Author Topic: Mad Jack's (JSM) (21st) 125 km Saturday 22nd February 2020 @ 09.00  (Read 25104 times)

Re: Mad Jack's (JSM) 125 km Saturday 21st February 09.00
« Reply #75 on: 20 February, 2015, 08:55:26 pm »
I thiink it's tarmacced most, if not all, of the way but north of Hailsham the mud from the edges encroaches over most of the tarmac.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

« Reply #76 on: 21 February, 2015, 07:01:04 am »
HQ has boiled 7 large flasks + 2 small un's +2 large kettles, it's like a sauna in here  :D
What's it doing outside, well according the the temp sensor it's + 0.7 C and now cloudy @ 06.59.
loading up and rolling along some of the 1st section shortly.
See you @ the start 08.00.... out  :thumbsup:
Mad Jacks JSM/  Hills and Mills to be continued in 2021

Martin

« Reply #77 on: 21 February, 2015, 09:10:04 am »
another disppointment   :(

set off at 0700 2 accidents on the M25 and A22 closed after East Grinstead. Abandoned 0842 with 20 miles still to drive as it was made it quite clear the organiser would not wait at the start. Also had no idea what the weather was like at the start, it's deep snow here now.

remind me never to do an event where the org does not provide contact details on the day...

« Reply #78 on: 21 February, 2015, 09:26:37 am »
It's snowing a bit here down in Eastbourne - I hope you're all wrapped up warm. Take it easy on the descents.

See you all at the finish.

Martin

« Reply #79 on: 21 February, 2015, 11:14:00 am »
 typical bright and sunny here now  off to Ashdown Forest for 0.75 fewer AAA  8)

Lurcio

• Lurcio
« Reply #80 on: 21 February, 2015, 11:31:42 am »
typical bright and sunny here now  off to Ashdown Forest for 0.75 fewer AAA  8)
Now I know why you have gone AWOL. It is bright and sunny down here and the soup and company are wonderful.  Best wishes from Hawklord.
Put my medals on the table....you must be jokimg!

« Reply #81 on: 21 February, 2015, 06:42:39 pm »
I too had to abandon on the drive, many apologies to the organisers.  Left Reigate in plenty of time but hit a snow storm at Copthorne/East Grinstead.  Traffic so slow that approx 20 mph was the max and i just ran out of time so headed back home.  Couple of hours later and there was no sign of any snow ::-)

« Reply #82 on: 21 February, 2015, 07:02:28 pm »
Just back from helping at the finish. I thought everyone looked remarkably fresh this time round. Well done all.

« Reply #83 on: 21 February, 2015, 08:16:38 pm »
Just back from helping at the finish. I thought everyone looked remarkably fresh this time round. Well done all.
Ahhh, now I can put another name to a face :thumbsup:
DJR (Dave Russell) now retired. Carbon Beone parts bin special retired to turbo trainer, Brompton broken, as was I, Whyte Suffolk dismantled and sold. Now have Mason Definition and Orbea M20i.

Lurcio

• Lurcio
« Reply #84 on: 21 February, 2015, 08:30:45 pm »
Well 47 plucky riders reached Battle and indeed  fortune really did favour the brave, because Mad Jack presented all riders who completed with a special limited edition water bottle.
Mad Jack you have set the bar really high for organisers.
Next up is in the GdS series is 'The Hell of the Coastal Hills" on Sunday April 12th*

http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/15-184/

A flatter alternative is also available.

*Commemorative water bottles will be awarded on this ride**

** This is a fib.

« Reply #85 on: 21 February, 2015, 08:32:39 pm »
Thanks for organising this Mad Jack :thumbsup:

It sounds like I made the right decision by leaving home at just after 05:30 to get to the start at about 08:00hrs....there was a lot of snow settling on the M25 at Reigate, but it turned to rain along the A22.

The ride was...challenging!  I'm sure those of us that started it were thinking 'is this really a good idea :-\?, but once I'd got up to my 'keeping warm' pace, I was hammering up and down the hills with a sadistic grin on my face....bacon butty & tea on the 1st visit to the cafe, a quick charge around the Burwash loop, then off to Fairlight....that was one helluvahill up to the main road turning just before Fairlight - I've never lifted the front wheel on my Audax bike, but did going up that today ;D

I went past the 2nd & 3rd riders near Three Oaks as they were heading for Fairlight & I was heading back to Battle & then saw a few other riders at Battle who were fuelling up for the Fairlight loop.

I got back to Hailsham just before 15:00hrs, absolutely knackered & on a much lighter bike than when I started....the brake blocks & most of the braking surface on the rims were leaving a trail of brine along the road behind me I think :facepalm:

Still, home now & have recovered....a superb day out, actually & worth the journey to do it :thumbsup:

Cheers!

Peter.
DJR (Dave Russell) now retired. Carbon Beone parts bin special retired to turbo trainer, Brompton broken, as was I, Whyte Suffolk dismantled and sold. Now have Mason Definition and Orbea M20i.

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #86 on: 21 February, 2015, 09:03:27 pm »
That was reassuringly hilly. :thumbsup:

Cheers Mad Jack and family, Lurcio and Ashaman42, an excellent day out.

Martin

« Reply #87 on: 21 February, 2015, 09:10:52 pm »
That was reassuringly hilly. :thumbsup:

looking forward to seeing the ECE profile  :o

amazed that 47 made it to the start & round it looked lockdown snow here, obv very localised

« Reply #88 on: 21 February, 2015, 10:59:19 pm »
A massive thank you to all my helpers, Lurcio in Battle control X3 , AJB start + Burwash control, Mum cards and start, Daughter artwork and cards. Ashaman 42 for the finish control. Sponsors Phoenix Cycles in Eastbourne for the bottles. Skarletts Cafe Battle, Burwash BP garage and finally YACF.  :thumbsup:

Stats- 90 entered, 53 started, 13 dnf, 40 finished plus 1 helper = 41 submitted for validation.

A very well done to all that started and thank you to everyone that supported this event.
Congratulations to all 40 successful riders for today's efforts, this must be the most testing Mad Jacks JSM event in the last 16.

Well done to all those that came from far afield (Oxford, big smoke etc) and left early to avoid the snarl ups on the M25/ M23 with the odd flurry of the white stuff, strike early etc is always a good plan.

Good to meet the AUK big brass and I hope all is in order Sir  O:-), PAC well done Sir, Aunt Maud a great result with your great effort in today's conditions and not forgetting my regulars too, thanks chaps.  :thumbsup: Thanks to my route testing companion too :-*   

Well done to Lewes Wanderers CC who had the most finishers X4. Eastbourne Rovers x2,. Hastings and SLOS X2. 

Also- well done to the father and son team that finished in respectable time and for the other new boy that dragged my Spanish tour leader (Chris) around all day  ;D 

Photos to follow

I thank you

Andy

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #89 on: 21 February, 2015, 11:53:10 pm »
[clanging bell] Unfit! Unfit! [/clanging bell]

I don't remember it being so hard last time - perhaps some gears are in order for HotSCH ;)
I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.

Lurcio

• Lurcio
« Reply #90 on: 22 February, 2015, 01:07:40 pm »
[clanging bell] Unfit! Unfit! [/clanging bell]

I don't remember it being so hard last time - perhaps some gears are in order for HotSCH ;)

I only recall one other rider attempting MJ on fixed. Chapeau.

« Reply #91 on: 22 February, 2015, 01:11:11 pm »
Woke up with dodgy guts from the night before and it was pouring with rain in West London, thought seriously about not doing the ride but needed an AAA this month for a Round the Year. Then on the Southern Section of the M25 the traffic was crawling at less than 30mph as the snow settled on the motorway. I touched the brakes gently and the car just slithered on the snow/black ice. There were a couple of accidents where people had skidded too. I nearly gave up at that point but thought it might be better further South and carried on down the M23. It finally seemed to get better as I got near Brighton and switched to the A27.

It actually turned out to be decent weather soon after the start, mainly sunny, although one short hailstorm in the afternoon. It would have been a great ride but my guts were bad all day and my gears were playing up too, so I was riding on the small ring with no energy to spin! At the third stop at Battle the controller was trying to persuade me to have some food in the café, I didn't really like to explain that it would be a waste of time with my guts. Anyway, I got around, which was the object of the exercise.

It's a shame some people missed it, and hats off to the guy from Horley who scraped snow off his car in the morning, brave decision.

Well done to the organisers, my third one with you guys and they've all been good.

« Reply #92 on: 22 February, 2015, 09:51:32 pm »

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #93 on: 22 February, 2015, 10:22:29 pm »
Just tried it and I get the same as Ruthie
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #94 on: 22 February, 2015, 10:35:21 pm »
Just tried it and I get the same as Ruthie

Me too, also, as well.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #95 on: 22 February, 2015, 10:36:26 pm »
hats off to the guy from Horley who scraped snow off his car in the morning, brave decision.

That was me.  I was regretting it on the first leg out to Hailsham. Cold fingers, cold toes, crap roads. Then I noticed it had stopped raining and the roads were trying to dry out, so life got better. It's still a Very Hilly Ride though, and my bike is filthy. And my mid week fettling didn't entirely fix my front mech.

Bumped (fortunately not literally) into a lad from San Fairy Ann who'd had an altercation with (parked) car. We rode the few miles back to Hailsham. I hope he's OK.

Having the control full of a children's tea party was, umm, different. Excellent cakes thobut.

Top day. Thank very much Andy and your merry band.  And I got a spiffy new water bottle. It's all good.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #96 on: 22 February, 2015, 10:42:31 pm »
In the meantime, whilst we're all waiting for the slideshow. I spotted some Primroses on the way round.

Anyone else see any other harbingers of springtime ?

Oooh! I also saw someone on Shanks's Pony too :D

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #97 on: 22 February, 2015, 10:51:06 pm »
In the meantime, whilst we're all waiting for the slideshow. I spotted some Primroses on the way round.

Anyone else see any other harbingers of springtime ?

Oooh! I also saw someone doing Shanks's Pony too :D

Not necessarily spring things, but in my Eye Spy Book of Mad Jack's 125km I saw:

Soggy primroses, buzzard over Batemans, heron, kestrel, green woodpecker, lady with black and red hair, child with a rainbow on her forehead, barn with a new roof (last year, which was just after a wind so mighty as to lay low the mountains of the earth, the barn's roof was lying in the field next to it). And mud. lots of mud.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #98 on: 22 February, 2015, 11:11:43 pm »
It's working yippee  ;D ;D ;D   

"Sorry. This person has moved or deleted this image"

« Reply #99 on: 22 February, 2015, 11:35:51 pm »

Bumped (fortunately not literally) into a lad from San Fairy Ann who'd had an altercation with (parked) car. We rode the few miles back to Hailsham. I hope he's OK.

Having the control full of a children's tea party was, umm, different. Excellent cakes thobut.

Top day. Thank very much Andy and your merry band.  And I got a spiffy new water bottle. It's all good.

Thanks Tim,

The SFA rider finished OK after he recomposed himself, (not weather related) thanks Lurcio  O:-)
Cafe agreed back in May but unfortunately must have forgotten of our visit  ::-) think they made
up for it with the lovely soup and tea  :thumbsup:

Think the original spoiler link is now working..  ;D

Donation made to the TG's OYTT, keep the pedals turning Steve  O:-) :thumbsup: