Author Topic: Cutting a hole for a catflap in a glass door  (Read 20938 times)

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
Cutting a hole for a catflap in a glass door
« on: 01 August, 2011, 03:48:35 pm »
Little Baal and Belphagor are going to be making their first unaccompanied steps into the outside world in a few weeks.  So we're going to need a catflap fitting.

Entry and egress will be through the conservatory, which is brick built and plastic-clad on the outside, plasterboard on the inside.  The best place for the catflap will be through the glass in the back door - which is a full length, single glazed panel.  I've read what the catflap manufacturers say here and I'm not sure about the whole thing.

I popped into the local glaziers this lunchtime and they would charge us sixty nine quid plus vat to come out and cut a circular hole in the glass of the back door so we can fit a cat flap over it.  That's if it's untoughened glass (which, by law it ought not to be if it was fitted recently).  If it's toughened glass (and there's no kite mark to warn them off) as soon as they try to cut it, it'll break.  Ker-ching, rack up another seventy quid or so to reglaze the door with a kitteh-hole ready piece of toughened glass.

My question to the panel is, given that there's a good likelihood of breaking it anyway, ought I try to cut the hole myself, just in case I get lucky?  How is it done?  I get the impression that it's probably harder than it looks, with a good chance of buggering it up, but has anyone done it themselves?  How did you get on?  Any tips?

Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
Re: Cutting a hole for a catflap in a glass door
« Reply #1 on: 01 August, 2011, 03:54:19 pm »
Just to mention our neighbours' cat flap is about 2 feet off the ground so the poor mite* has to take a flying leap at it.  Not nice at all.
* the cat that is, not the neighbour.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #2 on: 01 August, 2011, 03:57:29 pm »
Why a circular hole?  Most cat flaps I've fitted need a rectangular hole, even if the flap is circular.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3 on: 01 August, 2011, 04:00:52 pm »
Didn't we a have a thread about this a while back?
I can't find it but I don't think my memory has failed.
Yet!

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: 01 August, 2011, 04:04:08 pm »
Why a circular hole?  Most cat flaps I've fitted need a rectangular hole, even if the flap is circular.

Because cutting a rectangular hole inna piece of glass would be almost as likely to shatter it as attempting to cut one in the shape of His Noodly Appendage...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5 on: 01 August, 2011, 04:09:00 pm »

« Reply #6 on: 01 August, 2011, 04:10:57 pm »
Good luck with this one. The only time I've done this was in a pane before it was fitted. Then I cleaned the glass thoroughly with meths, scored the od with a glasscutter in a continuous ring (used the sucker from a childrens arrow and a piece of wood with lots of duct tape to make a sort of primitive compass), hatched the area with a glass cutter, being careful not to over shoot the outer ring, but score right up to it. Then I drilled a couple of starter holes with a glass drill to get me going. I nibbled the glass away tapping on the back of the break lines and using pliers. However to do this, I had the glass supported horizontally in a bath of water. I managed one hole ok. It took me several hours and I was sweating profusely. On the second hole the glass cracked (2 holes in one pane). After that I went down to the glazier and bought a piece with the holes ready cut in. I couldn't stand the tension of thinking the glass was about to smash at any moment.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: 01 August, 2011, 04:18:50 pm »
I found the old thread! http://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=39785.msg757431#msg757431 et seq.

Oh good job!

Good luck with this one. The only time I've done this was in a pane before it was fitted. Then I cleaned the glass thoroughly with meths, scored the od with a glasscutter in a continuous ring (used the sucker from a childrens arrow and a piece of wood with lots of duct tape to make a sort of primitive compass), hatched the area with a glass cutter, being careful not to over shoot the outer ring, but score right up to it. Then I drilled a couple of starter holes with a glass drill to get me going. I nibbled the glass away tapping on the back of the break lines and using pliers. However to do this, I had the glass supported horizontally in a bath of water. I managed one hole ok. It took me several hours and I was sweating profusely. On the second hole the glass cracked (2 holes in one pane). After that I went down to the glazier and bought a piece with the holes ready cut in. I couldn't stand the tension of thinking the glass was about to smash at any moment.

Looks like it's going to be a better idea to breathe in and cough up for a pro to do it then...  :-\

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #8 on: 01 August, 2011, 04:20:30 pm »
Do you really need a catflap?

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #9 on: 01 August, 2011, 04:26:02 pm »
Isn't it easier to get them keys cut?

Actually, Pingu has a point.  I've lived in many houses where I wasn't allowed to have a cat flap.  The cats found their own places to shelter when they were waiting for me to come home.

Alternatively, I've used windows as access points. 
Getting there...

« Reply #10 on: 01 August, 2011, 04:31:08 pm »
I've done it once.
It's not easy even with (as I had) un-toughened glass - it's still 6mm thick, and took a fair bit of hard hitting with a hammer.
With each failed hit, my palms would sweat more at the prospect of 'next time I'm gonna have to hit it harder - but not too hard - so just how hard did I hit it last time?'
By the end of it my palms were like the Niagra Falls.
You don't need a particularly neat hole - the bezel of the cat flap hides a multitude of sins.

G'wan! Goggles anna club hammer  :D

Or cough - and make it someone else's problem  :)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #11 on: 01 August, 2011, 04:44:08 pm »
If you are going to try cutting the glass yourself, you really ought to do it in the dark while dangling upside down in a climbing harness wearing a balaclava.  It's a tradition, an old charter or something.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: 01 August, 2011, 04:50:58 pm »
Whilst whispering into a throat mike to an accomplice sitting a couple of streets away in a nondescript black van, stuffed to the gunwales full of possibly illegal electronic surveillance kit, you mean?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #13 on: 01 August, 2011, 04:54:05 pm »
Absolutely.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #14 on: 01 August, 2011, 04:58:07 pm »
First off. Put yer shades on.

If its toughened, like windscreen glass you should be able to see the 'pattern' with polarised lenses.

All toughend glass should carry a kitemark. IIRC.

IANAG but 70 quid to cut a hole doesn't like good value to me . . .

Take the door off and cause a stir on the high street?

. . . and if anyone asks what you are doing just tell them you didn't want to take offence . . .

ITHANGYEW
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #15 on: 01 August, 2011, 05:09:36 pm »
IF you really need a catflap then I would suggest that the glazier's offer is a bargain .. if he breaks it, that's his problem (get that clear up front) ... if you break it then it'll be quite a lot of money and you'll be insecure while the new glass is sourced, cut and fitted..

BUT what about some lateral thinking? - cut a hole in the brickwork (easy with a brick bolster and hammer) fit the inner and outer catflap doors .. they can have a nice little tunnel to run through.

Or, of course, depending on how much meat there is on them a restaurant may be interested  :demon:

Rob

The Mechanic

« Reply #16 on: 01 August, 2011, 05:20:43 pm »
Speaking as your friendly HSE adviser this is my advice:

If the glass is toughened or laminated you cannot cut a hole in it.  Solution get a new piece of glass with a hole in it.

If the gass is not toughened or laminated, get a new piece of toughened or laminated glass with a hole in it.  I have seen too many people of all ages with either hideous scars or a nice shinny coffin as a result of altercations with float glass doors.

Do it, do it now!

« Reply #17 on: 01 August, 2011, 05:22:25 pm »
What about training them to ring the door bell?

« Reply #18 on: 01 August, 2011, 05:34:27 pm »
What about training them to ring the door bell?

Like <a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/whwiMrBNWCA&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/whwiMrBNWCA&rel=1</a>?

LEE

« Reply #19 on: 01 August, 2011, 05:41:44 pm »
I saw a DIY show that did this.

They got a big Bull Dog to chase the cat through the door.  It left a perfect cat-shaped hole in the door.

Thinking about it, it may have been a Tom & Jerry cartoon because the cat also swallowed an ironing board and hit the dog with a frying pan.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #20 on: 01 August, 2011, 07:09:58 pm »
When we had a conservatory thing I cut the hole in the wall and gave them a tunnel.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #21 on: 01 August, 2011, 08:31:38 pm »
Change the door to a half glass door simple

AndyK

« Reply #22 on: 01 August, 2011, 08:36:53 pm »
I wouldn't even consider making a hole in the door. I'd make the hole in the wall.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #23 on: 01 August, 2011, 09:31:24 pm »
I've been quite luck on the occasions I've had to fit a cat flap.  Both times I was able to remove a lower panel from the back door.  This I stored away somewhere and then fitted a new piece of wood with appropriate hole.  Paint whole door and job's done.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #24 on: 01 August, 2011, 09:48:11 pm »
I wouldn't even consider making a hole in the door. I'd make the hole in the wall.

That was exactly my reaction when I read your post.

Entry and egress will be through the conservatory, which is brick built and plastic-clad on the outside, plasterboard on the inside.

Which would be straight forward procedure for a lass of your practical ability, no?

Might be a bit of making good if there's a cavity between the brick and plaster board, but an SDS drill, or just a basic hammer and bolster [although slow and tedious] and away you go.

Personally, I wouldn't even consider touching the glass.
Garry Broad