Author Topic: Is the Byercycles audax another frame in disguise?  (Read 8357 times)

Is the Byercycles audax another frame in disguise?
« on: 03 November, 2011, 09:15:31 am »
http://www.byercycles.co.uk/Bikes%200611/002%20Aravis%20audax%20frames%20.html

This frame seems to fit the bill for me geometry-wise in an xl.

Does anyone have one or care to comment whether it is a rebadged version of another frame?

Reason I ask is I can find no user reviews for it.

Re: Is the Byercycles audax another frame in disguise?
« Reply #2 on: 03 November, 2011, 09:41:34 am »
I think Greenbank might have had one. It goes without saying that it is likely that these frames will be sold by other shops who have minor brands. (might be same as Hewitt).

Maybe ask Byer cycles?

Rapples

« Reply #3 on: 03 November, 2011, 09:49:06 am »
It is I believe, but unfortunately I'm not a 100% sure, but I think it is the Hewitt

They are my local bike shop, very friendly excellent service, and usually fairly competetive.

I would recommend them :thumbsup:

And I too recall Greenbank had one, hopefully he'll be along in a minute.

Rapples

« Reply #4 on: 03 November, 2011, 11:00:49 am »
This seems to confirm Hewitts are rebadged Aravis frames and may be of interest
http://www.hewittbikefitting.co.uk/uploads/reviews/bikes/C_2006-03_Aravis-SL.pdf

border-rider

« Reply #5 on: 03 November, 2011, 11:09:43 am »
Good thread, but you might get a wider response if you move it to the Knowledge board.

The Mechanic

« Reply #6 on: 03 November, 2011, 01:41:45 pm »
That Hewitt Aravis is an alloy frame so not the same.  However, I understand it is the Hewitt Cheviot and also some other LBS sells it under another name that I can't remember.  I have an Aravis audax frame from Byercycles.  It is the horizontal top tube version I got for Christmas about 3 or 4 years ago.  I am very pleased with it and am pleasantly reminded how comfortable it is to ride every time I take my race bike out for a spin. :thumbsup:

Rapples

« Reply #7 on: 03 November, 2011, 05:17:02 pm »
I didn't read the article, but thought from the picture it probably wasn't the same model as it had carbon forks, and didn't look right.  It seemed to confirm the connection though.

Now you mention the Cheviot it rings a very large bell, and I'd put money on you being right :thumbsup:

« Reply #8 on: 03 November, 2011, 05:28:37 pm »
Hewitt, Pearson, Byercycles and a few other people sell aravis frames. They get them from Autostrada - Byercycles will happily tell you this, but the others may not. I believe someone on here got a respray done by Hewitt and when it chipped it was one of the standard colours underneaths. It's discussed widely, and Byercycles are usually the cheapest source. Google some combo of byercycles pearson hewitt, henry burton or charlie the bikemonger. Dick Byers builds good wheels, and their aftersales when I had a rack eyelet fall off was tremendous - he offered a new frame before I'd finished the sentence. The only complaint I could make is that he was disinterested in whether the bike fit me, and as a noob at the time, I didn't notice that it was too small, particularly with the much too short stem it was supplied with. I now realise, I like longer top tubes than some people the same height as me, so maybe it would have been fine for some people my height; just not me.

Info re. frames

See comments - http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/bikes/touring/product/review-pearson-compass-touring-bike-09-33981/

edit - ps I have the supertourist, not the audax.

« Reply #9 on: 03 November, 2011, 06:03:13 pm »
Thanks for all the info.

The only thing which is slightly mystifying is that the quoted geometries (for the 23" frame) on the Hewitt Cheviot, The Pearson Compass and the Byercycles Aravis are all slightly different.

http://www.hewittbikefitting.co.uk/misc/cheviot-geometry/

http://www.pearsoncycles.co.uk/store/product/24765/Pearson-Compass-Frame-Red-21%22/

http://www.byercycles.co.uk/Bikes%200611/002%20Aravis%20audax%20frames%20.html

Presume they must be quoting their own measurements rather than those of the importer/manufacturer?

oh, and the Cheviot and the Compass both take cantilever brakes. whereas the Aravis does not.
 ???

« Reply #10 on: 03 November, 2011, 06:03:39 pm »
Found out a little more. They are built in Taiwan. The guy who imports them worked for Reynolds in the 1970's

« Reply #11 on: 03 November, 2011, 06:30:23 pm »
Taken from a thread in That Yonder CTC Forum, information as of 1 June 2011

Autostrada Eng
Forge Farm
Forge Lane
Footherley Staffs WS15 0HU
Contact Mike
Tel - 01543 483155, Fax - 01543 483224
Apparently this company do an awful lot of restorations and Mike seemed a really friendly bloke to talk to and very competitive.

http://forum.ctc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=44673 Page 2 of 3

Why not call direct and see what prices you can get if buying a frame direct from the importer?

Frere

Chris N

« Reply #12 on: 03 November, 2011, 07:16:28 pm »
oh, and the Cheviot and the Compass both take cantilever brakes. whereas the Aravis does not.
 ???

That's because the Byercycles Aravis Audax isn't the same as the Pearson Compass or the Hewitt Cheviot. It's the same as the Hewitt Chiltern.

« Reply #13 on: 03 November, 2011, 07:48:00 pm »
Oh ok. Will take your word for it, 'cept i can't find any geomtery for the Chiltern anywhere. Hewitts only show measurements for the Cheviot on their website. Or is it for the Chiltern?

Bit confusing I'd say:

http://www.hewittbikefitting.co.uk/misc/chiltern-geometry/

The Mechanic

« Reply #14 on: 05 November, 2011, 09:19:39 am »
Byercycles do an audax version and a touring version of the Aravis. They are the same frame but with different brake fittings and braze ons.

« Reply #15 on: 05 November, 2011, 08:38:36 pm »
Different fork and rear spacing too (130 vs 135), isn't it? The Audax weighs 3kg inc forks, whereas the super touring is 3.25kg. Could that be used the difference in fittings?

Peter HY

« Reply #16 on: 14 December, 2011, 03:46:34 pm »
I'm new today to this forum ...so hi everone.
Re the Hewitt...Pearson & Byercycles steel frames...
Just some added info.  The main triangle of the frames are a standard geometry ( size for size that is) but the difference between the Cheviot ( touring version  ) and the Chiltern ( audax) is that the chain stays are different in length ...The Cheviot has longer chain stays at 457mm Ct to Ct and therfore a longer wheelbase than the Chiltern so should be a more relaxing ride.
 The Cheviot has fittings for cantilever or V brakes whereas the Chiltern has holes to fix standard long reach (47/59)caliper brakes.  The the geometry for both models are indeed on the Hewitt web site and  although not an easy site to use I have to say the chain stay and head tube lengths have some errors so don't rely on them.
All these points need to be considered when buying from any of the shops suppling these standard steel frames.
I think I am going to buy one but I wish there were more colours to choose from at the same price ...Why oh why are so many bikes and bike clothing blue or red LOL...Hope this helps

The Mechanic

« Reply #17 on: 15 December, 2011, 10:09:27 am »
A lot of people on here will tell you that red bikes are faster.  However, I believe that blue ones are faster.  Needless to say, I have a blue Arivis. 

BTW, Holburn Cycles in Aberdeen also do these frames.

Andrew

« Reply #18 on: 15 December, 2011, 12:20:21 pm »
A lot of people on here will tell you that red bikes are faster.  However, I believe that blue ones are faster.  Needless to say, I have a blue Arivis.

As do I. And, suffice to say, I have NEVER been overtaken by a red one. Case proven methinks ;)