Author Topic: Coronavirus and Audax  (Read 89153 times)

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
Re: Coronavirus and Audax
« Reply #50 on: 13 March, 2020, 10:53:51 am »

I feel sorry for many who are significantly through their RRtY attempt.

I've got 9/12 of the AUK RRtY. Am supposed to be doing 10/12 on Monday...

J
No reason why they can't do a 200km DIY comprising a figure of 8 with two 100km loops from their house.  No need to stop anywhere

Eddington  127miles, 170km

« Reply #51 on: 13 March, 2020, 11:26:12 am »
I cant help thinking that this is a problem that is only going to get worse over the coming weeks/months resulting in further restrictions as and when deemed necessary, therefore putting any planned events for the future in jeopardy.

« Reply #52 on: 13 March, 2020, 11:26:56 am »
Of course it is.

It's just a little more important than somebody fixated on an RRTY.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #53 on: 13 March, 2020, 11:50:54 am »
DIY 200km by GPS, food taken with you. Water could be a problem in hot weather.

Don't touch anything when out there.
It is simpler than it looks.

Phil W

« Reply #54 on: 13 March, 2020, 12:13:37 pm »

Food shops unlikely to be shut and you are no more risk than any other customer. After topping up water use the spare water and some soap to wash you hands and the bottles.  Or use one hand for your bottles and one for the bottle from the shop and interactions. Then wash both hands before putting both bottles on your bike.

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #55 on: 13 March, 2020, 01:18:22 pm »
I am registered for the Dirty Reiver too - if it's cancelled I'm getting the train up anyway and going riding. Got my tent pitch booked and everything.

If I get poorly then that's my hard luck.
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #56 on: 13 March, 2020, 01:50:31 pm »
I cant help thinking that this is a problem that is only going to get worse over the coming weeks/months resulting in further restrictions as and when deemed necessary, therefore putting any planned events for the future in jeopardy.

Yes, and the "as and when deemed necessary" is the critical part of what you say.

« Reply #57 on: 13 March, 2020, 02:03:59 pm »
I have a very strong feeling that two weeks from now things will be very different.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #58 on: 13 March, 2020, 02:47:06 pm »
I have a very strong feeling that two weeks from now things will be very different.
Yes.

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

« Reply #59 on: 13 March, 2020, 02:58:23 pm »
Some thought's.
Currently advice seems to be carry on but be careful,  can understand people worrying about large events etc,
But audax events with smaller fields shouldn't be a problem,  the field soon spreads out and remember cafes and pubs are all currently open for business and that means they want CUSTOMERS! !

If and when things change,  we will be guided by our leaders ,i.e. the board.
Currently every organizer is free to carry on. Running events and this is the IMPORTANT bit, every ride is free to choose to ride or not ride, individuals need to make there own mind up if they feel happy riding or not.

Now diy/ permanents,  on say a 200km with 3 stops ,how many other people will you really come in to contact with?not many and certainly far less then in a normal working day, well for me anyway.

« Reply #60 on: 13 March, 2020, 03:01:59 pm »
The point might be that you will be coming into contact with different people to those you normally meet.

And you might be the carrier.

« Reply #61 on: 13 March, 2020, 03:03:01 pm »
Kennet valley events from reading on the 22nd of march have just been cancelled, tough call for the organizer.

« Reply #62 on: 13 March, 2020, 03:04:25 pm »
I meet different people evey day, thats how my job works!

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #63 on: 13 March, 2020, 03:28:58 pm »

Was my thought too. It's how I did most of my DIYs on Lewis as shopsa d cafes etc not reliable.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #64 on: 13 March, 2020, 04:03:45 pm »
i've noticed lower traffic levels, quieter streets. if cycling self sufficiently there's no difference to being self-isolated at home. i've not been riding much this year so far, but still planning to ride sr series, even if it means doing it dyi solo.

fingers x-ed this situation is over by summer.

« Reply #65 on: 13 March, 2020, 07:41:12 pm »

I feel sorry for many who are significantly through their RRtY attempt.

I've got 9/12 of the AUK RRtY. Am supposed to be doing 10/12 on Monday...

J
No reason why they can't do a 200km DIY comprising a figure of 8 with two 100km loops from their house.  No need to stop anywhere
That’s what I’ve been doing since PBP, going out around 3am and doing around 120km, home for brekky, then out again for 80km. Doing Audax on the cheap (not working). Hoping to do some calendar events later on for an SR.
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

« Reply #66 on: 13 March, 2020, 08:21:29 pm »
Sensible words from Kingston Wheelers re Sunday's Gently Bentley.

"Currently we are still planning to run the event. We are though keeping a close eye on what is happening and what the government are recommending.

We would like to ask any riders if they are feeling unwell not to ride.

We will operate a staggered start in order to reduce crowding – riders can start at any time from 07:30 to 08:30.  The overall time limit will apply to your personal start time, so minimum speed is unaffected.

Please read the attached file from the Racket Club with details of what they have put in place to help limit the spread of the virus at the start and finish.

Further information can be found on the governments site. - https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/

And the WHO site - Advice for public"

slohill

• still at it
« Reply #67 on: 13 March, 2020, 08:32:40 pm »
Not strictly audax---but it was noticed that roads in W. Cheshire were much quieter today leading to a much more pleasant cycling experience.
Also using knowledge of cafes in area to select those we can sit outside at---hopefully minimising contamination risk.
Being in high risk age group, I am trying to get out for a sensible, easy paced ride most days to maintain a semblance of fitness without knackering immune system.
This should ease the return to proper audax style riding when disease phase allows this.
Organiser of  Tour of the Berwyns 200k and Panorama Prospect 130k; Saturday May 20 2023

« Reply #68 on: 13 March, 2020, 08:51:32 pm »

"Currently we are still planning to run the event. We are though keeping a close eye on what is happening and what the government are recommending.

That's more like it.   Good for them resisting the herd panic mentality.

« Reply #69 on: 13 March, 2020, 09:06:52 pm »
Advice now on the Audax.uk home page.  Communication to organisers going out, and advice to members in the next day or so.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #70 on: 13 March, 2020, 09:26:54 pm »
The point might be that you will be coming into contact with different people to those you normally meet.

And you might be the carrier.

Maybe bicycle bells will be the new leper's bell

« Reply #71 on: 13 March, 2020, 09:44:59 pm »

Yeah, they really panicked unnecessarily  in Wuhan, didnt they.  ::-)

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #72 on: 13 March, 2020, 11:06:00 pm »

Yeah, Assuming I don't come down with something in the next 72 hours, I'm going to do a 200k on Monday, that gets me roughly 5 weeks until I run out of time for April's.

I've just done 12 hours on trains to get back from Copenhagen. I timed it well, just as I was leaving Germany I got the news that Denmark is closing it's border effective 1200 tomorrow.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #73 on: 13 March, 2020, 11:17:11 pm »

simplex by name. simple by nature.

It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #74 on: 14 March, 2020, 06:59:02 am »

I've just done 12 hours on trains to get back from Copenhagen. I timed it well, just as I was leaving Germany I got the news that Denmark is closing it's border effective 1200 tomorrow.

The Danes are still letting foreigners out and Danes in.

Anyhow, my planned audax was cancelled. So, I'm going to attempt a DIY300 today with no less than two border crossings. I did take precautions and plan to be self-sufficient with max. 1 stop to replenish water and carrying a small bottle of soap.