Author Topic: How to live without a fridge, or a stove...  (Read 11335 times)

gonzo

Re: How to live without a fridge, or a stove...
« Reply #50 on: 25 May, 2008, 10:33:11 pm »
What do you have? You can poach things in a dishwasher!

My favourite from work last year was supermarket own brand tortellinni (sp). Poke hole in top of packet, fill with hot water, prod for a while then when you get bored, eat it. Top stuff and a filling meal!

Going back to cooking kit...could you not use a gas stove? What's your chance of starting open fires to cook on?

goatpebble

« Reply #51 on: 26 May, 2008, 10:54:55 pm »
What do you have? You can poach things in a dishwasher!

My favourite from work last year was supermarket own brand tortellinni (sp). Poke hole in top of packet, fill with hot water, prod for a while then when you get bored, eat it. Top stuff and a filling meal!

Going back to cooking kit...could you not use a gas stove? What's your chance of starting open fires to cook on?

In Italy the local hardwear store had a nice sturdy gas burner, with a heavy steel frame. It was stupidly cheap, and came with an optional cast iron grill pan. The burner was big, just a single thing for the sort of big pans that could cope with a whole family meal. These portable gas stoves are very popular, as an outside Summer kitchen is normal if you don't live in an apartment.

I should have brought one back with me!

Gonzo, by the way, the hill below the house I was working on was the early morning training route for the Lampre boys...

« Reply #52 on: 27 May, 2008, 08:46:30 am »
You can cook pasta in a kettle (I did this in my first year at Uni).  It's easier if the kettle doesn't have an external element, as this avoids it getting stuck under the element (fish out with a fork, but unplug it first!). 

Make a solar oven?  And/or use a camping stove?

gonzo

« Reply #53 on: 27 May, 2008, 08:50:58 am »
Gonzo, by the way, the hill below the house I was working on was the early morning training route for the Lampre boys...

Cool! But I'm not in the market for a house atm ;)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #54 on: 27 May, 2008, 08:52:49 am »
If you have yeast, a grater - though a grinder would be better - and something in which to boil rice, then you could make appam.
http://www.spiderkerala.com/kerala/recipes/ViewRecipe.aspx?RecipeId=257

Edit on further thought: coconut flesh keeps for a surprisingly long time so is not a problem, but if you have no grating device you could use dessicated coconut and even mash the rice with a fork, like potatoes, though the texture would suffer.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #55 on: 27 May, 2008, 02:54:26 pm »
Try the Ful medames if you're after a salad.  The wiki article doesn't make it look very appetising, but my local cafĂ© does this: mashed fava beans, sliced boiled egg, sliced tomato, olives, humus, oil, and pita bread to mop it up.  The whole thing is sprinkled with parsley. 

The egg can be done with a kettle and pot cosy, the fava beans come out of a tin, and everything else is fresh. 

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #56 on: 27 May, 2008, 11:36:45 pm »
I've just made and consumed a huge stash of couscous, mixed with chopped cucumber, diced yellow / orange pepper, raisins and pistachios.  Lovely.  :D

I'm also fond of rice noodles mixed in with cucumber, spring onion and beansprouts.

goatpebble

« Reply #57 on: 29 May, 2008, 09:07:29 pm »
I have something I really want to try, if I can trust my butcher.

It's kibbeh.

Imacculately prepared (i.e de-fatted, de-sinewed, and very fresh) minced lamb, fine burghul, minced onion, spices, pine nuts, and big handfuls of fresh herbs, shaped into small egg shapes, or flattened into a slim disc, and cut into elegant little diamonds, and drizzled with olive oil.

I have a small can of very green oil from my friend's trees (it' very nice) so I am getting quite excited!

goatpebble

« Reply #58 on: 19 June, 2008, 09:09:50 pm »
I can cook again!

A friendly neighbour has loaned me a Remoska, the strange Czech device mentioned earlier.

I was not sure about it, and to be honest, I accepted the offer out of politeness, as saying no too often just seemed ungrateful.

Remoskas look slightly clunky and old fashioned. It's a non stick pan with a thick lid, and the whole thing sits in a simple steel frame. Imagine a non stick cake tin, with a thick lid that contains a heating element. The heat comes from above, but it's not an open element, like a grill.

Taking a scientific approach, I decided to choose a sort of neutral foodstuff, just to observe how it worked. There was no plan to create something special, just a sample of something that showed me exactly how the pan could possible do all the things that a rather evangelical set of converts promise.

I sliced four potatoes penny thin, and having tossed them in a little oil, I layered them in the pan, as for a gratin. I plugged it in, and after 45 minutes, I checked the results. I was concerned that I might find a rather crispy top, the potato wet and undercooked below.

Surprisingly, both top and bottom were evenly gold and crusty.

I will experiment further.

« Reply #59 on: 19 June, 2008, 09:48:21 pm »
Remoska recipes - Lakeland, the home of creative kitchenware

They are opening a Lakeland in Liverpool  :).  Very good for resealable plastic bags, leakproof containers & other touring cookery essentials. 
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #60 on: 23 June, 2008, 04:56:05 am »
The Remoska sounds like what we call in Poland "prodiz" (pronounced "prodizh"). The heating element is in the lid, and it seals a bit like a pressure cooker (though it's not pressurised). It's very good for cooking everything from cake to chicken. It's also more economical than an (electric) oven. You should be able to make some good things with it.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.