Author Topic: Bryan Chapman Memorial 2020  (Read 134557 times)

Re: Bryan Chapman Memorial 2020
« Reply #725 on: 28 March, 2021, 03:19:46 pm »
Hotels and B&B in England are set to open at the earliest on May 17th. However Wales has no road map, so all bets are off.

« Reply #726 on: 28 March, 2021, 08:18:36 pm »
Hi Andrew, I had confirmation from Ritchie this week that it has been cancelled. An email will be sent out soon. He has already booked next year's event in the calendar.

Thanks elrogerio... gutted.

« Reply #727 on: 29 March, 2021, 09:37:04 am »
Hi Andrew, I had confirmation from Ritchie this week that it has been cancelled. An email will be sent out soon. He has already booked next year's event in the calendar.

Or a lucky escape!

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #728 on: 29 March, 2021, 09:39:26 am »
I guess it could always be ridden as a DIY perm later in the year....
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #729 on: 29 March, 2021, 10:43:09 am »
Apparently a new shared use path (Wye Valley Greenway) will be connecting Chepstow and Tintern via the Tidenham Tunnel from April but I have not found any useful information on it.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #730 on: 29 March, 2021, 11:17:54 am »
Does the BCM go via Tintern these days? Last time I rode it (2017, I think) the last section retraced the outward route from Bronllys, which was a bit dull.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

« Reply #731 on: 29 March, 2021, 11:30:36 am »
Apparently a new shared use path (Wye Valley Greenway) will be connecting Chepstow and Tintern via the Tidenham Tunnel from April but I have not found any useful information on it.

It was the late Nik Peregrine & Jennifer Goslin's initial work that got the ball rolling many years ago.
The Facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/AtoBconnectingcommunities

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #732 on: 29 March, 2021, 11:37:40 am »
I have ridden a few BCMs and it is prettier going past Tintern, though the hills are a bit of a drag with tired legs.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #733 on: 29 March, 2021, 11:39:49 am »

Or a lucky escape!

Haha maybe...

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
« Reply #734 on: 29 March, 2021, 06:01:31 pm »
I have ridden a few BCMs and it is prettier going past Tintern, though the hills are a bit of a drag with tired legs.

The old bridge and the abbey are quite magical and an appropriate way to finish a Welsh adventure IMO! By then I had survived the dog, been in "old diesel mode" for at least 6 hours so a little bit less or more of slowly turning the cranks didn't matter that much!
Chief cat entertainer.

« Reply #735 on: 01 April, 2021, 08:18:11 pm »
Email from Ritchie confirming cancellation received this afternoon.

« Reply #736 on: 01 April, 2021, 08:46:27 pm »
Why not just go ahead and ride the perm .... entering Wales is permissible from the 12th of April, and 600s hopefully return from May 17th ... what are you all waiting for ?

There are more 'views' to be had on the perm too ... and you all know what that equates to.

I believe (for what I've read elsewhere) that the A479 over Pengenffordd is still closed to cars (but sort of open to pedestrians?) - so still traffic-free. Google maps still routes you over it if you're driving, but Traffic Wales has it closed until October. 

« Reply #737 on: 02 April, 2021, 04:57:52 pm »
Why not just go ahead and ride the perm .... entering Wales is permissible from the 12th of April, and 600s hopefully return from May 17th ... what are you all waiting for ?
There are more 'views' to be had on the perm too ... and you all know what that equates to.
I believe (for what I've read elsewhere) that the A479 over Pengenffordd is still closed to cars (but sort of open to pedestrians?) - so still traffic-free. Google maps still routes you over it if you're driving, but Traffic Wales has it closed until October.
Here's the Permanent route: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/32249809?beta=false Obviously other route variations are available (eg Hay to Monmouth) but this is my best effort, and the route I'd take. As a Permanent (BR) with you'd get 42+ hours for the distance.
"Chepstow depart/arrivee: Usk, Rhayader, Borth, Barmouth, Caernarfon, Menai Bridge, Llanberis, Betws-y-coed, Dolgellau, Newtown, Llandrindod Wells, Hay-on-Wye, Monmouth. The route can be ridden either direction."
Going via Llangorse is 3km longer than the 'closed' A479 (landslip).
Edit: This is a route based on @Blacksheep's perm.

Davef

Bryan Chapman Memorial 2020
« Reply #738 on: 02 April, 2021, 05:18:59 pm »
That is quite a different route to the calendar event when I did it 2019. I believe in went via Llanidloes and via Dolgellau on the way up and down. That looks a nice route though. I love the coast road round from Machynlleth to Dolgellau.

Edit: ok I. Int have misunderstood. I had assumed permanents were the same route as calendar events. I am a relative newbie.

« Reply #739 on: 02 April, 2021, 05:23:43 pm »
The route has changed a few times over the years.

It used to turn left at Llangurig and take the A44 towards Aberystwyth before cutting up through Bow Street to Mach. After that it was pretty much the same as now except for the return after Newtown.

Even then the perm was slightly different, but I can't remember how, even though I've ridden it (I think). They all mush together in my memory.

« Reply #740 on: 02 April, 2021, 05:33:27 pm »
That is quite a different route to the calendar event when I did it 2019. I believe in went via Llanidloes and via Dolgellau on the way up and down. That looks a nice route though. I love the coast road round from Machynlleth to Dolgellau.

Edit: ok I. Int have misunderstood. I had assumed permanents were the same route as calendar events. I am a relative newbie.

Perms need to take account of commercial premises and their opening times for control receipts.  Calendar you can be more flexible about control locations if you have volunteers to man them or you’ll know riders will pass a commercial premises during certain hours.  Plus as above, routes change over the years but perm may stay as original due to constraints when nothing is manned.

So Kings great on a calendar event. Can you get a receipt at Kings any other time?  Nope. So where are the nearest commercial places with reasonable opening hours etc?

« Reply #741 on: 02 April, 2021, 07:34:54 pm »
Here's the Permanent route: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/32249809?beta=false Obviously other route variations are available (eg Hay to Monmouth) but this is my best effort, and the route I'd take. As a Permanent (BR) with you'd get 42+ hours for the distance.
"Chepstow depart/arrivee: Usk, Rhayader, Borth, Barmouth, Caernarfon, Menai Bridge, Llanberis, Betws-y-coed, Dolgellau, Newtown, Llandrindod Wells, Hay-on-Wye, Monmouth. The route can be ridden either direction."
Going via Llangorse is 3km longer than the 'closed' A479 (landslip).

Thanks Ajax Bay..... Good idea GPS

« Reply #742 on: 02 April, 2021, 09:45:59 pm »

Perms need to take account of commercial premises and their opening times for control receipts.  Calendar you can be more flexible about control locations if you have volunteers to man them or you’ll know riders will pass a commercial premises during certain hours.  Plus as above, routes change over the years but perm may stay as original due to constraints when nothing is manned.

So Kings great on a calendar event. Can you get a receipt at Kings any other time?  Nope. So where are the nearest commercial places with reasonable opening hours etc?

Dolgellau has a few cash machines?

« Reply #743 on: 03 April, 2021, 02:02:42 pm »

At Pengenffordd there is a small lane on the right which takes you straight down to Talgarth.  V narrow, beware of tractors & local traffic.

« Reply #744 on: 03 April, 2021, 02:55:31 pm »
At Pengenffordd there is a small lane on the right which takes you straight down to Talgarth.  V narrow, beware of tractors & local traffic.
That is my preferred route up the hill on the final stretch of the calendar event (where the return route boringly (imo) just retraces the pedal strokes of the route north the morning before). And with the current A road closed, there will be a fair few local cars/drivers using that high-hedged lane. It is very narrow, Ian, too narrow to ride past a car coming the other way.

« Reply #745 on: 06 April, 2021, 06:50:42 pm »
If you're thinking of a permanent, you need to know that Cafes etc in Wales open on 26 April but for outside service only. I don't think you can eat indoors as regulations are at present. Due for review on 22 April. Places to stay have to be self catering. It is a little sparse at the moment. indoors opening is sometime in May and hotels, B&B and other accommodation have to be ensuite to open now and otherwise after 17 May.
Think AUK is declining to validate events over 300k till after 21 June
Take sandwiches...

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #746 on: 08 April, 2021, 09:21:26 pm »
If you're thinking of a permanent, you need to know that Cafes etc in Wales open on 26 April but for outside service only. I don't think you can eat indoors as regulations are at present. Due for review on 22 April. Places to stay have to be self catering. It is a little sparse at the moment. indoors opening is sometime in May and hotels, B&B and other accommodation have to be ensuite to open now and otherwise after 17 May.
Think AUK is declining to validate events over 300k till after 21 June
Take sandwiches...
If Ive read the new AUK guidelines page, 17th May is also when perms upto 600k that go in/out o Wales can be validated.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Re: Bryan Chapman Memorial 2022
« Reply #747 on: 24 August, 2021, 09:58:07 am »
Hi everyone

BCM600 2022: We hope to run it.

If we are able to do so, the booked date is 14 – 15 May.

We aren’t opening the entry till the New Year this time around. This is due to:

•   Uncertainty remaining over the requirements imposed by Covid 19;
•   Permitted capacity of controls - we may not be able to accept the usual number of entrants.

There is a huge amount of work involved in this event and we don’t want to sink lots of time into it  to have the rug pulled from under us again. 

Thank you for your patience.

« Reply #748 on: 01 October, 2021, 07:19:51 pm »
The organiser wishes it to be known that bookings for the Bryan Chapman in 2022 will NOT open until early 2022.

This is because of the continuing uncertainty regarding Covid.

For some reason, the event has been showing on the AUK website as "open" for a few days.

We do not know how this happened... we have not completed the paperwork and risk assessment etc yet. We do not know what restrictions will be relevant for next May.

It now shows as closed. It will remain that way until the New Year. We will not be processing entries received before the New Year.

« Reply #749 on: 07 October, 2021, 10:46:22 am »
Thanks for the update.

Could I just check whether any entries that have already been sent will be kept and processed in the new year, or if new ones will need to be sent once entries open again, please?