Author Topic: Pannier hooks - where from?  (Read 3311 times)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Pannier hooks - where from?
« on: 24 November, 2011, 04:01:45 pm »
I need some new pannier hooks after my last one got all but broken this morning when my pannier took off over some cobbles.
Photos of the hook and the pannier that hooks onto it are below. I've looked on t'net in the past but I've not seen anything similar. Any ideas where I could get something to replace it?

IMAG0269 by The Pingus, on Flickr

IMAG0270 by The Pingus, on Flickr
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Re: Pannier hooks - where from?
« Reply #1 on: 24 November, 2011, 04:09:06 pm »
I suggest using a cable tie through the D rings and hooking over the bit of the rack that forms a 'hook'.

Make the cable tie into a loop, adjust until it only just allows you to lift pannier on/off.

Carry replacements  - if you make cable tie too tight, cut it and replace it.

Cable ties used like this are better than cord or elastic with hooks, IMO.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 24 November, 2011, 04:17:47 pm »
I need some new pannier hooks after my last one got all but broken this morning when my pannier took off over some cobbles.

I've not encountered such things as spares before, but it strikes me that the above serves as good demonstration of why they're a work of Stan.  Could you retrofit some Rixen and Kaul goodness (of which SJS have an extensive range)?

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3 on: 24 November, 2011, 04:29:23 pm »
SJS sell spares.
Getting there...

« Reply #4 on: 24 November, 2011, 04:48:50 pm »

I've not encountered such things as spares before, but it strikes me that the above serves as good demonstration of why they're a work of Stan. 
At one time, those hooks were cutting edge technology. But you are too young to remember such times.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5 on: 24 November, 2011, 05:13:52 pm »
At one time, those hooks were cutting edge technology. But you are too young to remember such times.

Indeed; I only remember the time they jettisoned my front left pannier into a pothole on the Shepherd's Bush Roundabout.   :hand:

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #6 on: 24 November, 2011, 05:50:27 pm »
I haven't got the elasticy bit, but I think there are a couple of the carrier brackets in my spares box. When the weather improves I will have a look in my shed and post them on if you want them.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #7 on: 24 November, 2011, 08:54:55 pm »
Ah yes, something like this prolly would have done - out of stock. http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/nimrod-nimrod-pannier-bag-rack-bottom-hooks-prod23193/

Thanks Windy, if you don't have a use for them that would be gradely :) if you'd rather hang on to them though I've just seen similar t above at JE James.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #8 on: 24 November, 2011, 08:57:39 pm »
Ah yes, something like this prolly would have done - out of stock. http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/nimrod-nimrod-pannier-bag-rack-bottom-hooks-prod23193/

I must have bought the last pair last week.

Sorry.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

Wonky

• Not exactly straight or narrow
Pannier hooks - where from?
« Reply #9 on: 24 November, 2011, 09:13:21 pm »

Hope the image works. If not, its a short bungee tie wrapped to the pannier loop. The ends of the bungee hook on to the bit between the outer and inner rods of the rack.

edit - less lazy way of uploading pic

« Reply #10 on: 25 November, 2011, 12:58:10 am »
Back in pre-Ortlieb days, I just got a length of shock cord (6 or 7mm), tied it in a small loop, and hooked it onto the prong on the rack where the strut flares out below the weld.

iakobski

« Reply #11 on: 25 November, 2011, 08:11:08 am »
Do you need the elastic bit or just the metal tab thing? If you do I've got one still in it's pack (they come in pairs) that you're welcome to if you need it.

IanDG

• the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #12 on: 25 November, 2011, 09:21:02 am »

Thanks Windy, if you don't have a use for them that would be gradely :) if you'd rather hang on to them though I've just seen similar t above at JE James.

I shall have alook in the light tomorrow and let you know - I don't need them

« Reply #13 on: 25 November, 2011, 01:23:14 pm »
SJS sell spares.
Yup, they're out there to be bought. I bought a pair from somebody (can't remember who - not necessarily SJS) once, when a hook decided to self-destruct among the spokes after I hit a bump.

The wheel was OK.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

IanDG

• the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #14 on: 25 November, 2011, 07:46:04 pm »
Found them, I have 2 (I went to the shed in the dark, I needed a bottle of wine). PM me your adress and I'll post them over.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #15 on: 25 November, 2011, 09:57:05 pm »
Yup, they're out there to be bought. I bought a pair from somebody (can't remember who - not necessarily SJS) once, when a hook decided to self-destruct among the spokes after I hit a bump.

Work of Stan, I say...