Author Topic: The S24O  (Read 25018 times)

Re: The S24O
« Reply #50 on: 09 April, 2008, 08:26:54 pm »
Yeah but you didn't give it a name or a philosophy - Teethgrinder Weekend Epiphanies, maybe?

Why do I need any philosophy or a name for it? It's just riding my bike for the fun of it, not knowing exactly where I will go or end up. That's how I started cycling and what really got me into it. Seeing new places and not knowing what to expect.
I did it when I went to France for 3 weeks in 2005. I ended up crossing the Italian border.
I am thinking of having a fortnight in Ireland doing this over Christmas this year.
Company would be very welcome. I intend to sleep in a bed though. Or at the very least, my tent.

donpedro

• ain`t haulin` any lambs to the marketplace anymore
    • But, I'm Swedish!
"A society is defined not only by what it creates, but by what it refuses to destroy."

Chris N

« Reply #52 on: 17 April, 2008, 11:21:10 am »
Interesting article on getting started with wild camping: http://homepage.mac.com/simon.willis/site/newspapers/wildcamp.htm

donpedro

• But, I'm Swedish!
« Reply #53 on: 17 April, 2008, 07:23:09 pm »
Chris, Lots of good reading there!
Have any of you signed the petition for leagalising wildcamping in England and Wales?
http://www.legalisewildcamping.com/

My solo UL-gearlist is less than 6kg, and would work for month long summer rides to. It's really about what comfort-zone one is prepared to accept and planning the route accordingly! This printable gear weight calculator is great for getting a grip on what to bring:
http://backpacking.net/featured3.html

Remember this report from a couple touring France for 3 month on SS Pompino's carrying enough to fit in seat and handlebar bags!:
http://pompinos.blogspot.com/index.html#114959954098664545
Sun is out so I might do this classic 350 km ride around lake Mälaren this weekend.
Here's a report some friends wrote in Swedish but with lots of pict:
http://www.herou.com/erik/blogg/?p=242

"A society is defined not only by what it creates, but by what it refuses to destroy."

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #54 on: 17 April, 2008, 09:49:02 pm »
Peter... Have you got a link to the actual petition?
I want to sign it but know not how to find the thing.
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

donpedro

• But, I'm Swedish!
« Reply #55 on: 18 April, 2008, 09:41:43 am »
It's 10 Downing Street! ;)

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/wildcamp/

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #56 on: 18 April, 2008, 05:24:14 pm »
I think that people need to be told that it's possible to do this kind of thing.

Or 'reminded'.

I think it's always been possible. Some people just forgot. I certainly did.

What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

« Reply #57 on: 18 April, 2008, 07:55:23 pm »
Some people just forgot. I certainly did.

[resists urge to pull on elbow-patched jacket, light pipe, and start writing interminable dissertation on comparative land-access rights and the history of general wandering about, which would be much more interesting than what I actually need to write right now.]
scottclark.photoshelter.com

donpedro

• But, I'm Swedish!
« Reply #58 on: 25 April, 2008, 01:33:14 pm »

« Reply #59 on: 17 May, 2008, 11:59:08 am »
I've decided to give this a go.   I've only previously bivvy'd or lightweight camped when walking.  The logistics of what to carry and how / what bike are taxing my cells at the moment. <edit>  We cycle camp quite a lot when touring but I wouldn't call it lightweight! </edit>

I've picked a spot about 1 hour from home for a practise run.  I intend to ride there late-ish one Friday evening, hunker down, wake with the dawn chorus and pootle back home.  If it all goes wrong I can easily pack and be home quickly, and without losing my sense of humour.

My steed options are the tourer with enough luggage-carrying capacity for an extended cycle-camping tour, the audax machine which is set up for a bar bag and something dangling from the saddle loops, or maybe the mountain bike and a rucksack.

I haven't yet figured out what I'm going to take with me either

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #60 on: 03 June, 2008, 11:07:31 am »

Anyway, reading round the subject I think I really like the idea.  Get on your bike onna Friday afternoon (I can often knock off at midday) and ride as far as you can.  Fifty miles, seventy miles, whatever you can manage.  Go somewhere different.  When it gets dark, find somewhere remote and safe and sheltered and set up a really lightweight camp.

Get up the following morning, brew up, have breakfast and ride home, maybe by a different route.

Haven't read through the thread, Aunty C, so forgive me if I'm speaking out of turn.

We have a little water meadow next to the river Stour, a couple of miles south of Sudbury (Suffolk). It's about 70 miles from The Smoke, depending on your chosen route. If you'd like to use it for camping on one of these S24O's, PM me and we can sort it.

For that matter, any of you are welcome to use it anytime!

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #61 on: 03 June, 2008, 11:19:00 am »
Ohhhhhh!  It's a bit far for the ZS24O, but maybe the next time, yes please, Tim!

By the way - I was dead chuffed that I got driven back from New York yesterday by a gurl.  Does the Bearded One have any bumpy chaps driving his kites?
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

TimC

« Reply #62 on: 03 June, 2008, 12:12:20 pm »
Absolutely, ma'am. And some of them are, well, quite cute. Not that that would affect your choice of pilot, I'm sure! ;D

Oh, and we have boats'n'everyfink ('cos the meadow's beside the river). And a pub.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #63 on: 03 June, 2008, 12:28:53 pm »
A pub, you say?

I think this calls for a discussion on dates.  I'm thinking either August or the first week or so in October when Liz and I get back from the USA.

Chaps - when's good for everyone for a trip to Tim's meadow?
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

TimC

« Reply #64 on: 03 June, 2008, 01:20:01 pm »
The meadow is here. It's the one with the geometric pattern of willows in it. The pub is under the green arrow, bottom left centre.

Any date is welcome, but if we're not here we'll need to make prior arrangements with the pub for use of loos, etc.

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #65 on: 03 June, 2008, 03:05:04 pm »
Absolutely, ma'am. And some of them are, well, quite cute. Not that that would affect your choice of pilot, I'm sure! ;D

Oh, and we have boats'n'everyfink ('cos the meadow's beside the river). And a pub.

What sort of boats out of interest?  Are they for hire?

TimC

« Reply #66 on: 03 June, 2008, 03:14:35 pm »
Just a couple of rowing boats and kayaks. We also have a powered cabin day boat, but the engine's in need of serious TLC and so it's out of the water just now. There may be a dinky kid-sized sailboat later this year. They're not for hire as they're just our family's toys, but any visitors are welcome to use what we have!

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #67 on: 03 June, 2008, 03:18:41 pm »
Oh, thanks.  I'm an ex-rower* and always jump at the chance to row on a new river - haven't done the Stour, will gladly take up your offer if I make it out on the ride.

*was rubbish.

TimC

« Reply #68 on: 03 June, 2008, 04:33:58 pm »
You'd be welcome!

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #69 on: 03 June, 2008, 08:50:05 pm »
Boats, pub, camping.  What could possibly go wrong? :D
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #70 on: 03 June, 2008, 09:18:38 pm »
Having broken my brain in Sudbury back in '96 I would really like to have a wander back down there for a few days and see the place again. Camping would make it a good one to try for September time maybe if it would be okay with you all TimC
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

« Reply #71 on: 06 June, 2008, 07:52:46 am »
i am defenaly up for this  :thumbsup:. a bit more the 70 miles for me but i can cope with 36 hours if i need to  ;D
the slower you go the more you see

TimC

« Reply #72 on: 06 June, 2008, 08:15:26 am »
Boats, pub, camping.  What could possibly go wrong? :D

Oh, the scope...! ;D

Oh - and September would be fine.

« Reply #73 on: 06 June, 2008, 08:30:06 am »
The meadow is here.

is that the start of the regatta course?  I remember there was a vicious LH bend about 10 strokes after the start, I won several races there because the oppo either oversteered or understeered and hit a bank.

It's ver' pretty if it is.

TimC

« Reply #74 on: 06 June, 2008, 09:11:13 am »
Don't think so, Mike. I suspect that was above Cornard Lock, a mile or so upstream (north). From there through and past Sudbury is a single level, and is where all the rowing takes place. From the lock (which is operative) to our place is very quiet, with just the odd  canoeist and the River Stour Trust electric trip boats to contend with. From just below us downstream to somewhere around Dedham, all the locks are derelict, so canoes and kayaks are the only traffic.

It's all ver' pretty though! :)