

« Reply #2206 on: 23 March, 2020, 02:11:36 pm »
I don't want to lower this thread from the light hearted distraction is but have had two reports today of reasonably stocked quiet shops.

Giraffe

• I brake for Giraffes
« Reply #2207 on: 23 March, 2020, 03:36:12 pm »
On Friday I had to settle for whole loaves (giraffe bread!) and slice it before it went into the freezer; today, got some sliced bread and the ties are stuck all the way along so I'll have to cut them. Country's going to the  dogs viruseseses!
2x4: thick plank; 4x4: 2 of 'em.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #2208 on: 23 March, 2020, 04:48:17 pm »
I was supposed to be going to the hairdresser on Weds. Now I'm not. At the moment half my hair is red and the other half (i.e. the roots.) is not. The length (I prefer short short hair, none of this jaw length is short nonsense) and density is going to be driving me up the wall pretty soon. Oh the huge manatee.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2209 on: 23 March, 2020, 04:56:00 pm »
This is where hair that's long enough to be Not Annoying is an advantage.  At least until the shampoo runs out.

ian

« Reply #2210 on: 23 March, 2020, 05:04:53 pm »
My wife appears to be on a WhatsApp group solely dedicated to women fretting about their hair, the colouring and length thereof. Bing. Bing. Bing. My wife had a complicated bob-type thing that is forever within a haircut of dramatic collapse.

Come to think of it, she has a friend who looks like a recently electrocuted poodle already, so I'm not sure I want to experience that after a month or two of not going to the hairdressers.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #2211 on: 23 March, 2020, 05:27:47 pm »
This is where hair that's long enough to be Not Annoying is an advantage. 

For me, no such thing. It's been like this since I was about...9. (I had to look up when Like A Virgin came out to decide that  :facepalm: ).

I did think maybe this would be the time to embrace my grey, by going silver, but apparently you need to bleach your hair, so stuff that. I am considering buying thinning scissors though...

« Reply #2212 on: 23 March, 2020, 05:30:17 pm »
I'm considering a buzz cut with the clippers.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2213 on: 23 March, 2020, 05:32:00 pm »
This is where hair that's long enough to be Not Annoying is an advantage. 

For me, no such thing. It's been like this since I was about...9. (I had to look up when Like A Virgin came out to decide that)

And of course to get from Properly Short to Long Enough To Be Not Annoying you've got to get through all the stages of Annoying And High Maintenance And Just Get Out Of My Mouth Already...   :-\

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #2214 on: 23 March, 2020, 05:32:49 pm »

That too but I think I would regret that (not because I'm that vain, but because it would likely bring me out in a rash).

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2215 on: 23 March, 2020, 05:38:37 pm »
To infinity – and beyond!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #2216 on: 23 March, 2020, 05:42:18 pm »

« Reply #2217 on: 23 March, 2020, 05:47:31 pm »
Yes, plenty of people seem to be getting concerned about getting their hair cut or dyed or whatever. Having never set foot in a hairdresser's in my life (I have scissors, I sometimes cut the dead ends!), I don't really get it. ???

« Reply #2218 on: 23 March, 2020, 05:52:07 pm »
Argh, now they're talking about it on Radio 4!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2219 on: 23 March, 2020, 05:55:05 pm »
Having never set foot in a hairdresser's in my life (I have scissors, I sometimes cut the dead ends!), I don't really get it. ???

Well done!  I've been avoiding them - with varying degrees of success - since a scissors vs ear incident when I was a child.

ian

« Reply #2220 on: 23 March, 2020, 05:58:10 pm »
Yes, plenty of people seem to be getting concerned about getting their hair cut or dyed or whatever. Having never set foot in a hairdresser's in my life (I have scissors, I sometimes cut the dead ends!), I don't really get it. ???

Well, your hair is an important part of how you look, so yes, I do see the import.

I shave my head for maximum tidiness and that escaped-serial-killer-from-a-mental-institution look, of course.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #2221 on: 23 March, 2020, 06:03:16 pm »
I got my hair cut just over a week ago. That should see me through the crisis.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2222 on: 23 March, 2020, 06:06:27 pm »
I guess after another month or two I could get a pair of clippers through the post or something. Or maybe I'll just go for the wild unkempt cave man look. Waddaya mean it'll match the rest of me?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #2223 on: 23 March, 2020, 06:07:07 pm »
I last had a hair cut about 20 years ago. I reckon I'll cope with a bit of quarantine.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #2224 on: 23 March, 2020, 07:05:23 pm »
I've told Mrs B not to worry.  We have clippers for the dog that I'm sure I could utilise for Mrs B fettling.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.