Author Topic: Shower Caps  (Read 2073 times)

Shower Caps
« on: 20 January, 2020, 10:48:39 am »
Today I recieved 20 shower caps from China.  Why you ask?  Not for to keep my incredible (whats, left of it) hair dry, but to keep my new Brooks saddle on my brompton dry.  Its still wearing my bum in but actually even on first use it was not really any worse than the brompton seat and its getting better now after a couple of hundred miles.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: Shower Caps
« Reply #1 on: 20 January, 2020, 12:21:09 pm »
I keep shower caps from hotel visits...

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #2 on: 21 January, 2020, 11:24:10 am »

Getting increasingly infuriated with sinks in hotel bathrooms that didn't have a plug, I used a hotel shower cap as a sort of washing up bowl to wash my shorts on the way back across Europe last year.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #3 on: 21 January, 2020, 12:01:18 pm »

Getting increasingly infuriated with sinks in hotel bathrooms that didn't have a plug, I used a hotel shower cap as a sort of washing up bowl to wash my shorts on the way back across Europe last year.

J
I'm mildly surprised you didn't carry a plug with you. Particularly if this refers to your adventures in Bulgaria and the Balkans on TCR. My surprise is due to the fact that tourists to this part of Europe have been advised to carry sink plugs with them for decades and you generally seem to be hyper-prepared, at least in terms of kit you carry with you. But I suppose it does depend on how much you were planning to stay in hotels.

As for shower caps, using them to protect saddles and to wash shorts seems far more sensible than their ostensible purpose.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #4 on: 21 January, 2020, 12:42:27 pm »
I'm mildly surprised you didn't carry a plug with you. Particularly if this refers to your adventures in Bulgaria and the Balkans on TCR. My surprise is due to the fact that tourists to this part of Europe have been advised to carry sink plugs with them for decades and you generally seem to be hyper-prepared, at least in terms of kit you carry with you. But I suppose it does depend on how much you were planning to stay in hotels.

As for shower caps, using them to protect saddles and to wash shorts seems far more sensible than their ostensible purpose.

Yeah, I kinda screwed up on that one. That said I didn't expect to use hotels as much as I did. I have since added one of these to my travel hygiene kit. https://amzn.to/2NOaLVT

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #5 on: 21 January, 2020, 12:44:24 pm »
I've also seen shower caps used to keep disc rotors and calipers from contamination during maintenance.
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #6 on: 21 January, 2020, 12:48:51 pm »

Yeah, I kinda screwed up on that one. That said I didn't expect to use hotels as much as I did. I have since added one of these to my travel hygiene kit. https://amzn.to/2NOaLVT

J
:thumbsup: I like the colour.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #7 on: 21 January, 2020, 12:56:39 pm »
Mr. R. Ballantine suggested using them as helmet rain-covers. No, not sink-plugs.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #8 on: 21 January, 2020, 03:06:53 pm »
Today I recieved 20 shower caps from China.  Why you ask?
Who sent them to you, or did you order them from China Shower Cap shop?

« Reply #9 on: 21 January, 2020, 03:37:51 pm »
Today I recieved 20 shower caps from China..
You can buy them in Boots.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #10 on: 26 January, 2020, 08:07:24 am »
Also useful to protect a digital camera when taking photographs for work of a man up a pole in Cumbria in july. The wettest audit I've ever done.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #11 on: 26 January, 2020, 10:31:12 am »
Fuzzy once gave me one of those blue shoe covers, which does the same job.  "Did you get them from a National Trust house?", I ask innocently.

"Morgue", he replies.  Fuzzy used to be a policeman.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #12 on: 26 January, 2020, 12:41:39 pm »
The blue shoe covers are often used in 'clean' clinical areas, to protect them from visitors' Germs, as well as in the Post Mortem Suite.

I think they've also been used on the LEL at controls where cleated shoes have been banned.

I believe bulk supplies are available online.

ian

« Reply #13 on: 26 January, 2020, 01:14:27 pm »
They're available at our local pool for mothers and their kids to ignore (because they're already busy ignoring the 'no mobile phone' signs) so they leave trails of dirty footprints around the changing room.

Alternatively, they're the sort of thing professional assassins tend to keep in bulk.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #14 on: 26 January, 2020, 03:30:44 pm »
also used in industrial settings to stop bringing crap into the control room, emgineers generally have much better discipline than mothers at the swimming pool
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #15 on: 26 January, 2020, 04:10:21 pm »
I've used them on the FNRttC to Harwich, when we've used the ferry from Mersea Island to Brightlingsea in the wee small hours of the morning, access to which is afforded by crossing some sandy/muddy dunes anna beach in ones titanium coloured Sidi Dragons.

Prevents the cleats from getting all claggy with sand  y'see.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #16 on: 26 January, 2020, 06:35:47 pm »
I've used them on the FNRttC to Harwich, when we've used the ferry from Mersea Island to Brightlingsea in the wee small hours of the morning, access to which is afforded by crossing some sandy/muddy dunes anna beach in ones titanium coloured Sidi Dragons.

:thumbsup:

That's a strong argument for sticking a couple in the bag in case you have to do a bit of mud-trudging to get round roadworks or similar.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #17 on: 26 January, 2020, 08:04:40 pm »
£3.79 for 100 shoe covers from Screwfix...

« Reply #18 on: 26 January, 2020, 08:17:29 pm »

:thumbsup:

That's a strong argument for sticking a couple in the bag in case you have to do a bit of mud-trudging to get round roadworks or similar.

My bold
Or acting as guide for Pippa and Andrij (otp) along Violets Lane in Furneaux Pelham whilst en route to Cambridge.