Author Topic: Shewee/Whizz Freedom  (Read 19871 times)

Clare

• Is in NZ
Shewee/Whizz Freedom
« on: 22 July, 2010, 12:49:11 pm »
Anybody has used / is using either of these, if so what are your views on them please?

(Can we avoid replies regarding how much of a failure I am if I can't piss standing up without assistance please, I've had enough of that on another forum.)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Shewee/Whizz Freedom
« Reply #1 on: 22 July, 2010, 12:53:22 pm »
I have no experience of either and have enough trouble with the equipment I was born with. However, there was a fascinating conversation on the Norwich WARTY to which I listened attentively. It appears that there are some experienced Sheeweers on this forum who will be able to give you the benefit of their expertise and, for all I know, may well be able to offer hands-on lessons.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #2 on: 22 July, 2010, 12:55:13 pm »
Although tempted, I feel the times I'd want one I'd be wearing lycra anyway, so no advantage. I think I have yet to attend a forum ride where they were not discussed. Butterfly is an expert, Charlotte is yet to be convinced, Kim fettles her own and NSTN recommends the disposable for festivals.

« Reply #3 on: 22 July, 2010, 12:56:02 pm »
TTIUWP  ;)
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: 22 July, 2010, 12:56:10 pm »
Good summary, boab  :)

I have a Shewee and I'm none too impressed.  They say you should practice with it in the shower first and get the hang of it, but I'm afraid that unless I can achieve 100% reliability with the thing, I'm not going to risk it in the Great Outdoors.

I'm told that one of the issues people experience with it is that it covers too small an area.  I don't know whether this is the case for me or whether I'm just very poorly coordinated.  Either way, I'm not happy to use it as anything more than a funnel for my Trangia meths now.
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #5 on: 22 July, 2010, 01:06:10 pm »
I have a Shewee and I'm none too impressed.  They say you should practice with it in the shower first and get the hang of it, but I'm afraid that unless I can achieve 100% reliability with the thing, I'm not going to risk it in the Great Outdoors.

Sorry if I'm being really thick, but not impressed because...?

Does it leak? The funnel fill and overflow? You get a sprinkler effect and pee down the outside of it? Other?

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #6 on: 22 July, 2010, 01:33:52 pm »
I have not tried these things.
It strikes me that I would wish to minimise the area that gets pissy and that using a funnel would increase it, increasing the risk of later soreness (or at least the number of precious tissues needed).
A girl can achieve a good clean stream with the right posture and state of undress.
Funnels probably work against this.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7 on: 22 July, 2010, 01:58:51 pm »
It strikes me that I would wish to minimise the area that gets pissy and that using a funnel would increase it, increasing the risk of later soreness (or at least the number of precious tissues needed).
A girl can achieve a good clean stream with the right posture and state of undress.

At risk of invoking the inevitable TMI, I disagree.  Achieving a good clean stream (at least, in a predictable direction) is something that I'm spectacularly bad at after hours in the saddle and the use of chamois cream.  Murphy's law dictates that the unpredictable direction will predictably be towards your legs, feet or partially removed clothing.

A funnel solves these problems.  And at least you know where the pissy area ends and the harmless sweaty / slimy area begins.

More critically, the ability to use it standing up means you don't have to worry about tired legs or knee failure causing you to fall bare-sweaty-arse-backwards into earth/nettles/brambles.  That happened to me once, and trying (not entirely successfully) to remove every last piece of grit before continuing the ride used my entire supply of precious tissues and a good deal of my remaining water.  Never Again.

On a related note, someone brought this one to my attention recently:

http://www.go-girl.com/

Soft silicone seems like an excellent idea for ensuring leak-free operation.  No personal experience though.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: 22 July, 2010, 02:07:35 pm »
I have a Shewee and I'm none too impressed.  They say you should practice with it in the shower first and get the hang of it, but I'm afraid that unless I can achieve 100% reliability with the thing, I'm not going to risk it in the Great Outdoors.

Sorry if I'm being really thick, but not impressed because...?

Does it leak? The funnel fill and overflow? You get a sprinkler effect and pee down the outside of it? Other?

Although in the privacy of my own shower, it seemed to work, in the Great Outdoors I couldn't achieve a decent "seal", leading to wet trousering and a blue tinge to the air in the immediate vicinity. Fortunately this was down at the SEEKRIT BUNKER and the Walk Of Shame was only a couple of hundred yards.

:-[

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #9 on: 22 July, 2010, 04:28:14 pm »

Level of undress is the isue here, I'm looking for something that doesn't involve removing clothing and that will preferably work with cycling shorts.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #10 on: 22 July, 2010, 04:41:53 pm »

Level of undress is the isue here, I'm looking for something that doesn't involve removing clothing and that will preferably work with cycling shorts.

Isn't that the nub of the problem? Skintight Lycra will remain skin/funnel tight and a bu**er to get  clear enough from the stream.

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #11 on: 22 July, 2010, 04:53:16 pm »
Although in the privacy of my own shower, it seemed to work, in the Great Outdoors I couldn't achieve a decent "seal", leading to wet trousering and a blue tinge to the air in the immediate vicinity. Fortunately this was down at the SEEKRIT BUNKER and the Walk Of Shame was only a couple of hundred yards.

:-[

Ah, not good!

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #12 on: 22 July, 2010, 04:56:53 pm »

Isn't that the nub of the problem? Skintight Lycra will remain skin/funnel tight and a bu**er to get  clear enough from the stream.

I'm not sure about this, if a bloke can get his knob clear of his shorts and piss without taking them off then I don't see any reason why I can't stretch my shorts far enough to use a Shewee, this is why I particularly want to hear the experiences of female cyclists who have used one.

Legs

« Reply #13 on: 22 July, 2010, 05:03:49 pm »
I don't know about other cyclists of the bloke gender, but I tend to roll the leg of my shorts up so that I can access the twig and berries.  I don't think you could do that with a Shewee...

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: 22 July, 2010, 05:07:48 pm »
I'm not sure about this, if a bloke can get his knob clear of his shorts and piss without taking them off then I don't see any reason why I can't stretch my shorts far enough to use a Shewee, this is why I particularly want to hear the experiences of female cyclists who have used one.

I bought an "extension tube" to go with Sheewee.  It's actually just a bit of plastic hose, meant to make it a bit longer so you can use it with bulky clothing (think motorbike leathers, salopettes or something).

Apparently, length can be important  ::-)

Chris S

« Reply #15 on: 22 July, 2010, 05:12:02 pm »
Knobs are bendy (in this context) and directable. I doubt the girlie alternatives being discussed here have the same... ahem... flexibility.

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #16 on: 22 July, 2010, 05:14:50 pm »
Knobs are bendy (in this context) and directable. I doubt the girlie alternatives being discussed here have the same... ahem... flexibility.

Should have, they're made of silicone.

Chris S

« Reply #17 on: 22 July, 2010, 05:16:10 pm »

Hmm...I was assuming that bending and flexing would compromise a necessary seal - that was all.

« Reply #18 on: 22 July, 2010, 05:19:48 pm »
Knobs are also attached a good few inches higher on the body than the base of women's bits where the shewee would need to be placed.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #19 on: 22 July, 2010, 05:22:14 pm »

Hmm...I was assuming that bending and flexing would compromise a necessary seal - that was all.

I think a certain amount of practise may be needed, that's where the shower cubicle will be handy (easily cleaned and enclosed!).

Interestingly the Shewee site seems to suggest that you shouldn't form a seal with one, there should be a small gap apparently, to allow free flow down the tube.

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
« Reply #20 on: 22 July, 2010, 05:33:03 pm »
The Shewee is not flexible, and as far as I can tell is hard polypropylene, not silicone.

I've used one a few times, including the extension tube.  As Charlotte says, this is basically just a few inches of PVC pipe which can be fitted to the funnel.  They're a bit 'meh,' but seem to work ok for me.  Practice is required, but I have no idea why they recommend trying it in the shower - you don't even stand the same way in the shower.  Practice should be done whilst wearing real clothes, and that way you get a sense of how to hold the damn thing without it leaking all down your leg and into your shoe.  Do not ask me how I know this.

It's a one-size-fits-all unit, which doesn't fit anyone as far as I can see, but it does address the question of how/where to pee without hiding in the bushes for those of us that are largely flush decked and have hip/back flex issues. 

You might also find a use for cleansing wipes and hand sanitiser if you're going to use one on a camping tour where you can't easily clean and dry it. Oh, and sand off the moulding flash before you use it.  Trust me on this.
L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #21 on: 22 July, 2010, 05:46:54 pm »
The Shewee is not flexible, and as far as I can tell is hard polypropylene, not silicone.

My bad, I was getting confused with the Go-Girl which is apparently silicone.

I've used one a few times, including the extension tube.  As Charlotte says, this is basically just a few inches of PVC pipe which can be fitted to the funnel.  They're a bit 'meh,' but seem to work ok for me.  Practice is required, but I have no idea why they recommend trying it in the shower - you don't even stand the same way in the shower.  Practice should be done whilst wearing real clothes, and that way you get a sense of how to hold the damn thing without it leaking all down your leg and into your shoe.  Do not ask me how I know this.

I think the shower idea is because it's easy to clean a shower cubicle.

It's a one-size-fits-all unit, which doesn't fit anyone as far as I can see, but it does address the question of how/where to pee without hiding in the bushes for those of us that are largely flush decked and have hip/back flex issues. 

You might also find a use for cleansing wipes and hand sanitiser if you're going to use one on a camping tour where you can't easily clean and dry it. Oh, and sand off the moulding flash before you use it.  Trust me on this.

How long did it take you to get the hang of it?

P.S. what does "largely flush decked mean"?

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #22 on: 22 July, 2010, 06:03:03 pm »
What (some of us at least) are curious to know is, can you write your name in the snow when using one?
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #23 on: 22 July, 2010, 06:14:22 pm »
I don't know about other cyclists of the bloke gender, but I tend to roll the leg of my shorts up so that I can access the twig and berries.  I don't think you could do that with a Shewee...

I only have to do that with 3/4s

;)
It is simpler than it looks.

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
« Reply #24 on: 22 July, 2010, 06:37:25 pm »
I think the shower idea is because it's easy to clean a shower cubicle.
True, but I'd recommend practice be done clothed, wherever you point the thing.  You stand differently (or at least, I do) when clothed.  You're also more aware of the 'dangers' of the leakage!

How long did it take you to get the hang of it?
A few goes.  'Not sealing' is a bit of a red herring.  It won't really form any meaningful 'seal', but it kind of means 'don't try to hug it into place.'  You'll tilt it backwards and you really won't like that.  If I'm off on a trip and haven't used it for a while, I may have a 'reminder' practice.

P.S. what does "largely flush decked mean"?
In ship terms, it means the deck forms an unbroken sweep from stem to stern, with no superstructure.  It's a metaphor for not having a penis.
L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…