Author Topic: Worthwhile wet weather cycling cap?  (Read 2142 times)

Re: Worthwhile wet weather cycling cap?
« Reply #25 on: 02 November, 2020, 11:48:34 am »
Tweed caps or the  Canvey from Old Town

See  https://www.old-town.co.uk/collections/accessories/products/canvey-cap

are what  I use when it's not the summer. 

For colder, wetter weather I rely on the Moutain Equipment cap.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #26 on: 02 November, 2020, 12:25:32 pm »
I have a Castelli "Belgian-type" cap that doesn't fly off but it's too hot for anything but deep winter.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #27 on: 02 November, 2020, 12:34:23 pm »
I have a Berghaus waterproof cap I use for wet cycling/ParkRun.  Never had a problem with it coming off...

...but that may be because I don't run/walk or cycle that fast.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #28 on: 02 November, 2020, 07:00:18 pm »
Either of you have a big head? I've got a mavic one that's too big for me that might be worth you trying, I'll see if I can dig it out (it's hovered around charity shop piles a few times but don't think it ever made itty out the door).
If no other claimants, I have a 66cm head, which is more enormous than large, and struggle to find hats. Usual large sizes don't fit. I have had various hats made 25% larger than one-size-fits-all - which doesn't of course - I'm proof of that - and so is a breach of the Trades Descriptions Act ;D

« Reply #29 on: 02 November, 2020, 07:04:55 pm »
I've always thought of summer and winter hats separately. I'm not sure which we're discussing.

In summer, I wear cotton caps. Mine, as in my previous post, are custom made on the large side, but just the cotton racing caps that cyclists wore for decades. In winter, a peaked winter cap, again a pretty traditional choice, or quite often just a beanie-style hat, often from a camping shop or similar. A peak can be helpful in rain, as I wear glasses, but I manage.

I've not worried about the hat being waterproof. I find that any hat helps. I was out like that on the Tribute Audaxes from Reading a month ago - I gather that was the wettest day since records began? That hat was the kind that's made either to go under a helmet or to wear on its own. But I might have done better to wear a peaked one that day!

« Reply #30 on: 02 November, 2020, 11:52:10 pm »
As a glasses wearer, I require as long a peak as is practical, which generally means something like this:
https://www.gorewear.com/uk/en-uk/m-gore-tex-cap-100002.html

If it's really bucketing, water running off the hat and down the neck is a problem, so I use a Barbour Sou'wester instead  (no longer available, I believe, so a search for something similar would be needed if you want to try it).

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #31 on: 03 November, 2020, 07:01:50 am »
I have a Gore one but:

1. Although it keeps the rain out, it keeps the sweat in

2. The peak isn't quite big enough.

Its main advantage over an ordinary cotton cap is that it dries faster when you get to your destination.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #32 on: 03 November, 2020, 07:03:11 am »
Either of you have a big head? I've got a mavic one that's too big for me that might be worth you trying, I'll see if I can dig it out (it's hovered around charity shop piles a few times but don't think it ever made itty out the door).
If no other claimants, I have a 66cm head, which is more enormous than large, and struggle to find hats. Usual large sizes don't fit. I have had various hats made 25% larger than one-size-fits-all - which doesn't of course - I'm proof of that - and so is a breach of the Trades Descriptions Act ;D
:o

Mine's a mere 60cm, enough to make some "one size fits all" hats too tight.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.