Author Topic: DECT cordless phones (with call blocking?)  (Read 1102 times)

fuaran

• rothair gasta
DECT cordless phones (with call blocking?)
« on: 17 March, 2015, 12:32:35 am »
My cordless phones have died.

Any recommendations for replacements?
Doesn't need to be too fancy, so long as it is reliable, decent call quality etc. Are they much of a muchness, should I just pick a decent brand?
About 3 handsets should do.

It would be handy if it handy if it had some sort of call blocking, to stop the usual telesales etc. From reading reviews, it seems some brands can only block specific numbers, but not block withheld/out of area numbers, which most of the junk calls seem to be.
I would rather just block all withheld numbers, or send them all straight to voicemail.

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
Re: DECT cordless phones (with call blocking?)
« Reply #1 on: 17 March, 2015, 08:18:39 am »
From recent researches, I get the impression that some of the higher up the range Siemens ones can do more than just block specific numbers, but you'd have to look them up and read the instruction manuals online (something I tend to do whenever making a significant purchase).

We've got Panasonic ones, which can only block specific numbers, and whilst they work OK, the display really is rather tacky looking.  Somewhere I'm convinced I've seen an Android DECT phone, but damned if I know where!  Why does no-one seem to make a base station with a wired phone (so it keeps working in a power cut) but with DECT satellites?

Sadly, of course the Telephone Preference service can't help with the ubiquitous overseas ("out of area" is all our phone says) presumably marketing messages.  I never know what they say, as our answering machine is always on, and we just ignore them, as they never respond to the answering machine.
Wombat

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #2 on: 17 March, 2015, 08:21:54 am »
Android DECT = made by Archos and they are rubbish.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #3 on: 17 March, 2015, 08:28:27 am »
Why does no-one seem to make a base station with a wired phone (so it keeps working in a power cut) but with DECT satellites?

There certainly used to be at least one on the market - Binatone, I think. Bit low end, and only one cordless handset, but functional enough.

« Reply #4 on: 17 March, 2015, 08:40:17 am »
We've had a set of Seimens Gigaset phones for a few years now - I bought them because of their ability to route calls to VOIP lines according to a dial plan - they have been rock solid. The most reliable phones we've had.
But - they don't have call blocking, for that I've got a Truecall unit in line ( www.truecall.co.uk ) again very reliable and very flexible (however I was caught out by the subscription to continue to use the control panel in the second & subsequent years.)
The Truecall unit is something I now wouldn't be without.
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

tiermat

« Reply #5 on: 17 March, 2015, 08:41:01 am »
Siemens make a corded base station with DECT handset, not cheap, but ok looking.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Wombat

« Reply #6 on: 17 March, 2015, 12:13:46 pm »
Might take a look at that...

There are just so many DECT phones, and a huge number of different models by Siemens, just how many different models can we possibly need?

What I want is call blocking for anything that witholds its number, on the basis that if you don't want to tell me who you are, I sure as shit don't want to talk to you! (preferably more than just call blocking, an automatically launched cruise missile sent to any such callers would suit me.)

Very little of my communication these days, is by voice.  I get 900 minutes a month on my mobile call plan, I don't think I've ever used more than about 50!
Wombat

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #7 on: 17 March, 2015, 03:40:06 pm »
I am away from home right now so I can't check details.
I have Siemens Gigaset DECT phone set which AFAIK has various caal blocking options including anonymous call reject.
I choose not to block such calls because some 'unavailable' numbers originate from hospital, local authority and other PABX switchboards.

Wombat

« Reply #8 on: 18 March, 2015, 08:26:42 am »
I think the issue of PABXs not declaring a number is disappearing fast, with most giving a generic number.  I receive quite a few calls at work, from other LAs and they generally display the public switchboard number, rather than the actual direct dial number of the caller.  Most particularly, I'd like to block all anonymous calls from outside the UK (or the previously stated desire of missile launch).  My view is that in these technically enlightened times, the only reason for not displaying a number is that you are deliberately trying to make an anonymous call, which means I don't want to speak to you.  I'll grant that a few backward companies might fall foul of that but that's their problem, not mine.

When I find time, I'll plumb the depths of Siemens website again....
Wombat

tiermat

« Reply #9 on: 18 March, 2015, 08:55:15 am »
A bit easier to navigate than Siemens' own website (though their prices are not the best, try Amazon when you find the model for you): http://www.ligo.co.uk/gigaset/

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #10 on: 18 March, 2015, 12:20:28 pm »
I bought my Siemens Gigaset from Ligo.
No problems.