Author Topic: Food I Intended to Eat, BUT... (not for squeamish)  (Read 2024 times)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Food I Intended to Eat, BUT... (not for squeamish)
« on: 20 June, 2008, 02:07:29 pm »
Wednesday's Midnight Feast did not happen...

After Tuesday's delivery from Sainsbury's, we were doing nothing early on Wednesday. David offered me food and I said I fancied a crumpet.

Tiny fungal colonies infested most of the crumpets. They were past their 'Use By' date, despite only having been delivered the previous afternoon.

The mouldy crumpets were dumped.

David fancied a nectarine; the fruit was not quite ripe, having spent little more than 24 hours in the fruit bowl. He cut open the drupe and the stone split in two, revealing a mouldy nut and a large SPIDER. David was upset but ate some of the fruit's flesh.
The spider then started moving.
David SCREAMED, ran out of the house and screamed again. I offered to get rid of the fruit and clean the plate.

We never ate any more.

David's getting nightmares about spiders.

I've complained about the crumpets but won't complain about the fruit.

Which food did you never eat?

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Food I Intended to Eat, BUT... (not for squeamish)
« Reply #1 on: 20 June, 2008, 02:09:17 pm »
There's been a fairly unpleasant smell coming from the bin this morning. Whatever was in there has now been evicted, but I think it was already dead.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Chris S

« Reply #2 on: 20 June, 2008, 02:17:44 pm »
I was recently in the garage, sorting through a pannier not used for about three years. It contained a decidedly nasty looking melted, reformed, frozen, thawed Mars Bar  :sick:. It had become one with its wrapper.

They are both in the bin Mars Heaven now.

« Reply #3 on: 20 June, 2008, 02:29:37 pm »
I'm slightly worried that my VW camper, which has been in a garage for about two months getting a new engine, might have stuff in the fridge...

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #4 on: 20 June, 2008, 02:34:39 pm »
When we moved house all our stuff had to go into storage for a month, I forgot that Mrs T had left some cooked chicken in the fridge for my lunch on moving day.....

Barf does not cover it when we opened the fridge a month later.....
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

fiendish

• Yummy!
« Reply #5 on: 20 June, 2008, 09:48:53 pm »
A few years ago we went on holiday to the states.  Freezer packed up while we were away, it was full of fish  :sick:  Had to clean it all up whilst very jet lagged.

« Reply #6 on: 22 June, 2008, 11:04:25 am »
Some of my friends are living in a seven-person house with three fridges.  At a party there the other day, someone went to get a drink and shortly afterwards there was a cry of disgust followed by vomiting sounds.  As it was a bit early in the evening for that sort of thing, I went to investigate. 

Turns out that the previous tenants (who moved out this time last year) had left a fridge full of food.  My friends, upon making the grim discovery themselves last September, decided that since the fridge was unusable anyway they'd not bother to empty it, and have simply left it there. 

:sick: :sick: :sick:

Pete

« Reply #7 on: 23 June, 2008, 02:36:41 pm »
Right.

Don't get me wrong here.  I LOVE sprouts, properly-cooked.  And always have done.  Can't get enough of 'em, in season...

Me as a small boy, 1950s-ish.  Sprouts on the dinner-table.  Maybe, in those days, they were less doused in pesticides than their present-day counterparts (organics aside); maybe not.  Anyway, I cut into one (luckily), to disclose a large fat (dead) maggot.  I back away, howling, and flatly refuse to touch another thing on my plate.  My father (a stern disciplinarian) rebukes me, saying why can't I eat the rest of the food on my plate, around the offending vegetable.  I obstinately refuse.

I think at this point I throw a screaming tantrum.  My father probably clouts me (he was the sort of parent who would have done that).  But I win the day.  I get no pudding, but I don't get forced to eat anymore off the plate either.  Sort of victory.

Pete

« Reply #8 on: 23 June, 2008, 02:47:00 pm »
Another remembrance, a bit more recent (1970s).  This is one factor that turned me veggie - for a spell.  At the time I'm living alone in a flat in Hove, my mother comes to see me and brings a cold roast chicken for our lunch.  We polish off the bird OK and then dump the carcass and bones etc. in the swing-bin in the kitchen.

It's my fault entirely.  I forget altogether about the bin.  We're having a spell of exceptionally hot weather.  A few days later, after breakfast, I lift the lid of the bin ....
....and a copious rain of maggots comes streaming out.  Having feasted on what was left of the chicken carcass.

I have a strong aversion to maggots, the smell especially.  It's all I can do to stop retching.  Takes me over an hour to clean up the mess.  I think I have to run down to the supermarket, buy several bottles of disinfectant which I tip out over the floor....  I'm about two hours late for work.....

Pete

« Reply #9 on: 23 June, 2008, 02:56:29 pm »
I hope he's hoovering out the obsy. very thoroughly, each time he goes in then!  ;D  Observatories are marvellous places for lurking Tegenaria specimens!

Come to think of it, on a thread on this very topic back on UKAI about a year ago, I posted a piccy of a splendid creature (T. gigantea I think) who turned up in my garage one evening.  With my hand also in frame, so you could judge the scale  :o.  I got several complaints from other UKAI'ers with phobias, about that!  Hope David wasn't one of them!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #10 on: 23 June, 2008, 05:22:44 pm »
I hope he's hoovering out the obsy. very thoroughly, each time he goes in then!  ;D  Observatories are marvellous places for lurking Tegenaria specimens!

Come to think of it, on a thread on this very topic back on UKAI about a year ago, I posted a piccy of a splendid creature (T. gigantea I think) who turned up in my garage one evening.  With my hand also in frame, so you could judge the scale  :o.  I got several complaints from other UKAI'ers with phobias, about that!  Hope David wasn't one of them!

I think Martin Mobberley has written about the beasties of Suffolk, to which David might have referred in his book...

Jules

• Has dropped his aitch!
« Reply #11 on: 23 June, 2008, 09:44:15 pm »
There was an interesting smell in the bikeshed this evening. I  finally tracked it down to the Carradice rack bag that I only use for audaxes. The last audax I rode was the Stonehenge 200.

The remaining banananananas were a bit liquid.
Audax on the other hand is almost invisible and thought to be the pastime of Hobbits ....  Fab Foodie