General Category > Freewheeling

Kit for different temperatures

(1/4) > >>

telstarbox:
It was unseasonably mild in Kent this weekend which got me thinking about what clothing works for different temperature. I think my approximate ranges are:

13C and above - short sleeve jersey + base layer, shorts, socks, shoes
8-12C - long jersey + short base layer, shorts, socks, shoes
4-7C - long jersey + long base layer, leggings + overshorts, socks, shoes
3C and below - long jersey + long base layer, leggings + overshorts, double socks, shoes
Plus full gloves for all temperatures.

These would be for a ride of 2-3 hours. For a commute I'd tolerate a bit of cold and for something longer I'd err on the side of being overdressed, likewise if the forecast included significant wind. 

What works for you?

perpetual dan:
I rarely remember the temperature so not sure about those. Damp is the other thing I'd consider.
On the top the progression is probably short sleeve, long sleeve, long sleeve with long base layer. Though there's  lighter and heavier of both top and base.
On the bottom shorts, shorts and bikesters, warm longs. With cooler or warmer socks and neoprene overshoes.
Also hats and gloves to suit.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

mrcharly-YHT:
I always carry a windproof/showerproof. Temperatures vary from start to end of a day a lot, so can the weather.

DuncanM:
I hate leggings because they mess up my knee tracking, so I wear shorts whatever the weather. You didn't include a warmer temperature setting without the base layer - I definitely have such a setting.
As for gloves, I only wear full fingers when it's wintery, otherwise it's mitts.

Kim:

--- Quote from: telstarbox on 25 November, 2019, 12:34:30 pm ---What works for you?

--- End quote ---

For sustained riding:

>15C: 3/4s, jersey, mitts, sandals or highly ventilated road shoes.
12-15C: 3/4s, base layer, jersey, mitts.  Sandals or normal MTB shoes with thin socks.
8-12C: 3/4s (or tights over 3/4s), base layer, jersey + arm warmers (or winter jersey), thin gloves, Sandals or MTB shoes with thicker socks.  Optional windproof gilet for extra warmth.
5-8C: Tights over 3/4s, base layer, winter jersey, thick gloves, wool cycling cap, cycling shoes or boots with two pairs of socks.
<5C: As above, but extra base layers, buffs, glove liners, etc.  Waterproof jacket for warmth rather than keeping water out.

(Add a little extra clothing for conditions below 12C where I don't have the insulation of a recumbent seat.)

If I'm just doing short utility rides, I'll cut down on the layers and wear the waterproof jacket instead, and be a bit less fussy about foot insulation (generally winter boots in my standard cotton socks).  I'll be at my destination before I'm soaked with sweat and my feet have frozen.

If I'm not already wearing them, I usually carry Rainlegs, gilet, arm warmers, +1 level of gloves and a buff on any non-utility ride, and usually a waterproof jacket unless it's unambiguously too hot for such things.

I sweat according to effort, not temperature, which means I get cold when I stop, and am really bad at judging the temperature before I've been riding for a while.  I find the thermometer on my cycle computer useful for knowing what layers to add (or more likely, remove) before I get back on the bike - especially on overnight rides where there's a wide range of temperatures.

The 8-12C band is very context-dependent.  I'll wear a lot less when the temperature drops below 12 on a summer night ride than I'd want for going out in today's November 9C drizzle.

If it's warm enough, my general approach to rain for sustained riding is to wear as little as possible, on the basis that it will dry out more quickly.

I see no real disadvantage to 3/4s in hot weather, and the extra knee insulation makes a difference in medium conditions, so I don't bother with owning shorts.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version