Author Topic: A random thread for the wildlife stuff - you know the drill  (Read 133988 times)

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
Re: A random thread for the wildlife stuff - you know the drill
« Reply #50 on: 27 December, 2013, 11:10:15 pm »
Found a Vidalta in the food bowl. Don't know if it's Mojo or Pippin's. The joys of geriatric cats.  :facepalm:

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #51 on: 29 December, 2013, 11:16:11 pm »
Met a Newfoundland at the week end. That's one big dog. 11 stone. Sort of like a bear that barks.  Apparently they have webbed feet and do the breast stroke, rather than doggy paddle.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #52 on: 30 December, 2013, 11:57:57 pm »
I cut my finger quite badly last week.  It's more or less healed now, but I was left with an annoying flap of skin that kept catching on things.  I've just bitten it off.
As I psstt it out, the dog ate it.

OMG.  The dog now has a taste for human flesh.  Even worse, she has a taste for me.  :o
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #53 on: 31 December, 2013, 06:41:51 pm »
Harry followed me up the stair tonight and came in for an hour or so. He spent a long time staring at the cupboard where the mice like to shit, then sat on the sofa behind bobb for a while. Then when he realised he wasn't getting fed, he went home.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #54 on: 09 January, 2014, 11:57:30 am »
It appears that humans aren't the only species to have recreational chemical habits:

http://io9.com/watch-this-pod-of-dolphins-get-completely-stoned-on-puf-1497201966
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #55 on: 10 January, 2014, 12:27:52 am »
I am lying on my downmat in my daughter's spare bedroom. It is a bit like camping because the roof, or at least the party parapet wall does, leaks and, once that has been done, the room needs replastering. I have the window open a touch.

Every so often I hear a noise which reminds me of the noise a rabbit makes when it is being attacked by a stoat.that's improbable because I am in urban central Maidstone. I doubt that there are any rabbits and I am sure there are fewer stoats. I suppose it could be a rat having been caught by a rat, but I would expect a rat to make a much clearer squeaking noise rather than this throaty sound. I suppose it could be foxes because it is their mating season. All very interesting.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #56 on: 17 January, 2014, 06:04:09 pm »
I think Mojo needs his drugs upping. Keeping us awake half the night  :facepalm: and getting skinny again.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #57 on: 25 January, 2014, 04:01:27 pm »
I saw a raven fly over our garden being mobbed by crows. Made a change from the buzzard being mobbed. Impressive bird, the raven. Crows aren't small, but they were dwarfed by this specimen.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #58 on: 26 January, 2014, 03:51:34 pm »
I just got a text telling me that our elder sister not OTP haz puppy....

Ruth

« Reply #59 on: 27 January, 2014, 09:57:06 pm »
A flock of Canada geese flying past my 12th floor bedroom window honking like mad in the driving snow. Wow.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #60 on: 28 January, 2014, 04:07:37 pm »
A flock of Canada geese flying past my 12th floor bedroom window honking like mad in the driving snow. Wow.

I can positively guarantee that I was not flying past your 12th floor bedroom window honking like mad.  O:-)

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #61 on: 29 January, 2014, 01:00:14 pm »
Harry brought me a present this morning. I didn't actually want a dead bluetit, but he seemed very proud of himself.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #62 on: 12 March, 2014, 12:40:20 am »
Morphy occasionally likes to eat carrot peel. Sometimes he doesn't bother, and there's no real predicting what he's going to do.

While I was preparing the carrots for dinner this evening he came and stood beside me with that "Please give me carrot peel!" look in his eyes. I gave him some peel, which he accepted gratefully, and when I was transferring the carrot chunks to the saucepan I dropped one. He ate it, which is unusual: he normally only goes or the peel. I then offered him a whole carrot, certain that he would decline, but to my surprise he accepted it gratefully and then ate it, leaving just a few traces on the carpet.

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
« Reply #63 on: 13 March, 2014, 08:20:08 am »
Our collie Surya loves carrot peel, and seems to have "carrot radar" so if she is in the living room, and a carrot is taken out for peeling in the kitchen, a dog materialises in the kitchen, with ears up, and imploring look in her mismatched eyes.  She's game for either peelings, or carrot itself.
Wombat

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #64 on: 20 March, 2014, 08:39:40 am »
Apparently, teachers are no longer allowed to use the suffix "Tit" on the end of bird names, e.g. Bearded Tit, Coal Tit, Blue Tit, but must use the suffix "Reedling". This is because "Tit" is a naughty offensive word, won't someone think of the children etc...

At least that's what one teacher thought who phoned up a local nature reserve yesterday....    ::-)

« Reply #65 on: 20 March, 2014, 05:40:32 pm »
News to me. I have just got back from providing a session for a year 3 class to build bird boxes, and used 'Blue Tit' throughout without the class teacher being in the least bit worried.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #66 on: 23 March, 2014, 11:13:37 am »
Apparently, teachers are no longer allowed to use the suffix "Tit" on the end of bird names, e.g. Bearded Tit, Coal Tit, Blue Tit, but must use the suffix "Reedling". This is because "Tit" is a naughty offensive word, won't someone think of the children etc...

At least that's what one teacher thought who phoned up a local nature reserve yesterday....    ::-)

How does a maths teacher cope with a number two?

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #67 on: 24 March, 2014, 08:44:40 pm »
Works it out with a pencil?

« Reply #68 on: 26 March, 2014, 09:15:32 pm »
Mog has Hyperthyroidism and a sore tooth. Medicine started. Calling pet insurance added to the to-do list. Decision about pills forever or Iodine remains open.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #70 on: 18 May, 2014, 10:25:08 am »
I'm watching Supervet and there's a dog which needs knee surgery because of knee problems caused by walking funny because it has enormous bollocks.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #71 on: 18 May, 2014, 12:57:20 pm »
Lol!
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #72 on: 17 June, 2014, 03:28:22 pm »
Soddit. We have a wedding to go to in 3 weeks and I seem to have left it late to find someone to look after Morphy. My usual dog accommodator is fully booked.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #73 on: 30 June, 2014, 01:56:18 pm »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-south-scotland-27994010

The cocker spaniel can tell the difference between a red and a grey squirrel

The BBC picture editor can’t.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #74 on: 03 July, 2014, 07:58:33 pm »
Soddit. We have a wedding to go to in 3 weeks and I seem to have left it late to find someone to look after Morphy. My usual dog accommodator is fully booked.
For the first time in his 10 years, Morphy is going into kennels tomorrow. I feel quite guilty about this.