Author Topic: Mad Jack Fuller Feb 21st  (Read 5473 times)

Martin

Mad Jack Fuller Feb 21st
« on: 11 January, 2009, 08:34:55 pm »
It can't be a deluge for the third time in a row can it? (if it is the Squadra gets an outing that day) anyway work has juggled rides around a bit so I'll be doing this instead of the Worthing Winter Warmer

any others?

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
Re: Mad Jack Fuller Feb 21st
« Reply #1 on: 11 January, 2009, 09:19:57 pm »
Likely (ish), although I haven't checked the diary yet.

Looking at the 1066 as well.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

DaveJ

• Happy days
« Reply #2 on: 11 January, 2009, 09:46:27 pm »
I'm doing it.

I remember being very cold on this in 2006, especially hands and feet.  My feet stopped hurting after the descent from Fairlight.  Changing shoes back at Hailsham it became obvious that I couldn't feel them hurting any more, because I couldn't feel them at all.

And worst of all, Dave's tea maker broke !!!!!

Lets hope for bright and dry this time.

Dave

« Reply #3 on: 11 January, 2009, 11:19:21 pm »
I've been toying with having a bash at this, but I'm not at all convinced I'm fit enough.  :-\

« Reply #4 on: 12 January, 2009, 07:44:01 pm »
I think most would agree that it's the most difficult GDS ride. Either cold, wet or cold and wet, some challenging climbs and equallly challenging dsecents...must send off my entry.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #5 on: 07 February, 2009, 08:34:09 pm »
Memo to self: Clean bike of accumulated SKOG, especially around the front mech. This will make the engaging of the granny ring a more certain thing. After all, it may come in useful for when the road goes from "gently undulating" to "scenic".

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #6 on: 08 February, 2009, 11:23:23 am »
I remember being very cold on this in 2006, especially hands and feet.  My feet stopped hurting after the descent from Fairlight.  Changing shoes back at Hailsham it became obvious that I couldn't feel them hurting any more, because I couldn't feel them at all.

And worst of all, Dave's tea maker broke !!!!!

Oh yes, remember it very well. The thought of a cup of tea at the top was the only thing that kept me going on the climb up to Fairlight, so you can imagine how I felt when I got there to find the boiler had broken down. Tchah! Then the descent was even worse than the climb, due to the wind chill on soggy gloves and knees.

And despite that, I'm considering having another bash at it this year... but only if conditions look like being good enough for the very-light-but-no-mudguards bike (I'm in no shape for lugging a heavy touring bike up hills). Likewise for the Invicta Grimpeur.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #7 on: 08 February, 2009, 11:33:48 am »
I rode the first running of this event. The then organiser claimed to have been round the course the previous evening with a broom to sweep gravel off the corners.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #8 on: 13 February, 2009, 11:33:18 am »
I rode the first running of this event. The then organiser claimed to have been round the course the previous evening with a broom to sweep gravel off the corners.
The year I rode the farmers had been round the course the previous day trimming all the hedges...

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #9 on: 17 February, 2009, 11:45:14 pm »
Roll call please;

Grump*click*Grump*click*Grump*wheeze... :)
I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.

« Reply #10 on: 18 February, 2009, 09:41:49 am »
I'll be there.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #11 on: 18 February, 2009, 06:01:24 pm »
I won't. Bum.

Mrs. Hall has announced she's digging up half the front garden (hired a mini digger to do it) to make a car parking space. I told her I was going cycling, so she could get on with it.  While she said that was fine, the look she gave told me otherwise.

Bez

• Carpe Cerevisi.
« Reply #12 on: 18 February, 2009, 07:45:24 pm »
But you do get to play with a digger  :)

« Reply #13 on: 18 February, 2009, 08:06:19 pm »
......and you'll probably end up less muddy than us.

DaveJ

• Happy days
« Reply #14 on: 20 February, 2009, 05:02:21 pm »
Anyone got a .gpx file of the route?

Dave

« Reply #15 on: 21 February, 2009, 06:28:23 pm »
Mad Jacks and decent weather do not usually go hand in hand but today was the exception. The lanes were still as challenging as ever but it made a pleasant change riding back to Hailsham zippers undone and gloves off rather than soaking wet and numb with cold.  I was tempted at the finish to go round for another lap..then again maybe not.

Plenty of the usuals out but rode back to Hailsham in the company of a couple of Lewes Wanderers who seemed happy that we knew the route
( we had routesheets-they didn't).

Otford next and if the early summer continues I'll consider getting the shorts out.   

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #16 on: 21 February, 2009, 10:33:52 pm »
Most imaginative choice of gear and clothing award goes to Iddu (nice to meet you  :)) also nice to see Rob and Mini Rob at Fairlight. Other yacfs seen Phixie DaveJ Lurkio and PatC (on a mission, didn't see him after the 21k feedstop)

If I'd known Tim was taking pictures I'd have dressed up ;)  Even more retching on the KVR next week ;D

'twas Indeed an excellent day out, but suspect nobody else was on t'cog, grumping their way around - managed most of it, bar short section of Whillingford (couldn't Zag for a passing car), Doleman (the bridge rise just kills yer impetus) & top o'Fairlight

East Grinsted massive (sic), causing local gravitational effects...

Grumping Penhurst Lane

PASSPORTS! Sign here, here, here here & here...

NOM NOM NOM

Grumping Willingford Lane

Umm. Is that it? I'm grumping for a pile o'rock? Where's my movtavation? Where's my muse?

Trainee Grumpees on Fairlight; superglue in the mechs next year  ;D

Don't know if we're coming or going...

OH YES!

{swish swish swish}Z{swish swish swish}
"for I am 'The Shadow', and shall leave the sign of Zefal on your saddle...mock me at your peril"

Phixie

• No gears and all the ideas
« Reply #17 on: 22 February, 2009, 10:32:20 am »
Most imaginative choice of gear and clothing award goes to Iddu (nice to meet you  :)) also nice to see Rob and Mini Rob at Fairlight. Other yacfs seen Phixie DaveJ Lurkio and PatC (on a mission, didn't see him after the 21k feedstop)

If I'd known Tim was taking pictures I'd have dressed up ;)  Even more retching on the KVR next week ;D

'twas Indeed an excellent day out, but suspect nobody else was on t'cog, grumping their way around - managed most of it, bar short section of Whillingford (couldn't Zag for a passing car), Doleman (the bridge rise just kills yer impetus) & top o'Fairlight

Not quite.  Brian Mann of CC Sudbury was also on two feet t'cog.  That sort of behaviour may get this event a bad name  ;D

Agreed it was a great day out - many thanks to Mark, El and team for all the tlc and for arranging the best weather so far this year, though there was still lots of skog in the lanes after recent wetness, though nowhere near as bad as the KVR route.  Roll on the dry season!
At the end of the day, when all's said and done, there's usually a lot more said than done.

pendio

« Reply #18 on: 22 February, 2009, 06:13:48 pm »
Great day out.  Many thanks Mark, El Supremo and everyone else who gave up their time to help.   Nice pics, iddu.

Tom

« Reply #19 on: 22 February, 2009, 08:01:48 pm »
What a beautiful day - one of the finest I've ever spent on a bike.  I had the added bonus of expecting the Fairlight climb to be the main road up from Petts Levels, so when we popped out near the top, it was a very pleasant relief.

A massive thanks to Mark and all his helpers.

Martin

« Reply #20 on: 06 March, 2009, 01:00:30 am »
If you're going,
to Fairlight Beacon
Be sure to wear
Some flowers on your bike
(the inimitable Iddu)

The Hill of the Mountain Feast "Where table strain'd 'neath loaded platter" (PatC R foreground) with apologies to Hawkwind

DaveJ having a great time

Therein lies Mad Jack - in the pyramid (or rather sits, in dinner dress with a glass of wine at his table so they say)

Passing Deliverance Farm; Recidivists all of 'em

Guest appearance from Death (in the background) on Doleham Hill

(photos thanks to Paul Harris)

« Reply #21 on: 06 March, 2009, 08:57:05 am »

Martin - Brilliant!

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #22 on: 06 March, 2009, 11:50:47 pm »
(the inimitable Iddu)

JHC! Refugee from a Nancy Eckels reject ;)

« Reply #23 on: 29 September, 2010, 11:26:11 pm »
Greetings,

Just been reading all these postings, thanks for the comments.
Not sure if this will be read / placed back on the current listings?

Hills and Mill on 15/1/11, Mad Jacks on the19/2/11.

Thanks for your entries already- AJB I think.

As mentioned, Sorry I cant offer these as a perm events as I don't have the time.

Yes, I did sweep the roads many moons ago before the event, that nearly killed me. :

MJ  ;D

Mad Jacks JSM/  Hills and Mills to be continued in 2021

« Reply #24 on: 30 September, 2010, 10:02:32 am »
... you have my permission to birch me...

I suppose you're consenting adults...