Author Topic: SURVEY CITY OF WESTMINSTER = 20mph speed limit  (Read 1676 times)

Philip Benstead

• Cycling4ALL - say No Bike No Life
SURVEY CITY OF WESTMINSTER = 20mph speed limit
« on: 27 September, 2019, 03:36:07 pm »
PLEASE COMPLETE

https://www.westminster.gov.uk/20mph
Home > Road safety

CITY OF WESTMINSTER = 20mph speed limit

Do you support 20mph speed limits across Westminster? We are proposing 20mph speed limits across the city in our drive to make Westminster a safer, healthier and cleaner environment for everyone. Reducing speeds reduces the severity of accidents and makes it safer to walk and cycle – helping improve public space and encourage healthier, more active lifestyles.

We have already introduced 20mph speed limits around 39 schools in Westminster following a successful trial. Lower speed limits were supported by an overwhelming majority of residents, who felt it would be safer to walk and cycle in their community.

We are now consulting on 20mph speed limits for all roads across Westminster (except for Transport for London’s red routes, some of which will also become 20mph in the near future).

This proposal is just part of the council’s drive to create a healthier and greener Westminster. We are also campaigning to improve air quality around schools, create low emissions neighbourhoods, improve energy efficiency, enhance green space and much more. Find out more about our action plan for a greener city.
Have your say

Tell us what you think about 20pmh speed limits by taking our very short survey. You can also tell us what else you think is important for a healthier and greener city.

Take the survey

The consultation will run for 3 months, closing on 10 December 2019.
Drop-in events
We are running a series of drop-in events where you can find out more and ask questions. No need to book, just come along.
Thursday 26 September   3pm to 7pm   Paddington Recreation Ground, Randolph Ave, Maida Vale, London W9 1PD
Monday 30 September   3.30pm to 7.30pm   Hinde Street Methodist Church, 19 Thayer Street, London W1U 2QJ
Monday 7 October   2pm to 6pm   Church Street Library, 67-69 Church Street, London NW8 8EU
Wednesday 16 October   1pm to 5pm   Seven Dials Club & Covent Garden Community Centre, 42 Earlham Street, London WC2H 9LA
Monday 21 October   2.15pm to 6:15pm   St Judes’ Community Hall, 69 Illbert Street, London W10 4QJ
Tuesday 5 November   3pm to 7pm   Rembrandt Hotel, 11 Thurloe Place, Knightsbridge, London SW7 2RS
Monday 11 November   3pm to 7pm   Abbey Centre, 34 Great Smith St, London SW1P 3BU

Philip Benstead B.Env.Sc. (Hons.), NSI

Independent Cycle Campaigner and Cycle Consultant
DfT accredited BikeAbility Instructor / L3 Mechanic
07949801698 cycling4westminster@gmail.com

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
Re: SURVEY CITY OF WESTMINSTER = 20mph speed limit
« Reply #1 on: 27 September, 2019, 06:33:24 pm »
I'm not sure faster is safer. Current average speed in Westminster is less than 10mph

Eddington  127miles, 170km

« Reply #2 on: 27 September, 2019, 07:17:22 pm »
Well, yes. But that average involves 40 mph + between traffic lights on some roads. Driving at 20 mph would get you to your destination at exactly the same time but only if everyone does otherwise all the 40 mph drivers push you further back in the queue. Unless you are on a sensible mode of transport and can filter.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

« Reply #3 on: 27 September, 2019, 08:38:01 pm »
Average speed when commuting Eastbound in the morning is closer to 15mph. I often see the same vehicles when I cross Vauxhall Bridge Road as I was passing or being passed by when going over Putney Bridge.

Coming the other way is a completely different story. Instead of taking the 20 minutes it does to go Eastbound I'd say it would be at least 40 minutes for cars going Westbound.

(Hammersmith Bridge being closed is one important factor.)

I'm all for 20mph limits in Westminster as I commute through it most days.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."