Author Topic: Racism in football  (Read 2922 times)

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Racism in football
« on: 14 October, 2019, 11:13:26 pm »
I thought there was a thread dealing with this topic, but I couldn't find it. Mods: please merge if it exists.

England played an away match against Bulgaria this evening. The match was stopped twice because of racist chants from the Bulgarian home crowd and, according to reports in the Graun, was in danger of being called off all together. Apparently some 500 Bulgarian supporters were ejected from the ground at half time.

England won 6 - 0 which was fitting.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Re: Racism in football
« Reply #1 on: 14 October, 2019, 11:18:38 pm »
Yes, there was at a time the possibility that the game would be called off. Who wins then?

Still, gangs in black shirts firing up Nazi salutes at a football match pale into insignificance when lined up against Fararge, Rees-Mogg and Johnson.
It is simpler than it looks.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 14 October, 2019, 11:39:32 pm »
I was surprised to hear it wasn't the England fans being racist, tbh.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #3 on: 14 October, 2019, 11:58:18 pm »

I think England fans being racist these days would be some very confused people.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4 on: 15 October, 2019, 12:10:20 am »

I think England fans being racist these days would be some very confused people.

It's confusing enough when England win 6-0.

« Reply #5 on: 15 October, 2019, 09:26:08 am »

No, they just sit there and complain about foreigners being racist while signing ditties such as "Ten German bombers" and "No surrender to the IRA". Clearly it's a different order of magnitude to the events in Bulgaria, however, it does illustrate a certain little englander attitude that seems to be becoming more prevalent.

Besides, racism in football doesn't need logic. When Romelu Lukaku complained about ultras from the opposition team making monkey noises at him, the Inter ultras (fans of his own team) wrote him a letter saying to stop making a fuss as it was perfectly normal to make monkey noises to try to put the opposition off and they would be doing it to their opposition!

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #6 on: 15 October, 2019, 11:22:27 am »
I don't know about Bulgaria specifically but there are overtly neo-Nazi networks throughout much of Eastern Europe which make the BNP or EDL look like a garden party.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #7 on: 15 October, 2019, 01:40:55 pm »
There was a lot of shouting from the moral high ground last night after the game.  (I'd like the domestic football authorities clamp down in the same way on both sides of the border, but I doubt they will)

I'd like to think this will trigger some real action by UEFA but I doubt it.   It would result in admission of a real problem and their tolerance of racism in football for years.  If UEFA are not anti-english, they certainly keep england well down the list of countries to listen to.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #8 on: 15 October, 2019, 08:03:04 pm »
Still, gangs in black shirts firing up Nazi salutes at a football match pale into insignificance when lined up against Fararge, Rees-Mogg and Johnson.
Jaded wins the prize for the most ludicrous description of Boris Johnson toyesterday.  :facepalm: And the most opportunistic insertion of anti-Boris sentiment!

Meanwhile ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #9 on: 15 October, 2019, 08:10:43 pm »
There was a lot of shouting from the moral high ground last night after the game.  (I'd like the domestic football authorities clamp down in the same way on both sides of the border, but I doubt they will)

I'd like to think this will trigger some real action by UEFA but I doubt it.   It would result in admission of a real problem and their tolerance of racism in football for years.  If UEFA are not anti-english, they certainly keep england well down the list of countries to listen to.
It was refreshing to see Ian Wright really speaking his mind about this last night. He was hugely critical of past action by the FA and UEFA. I'm not a big fan of his, but he came across well despite an obvious great deal of anger. ITV's anchor-man came across rather Alan Partridge - clearly out of his depth, poor chap!

UEFA have announced action against Bulgaria, but of course we don't yet know the severity. I am optimistic that this could be a sea-change; the match was very nearly stopped.

[They are also acting against England for some trivial infringements of odd rules! As you say, no-one seems to like us :P ]
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #10 on: 15 October, 2019, 10:40:04 pm »
Bulgaria was the result of the first wave of 'Balkanisation'.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balkanization

The raison d'etre of these ever-dividing states is to express national identity, and the purity of some historic or imagined race. We've had loads more national football teams over the last 30 years, as Yugoslavia and the USSR have shattered into pieces. We've also seen one less, as the BRD and GDR have combined into Germany. The UK is unusual in not needing to break into pieces to have national teams.

By rights we should have an EU team by now. England is essentially a sort of Commonwealth team, drawing its talents from immigrants from the former Empire. I suppose we'll have a lot of players with Eastern European surnames in a few years time.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #11 on: 15 October, 2019, 10:41:28 pm »
Jaded wins the prize for the most ludicrous description of Boris Johnson toyesterday.  :facepalm: And the most opportunistic insertion of anti-Boris sentiment!

Meanwhile ...

Racism displayed in black shirts with salutes is fairly obvious, don’t you think. There are other types of racism.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #12 on: 17 March, 2020, 06:47:14 am »
Question really...

As a Liverpool fan (and just speaking for myself), I don't like Raheem Stirling because:

a) he left Liverpool to join Man City

He has the right to ply his trade where he likes. It's nothing to do with you. Perhaps it's because
he's a black man earning shed loads of money more than you? :P

« Reply #13 on: 17 March, 2020, 08:48:07 am »
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #14 on: 17 March, 2020, 09:39:41 am »