Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1609709 times)

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #13300 on: 14 June, 2021, 06:08:08 pm »
I out my compass and mountain whistle somewhere sensible a couple of months ago, so far I've bought a new whistle and compass and that sensible location still hasn't revealed itself.

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

« Reply #13301 on: 14 June, 2021, 08:42:13 pm »
Dear colleague, paying £15 to mail a ream of paper to a workmate is not a very good value way for her to get paper, is it really. Kthxbai.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #13302 on: 14 June, 2021, 10:17:57 pm »
Couldn’t they have e-mailed it?
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #13303 on: 14 June, 2021, 10:47:58 pm »
House viewing tonight, and another lesson relearned:
If it looks a bit shit in the photos it will be even worse IRL.

Ok, I knew it was going to be a bit shit, but if someone like me can spot all your bodges in a photo and then find more IRL it does make you wonder about all the ones you can't see.
Like that nice new ensuite where the bath panels don't fit under the bath properly. What exactly does the important stuff like the plumbing look like?

<Twiddles thumbs, waits for some nice houses to appear that aren't also sited on busy road of certain kitteh deth
f5 f5 f5 >
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #13304 on: 14 June, 2021, 10:49:08 pm »

Or photocopied a blank sheet..

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #13305 on: 14 June, 2021, 10:50:59 pm »

Don't be silly. Don't these people have fax machines?
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #13306 on: 15 June, 2021, 12:34:15 am »

Don't be silly. Don't these people have fax machines?

No.  The 1980s popped by and took them all away.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #13307 on: 15 June, 2021, 12:43:40 am »
I lost my electronic Dymo label maker at the beginning of last year. After being able to look in all the places it might be, Mum’s, Scotland, etc., post covid, it was decreed that I could replace it. So a Christmas present was bought for me. Three days before Christmas the original one turned up underneath a piece of furniture we move for Christmas…
It is simpler than it looks.

ian

« Reply #13308 on: 15 June, 2021, 09:28:25 am »
House viewing tonight, and another lesson relearned:
If it looks a bit shit in the photos it will be even worse IRL.

Ok, I knew it was going to be a bit shit, but if someone like me can spot all your bodges in a photo and then find more IRL it does make you wonder about all the ones you can't see.
Like that nice new ensuite where the bath panels don't fit under the bath properly. What exactly does the important stuff like the plumbing look like?

<Twiddles thumbs, waits for some nice houses to appear that aren't also sited on busy road of certain kitteh deth
f5 f5 f5 >

One of the reasons I live on the edge of London was a long run of really grim houses when we first started looking – it's the better part of a million pounds and it, erm, looks like the DIY was done by me after a few drinks.

And people that just don't bother. You're selling a house for £800k, couldn't you at least take ten minutes to yank the weeds out of your driveway, maybe turn your house into some less of a town-dump obstacle course?

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #13309 on: 15 June, 2021, 09:35:25 am »
Yeah, this lot had obviously cut all the skirtings off to lay laminate flooring (spit) and then just stuck them back on again without bothering to fill all the gaps between the skirting and the doorframe etc, etc. Pingu said he didn't like the 'open plan' boiler in the kitchen either.

ian

« Reply #13310 on: 15 June, 2021, 11:34:47 am »
The curse of dreadful DIY (about 99% of it, tbh, people of Britain put down your power tools).

The significant disjoint in London is that people treat £800k hours like they're £8k houses, so despite the eyewatering purchase price, expect weed-strewn driveways, tired decoration, peeling windows, and a general lassitude. It's not worth the effort, it's going to sell for a vast amount, so why bother. They evidently don't.

Also, stupid extensions, oversized excrescences clinging to the sides and back of houses – or balanced precariously on top – with no regard to size or style. Just because you can doesn't mean you should. People that rip out sash windows to replaced them with cheapest possible uPVC, those with bits of plastic in them that just makes them look even worse, like they're made out of some cheap Chinese Lego knockoff. I don't want to see a 2010 house that has plastic 'leaded' windows. Henry the fucking VIIIth did not live there. He would have everyone involved beheaded.

And, take a breath ian, the fucking car parks, entire gardens gone to tarmac, it must be like living in a Tesco car park. Shrubs, lawns, trees, all gone. Just a slick of tarmac or desert of grey paving so you can park eight cars. That's what you see every time you look out of your front window. A car park.

Of note in house-hunting adventures, I mentioned the smokers' sticky house elsewhere, but one splendid house we saw was literally splitting in half. Serious, had a crack that went up one wall, across the ceiling, and down the other. Not a small crack, the sort that made you feel unsafe standing in it. They'd sort of bodged with industrial quantities of polyfilla. £750k for a house that looked to be on its way to being two houses with interior open-air access.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #13311 on: 15 June, 2021, 01:40:55 pm »
If When we ever find a house that's got the front garden paved over it'll all be getting hoicked up apart from a small Roomster sized area and covered in some sort of nature.

ian

« Reply #13312 on: 15 June, 2021, 02:04:47 pm »
Front garden conversions to parking space continue apace around here – you'd think we'd put a stop to it, it just adds more cars to the mix. No nature allowed. Of course, they gush surface water onto roads and overload the storm drains (which they're not supposed to do, but who checks this work?) As a bonus, I regularly see houses that have converted every inch of frontage to car parking and there's an extra car slapped across the pavement in front, now de facto annexed as a 'driveway.' Or those with a small front garden, not big enough for a car, but who do it anyway, leaving their car across the pavement.

We saw a new build the other week, in a pretty village, the entire front garden was paved. Seriously, you could have parked a dozen cars on there, so the view out of the well-appointed front windows was literally a car park opening onto the main road. I guess it's sold as low maintenance, but honestly if you can afford that sort of house, you can afford a fucking gardener.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #13313 on: 15 June, 2021, 02:44:05 pm »
Paving gardens makes the area hotter in summer, too.  Possibly colder in winter but me physics is having a siesta. I think yes.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #13314 on: 15 June, 2021, 03:39:53 pm »
I like a paved garden, me. Stops the on road parking and bloody wildlife can stay in the wild.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #13315 on: 15 June, 2021, 03:40:33 pm »
This house had a car park when I bought it. I left it because I'm mean & lazy. It's been quite useful though we've never had a car.

Chap next door had a proper garden until he was decamped to a care home. New owners wasted no time converting this to a car park,

Phoned up the care home on Sunday as old man would have been 97 tomorrow. They told me he died in the spring.

I'm not sure I'd do up a place to sell it. My parents did this and purchasers ripped everything up or out. I've not redone anything inessential since I arrived. Of course it's all tired now. If I NEED to redo it, I'll do it for ME but I have no intention of budging yet, nor budget for refurbishments.

« Reply #13316 on: 15 June, 2021, 04:17:34 pm »
If When we ever find a house that's got the front garden paved over it'll all be getting hoicked up apart from a small Roomster sized area and covered in some sort of nature.

Get some Grasscrete or similar in.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

ian

« Reply #13317 on: 15 June, 2021, 04:40:54 pm »
Paving over gardens doesn't, alas, stop on-road parking, it just reserves a road-side space for the house owners (who will take advantage of the fact that no one else can block their access by parking yet another car there). And even if they don't, they just create more parking pressure, since there's less on-road parking for guests, visitors and existing residents – who now, of course, have an incentive to pave over their own gardens. Thusly concrete, paving, and tarmac spreads like some untreatable skin condition.

As for those excrescent patches of lurid astroturf, honestly, everyone responsible should just die. I'm happy to help. Harsh but fair.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #13318 on: 15 June, 2021, 04:48:28 pm »

Get some Grasscrete or similar in.

Why would I do that? The key word being in bold.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #13319 on: 15 June, 2021, 04:50:49 pm »
Please don't kill my brother! He has decided to Astroturf his back garden. He's a nice chap but doesn't like mowing. To be fair he has had back surgery.

My front car park is useful for tradespeople, guests, deliveries and taxis.

Having OSP for these visitors relieves drivers of time pressure so despite disliking the presence of a car park, it does get used.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #13320 on: 15 June, 2021, 04:57:29 pm »
I like a paved garden, me. Stops the on road parking and bloody wildlife can stay in the wild.

+1  The triffids are best when they're Somebody Else's Problem.  If I'm going to go outside and get allergic/injured, I'd much rather it be for a bike ride or something fun, rather than sodding gardening.  Drainage issues can - at least in principle - be solved by Doing It Properly.

« Reply #13321 on: 15 June, 2021, 05:45:49 pm »
I'm not sure I'd do up a place to sell it. My parents did this and purchasers ripped everything up or out. I've not redone anything inessential since I arrived. Of course it's all tired now. If I NEED to redo it, I'll do it for ME but I have no intention of budging yet, nor budget for refurbishments.
House next door to us. Previously owned (and nicely extended) by a plumber. Last couple of weeks before he moved out, there was a skip in the front garden as he got rid of the accumulated junk they didn't want to move with and finish off the last few jobs.
New person moves in. Another skip arrives. Several weeks of removing recently fitted stuff and replacing it with new stuff they liked.

Well, I suppose it keeps the economy ticking along.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #13322 on: 15 June, 2021, 05:47:13 pm »
IMHO "Doing up a place to sell" should be limited to fixing actual problems and a big tub of landlord-grade magnolia to keep the mistake agents happy.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #13323 on: 15 June, 2021, 05:52:13 pm »

+1  The triffids are best when they're Somebody Else's Problem.  If I'm going to go outside and get allergic/injured, I'd much rather it be for a bike ride or something fun, rather than sodding gardening.  Drainage issues can - at least in principle - be solved by Doing It Properly.

+1.  Murdock*'s First Law of Gardening: if it's green the paving isn't finished yet.

* Guy "Murdock" Barrett, not him off of The A-Team

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #13324 on: 15 June, 2021, 05:57:24 pm »
I'm sure the A-Team's Murdock has strong opinions about gardening, too.