Author Topic: New Calendar Event: The Hailsham Venta 300 - Well Nearly. Saturday June 1st 2019  (Read 3064 times)

AJB

Having now progressed to being a Provisional L2 Organiser I originally intended to rerun Dave 'El Supremo' Hudson's; Hailsham Venta 3am 300, which was I understood a variant of Andy Seviour's (Of Mad Jack and Hills and Mills fame); An Adventre to Venta 300km, but with a 6am start and Village Hall feed/control.

With the Hailsham Venta 3am 300 starting so early, it made extensive use of the then quiet A22 and A272, but with my revised start time I've change the route to minimise their use and also taken the opportunity to rename the ride - a third variant of Andy's original......

Details of the event can be found on its calendar page at http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/19-254/ , but consists of:

Stage 1 Hailsham to Buckbarn
Stage 2 Buckbarn to Chichester
Stage 3 Chichester to Sutton Scotney
Stage 4 Sutton Scotney via INFO to Rogate Village Hall
Stage 5 Rogate Village Hall via INFO to Pyecombe
Stage 6 Pyecombe to Hellingly (near Hailsham) followed by 2km back to starting carpark

Postal Finish

Anton

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
Hmmm.
*strokes chin and thinks*

Would this put me on the road to France for a long ride?
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

iddu

• Are we there yet?
No.

Outside ACP 300 date range, so BR.
I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
Not planning on PBP and enjoyed this last time (Hampshire downs etc) BUT:
istr that the reasoning behind the 3:00 am start was also that folks could get the last train down from Londonton and therefore even slow pokes would finish in time to get a train home at the end.  Thus avoiding any of that car stuff.
but I could be confusing with something else
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

Martin

Not planning on PBP and enjoyed this last time (Hampshire downs etc) BUT:
istr that the reasoning behind the 3:00 am start was also that folks could get the last train down from Londonton and therefore even slow pokes would finish in time to get a train home at the end.  Thus avoiding any of that car stuff.
but I could be confusing with something else

don't think so IMO

done the 0300 and 0600 start versions of this (or a very similar route) before. As a regular of Anton's perms I can vouch that the routes are excellent!

There is a Travelodge near the start for the carless; they are a bit down on their luck ATM so maybe some bargains to be had?

AJB

Sorry this is not a PBP qualifier since a) outside the 300 window and b) too late to consider registering it’s a BRM.

The 3am start was considered but I found waiting for such a start time frustrating. Like I said the 6am would use main roads without a route change.

I did consider starting at 2300 on the Friday but then had issues with my village hall booking.

Hopefully it will appeal to some and if not at least I tried

Anton

Good to see this in the calendar, first 300km event from Hailsham for some 7 years at a guess. :thumbsup:
As it says on the tin, based on some of Dave's perms and not to be confused with the original 1997 route by MJ..  ;D

Mad Jacks JSM/  Hills and Mills to be continued in 2021

Martin

Good to see you and ride with you again Anton;

entered!  :thumbsup:

FWIW I try to avoid Venta itself on most rides (apart from going to see son#2 when he lived there) as it's a bit of a traffic snarl up which can be easily avoided.

AJB

Good to see you and ride with you again Anton;

entered!  :thumbsup:

FWIW I try to avoid Venta itself on most rides (apart from going to see son#2 when he lived there) as it's a bit of a traffic snarl up which can be easily avoided.

Nice to see you Martin again. It's been a number of years.

Entry received.

Re avoiding Venta. Yes the centre of Winchester is not nice, so I avoid this part and bypass the city completely.

AJB

AJB

Final route checking will be undertaken this weekend and any amendments to the Routesheet / GPS Track will be uploaded early next week.

For those who have already entered I'll also be sending out an email with the same details.

Entry will be closing May 25th 2019.

AJB

Martin

Thanks for a cracking event Anton  :thumbsup:

challenging in the heat but fantastic views and controls and only a couple of nasty climbs near the end which are out of your control  :)

Thanks also to Shirley for top snacks at Rogate

AJB

Thanks for a cracking event Anton  :thumbsup:

challenging in the heat but fantastic views and controls and only a couple of nasty climbs near the end which are out of your control  :)

Thanks also to Shirley for top snacks at Rogate

Glad you enjoyed the ride and I’ll pass on your thanks to Shirley.

Oh your suggestion of also running a 200 alongside being considered for next year

Martin

I think the 200 would be a very good idea; I've ridden it many times (and the other variants) but there are some people that just "don't do perms" so opening it up as a calendar would be great.

BTW the section after Midhurst with the forests and lake is superb! who'd have thought there was anywhere like that in West Sussex?

AJB

I think the 200 would be a very good idea; I've ridden it many times (and the other variants) but there are some people that just "don't do perms" so opening it up as a calendar would be great.

BTW the section after Midhurst with the forests and lake is superb! who'd have thought there was anywhere like that in West Sussex?

Martin

Once I’ve got my Devils Punchbowl and Petworth End of Summer Time Rides out of the way I’ll look at this. Only concern is section on A272 between Buckbarn and Wisborough Green. Rerouting on minor roads will result in being over distant. Maybe remove the return via Pyecombe

We will see

Martin

The A272 section is very busy (although drivers are almost all considerate) which is why I usually prefer to reverse the route and do that bit in the evening, it's a shame as the rest of the route is entirely on quiet roads. But Buckbarn is a very useful control with a safe crossing of the A24. Let me give it some thought and local knowledge  :)