Author Topic: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series  (Read 1741598 times)

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
Re: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series
« Reply #14575 on: 30 April, 2020, 05:14:03 pm »
Hello all,

For any of the Wednesday night regulars that I haven't formally informed I am now a full time old fart retired.

Leaving do was a bit unusual , no speech, no pub, no bar bill (thankfully!). Did the leaving paperwork/signout with the manager by teams - I was in the office, he was working from home!

Looking forward to the proper world (PUBS!) restarting.

No problem with self isolating - as an audax rider and former time trial rider I have lots of practice at being an antisocial bastard social distancing.

Congrats on the retirement! :)  :thumbsup:
Regards,

Joergen

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #14576 on: 30 April, 2020, 05:36:54 pm »
Hello all,

For any of the Wednesday night regulars that I haven't formally informed I am now a full time old fart retired.

Leaving do was a bit unusual , no speech, no pub, no bar bill (thankfully!). Did the leaving paperwork/signout with the manager by teams - I was in the office, he was working from home!

No problem with self isolating - as an audax rider and former time trial rider I have lots of practice at being an antisocial bastard social distancing.

Hey, hey, well done BFC  :thumbsup:

In lieu of pubs, can we encourage you to join one of our virtual MEMWNS sessions?  To be honest its a pale imitation of the real thing but needs must, we'd love to see you!

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #14577 on: 30 April, 2020, 07:22:35 pm »
Congratulations BFC! The roads [and not-roads] are still out there to be ridden, in these strange times.  :thumbsup:

Re: MEMWNS - with VE day coming up on 8th May, maybe next week it would be topical for our Fun Facts slot to feature WW2 family memories from past generations?

Oscar's dad

« Reply #14578 on: 30 April, 2020, 07:26:51 pm »
Congratulations BFC! The roads [and not-roads] are still out there to be ridden, in these strange times.  :thumbsup:

Re: MEMWNS - with VE day coming up on 8th May, maybe next week it would be topical for our Fun Facts slot to feature WW2 family memories from past generations?

Good idea!  I can regale you all with my exploits behind Nazi lines in occupied Europe. I posed as a travelling pickled egg salesman taking part in sabotage missions every Wednesday evening.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #14579 on: 30 April, 2020, 07:28:36 pm »

Good idea!  I can regale you all with my exploits behind Nazi lines in occupied Europe. I posed as a travelling pickled egg salesman taking part in sabotage missions every Wednesday evening.

My call sign was Oscar Papa  ;D

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #14580 on: 30 April, 2020, 07:40:40 pm »
I won't spoil the stories, but Mum's war on the home front was a whole order of magnitude more dangerous than Dad's in the army.

« Reply #14581 on: 30 April, 2020, 07:44:52 pm »
Congrats BFC .... hopefully you’ll soon be able to enjoy your retirement in full, but in the meantime I’m sure you’ll still be regularly cycling and hopefully you’ll pop into the virtual MEMWNS chat soon. Be good to hear from you.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

Oscar's dad

« Reply #14582 on: 01 May, 2020, 10:01:21 am »
I won't spoil the stories, but Mum's war on the home front was a whole order of magnitude more dangerous than Dad's in the army.

Sounds really interesting, can't wait!

« Reply #14583 on: 05 May, 2020, 08:01:33 am »
I've arranged a special guest this Wednesday, Simone. She can only make 15 minutes though. I'd strongly recommend people should try to be on the call at 9pm. I'll not say any more.

Given the VE day theme proposed by Tomsk for the fun facts, I've got a quiz on that same theme if there's time.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #14584 on: 05 May, 2020, 08:13:57 am »
Gosh, how exciting!

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #14585 on: 05 May, 2020, 05:45:46 pm »
I've arranged a special guest this Wednesday, Simone. She can only make 15 minutes though. I'd strongly recommend people should try to be on the call at 9pm. I'll not say any more.

Given the VE day theme proposed by Tomsk for the fun facts, I've got a quiz on that same theme if there's time.

Excellent!

Maybe also we can share our VE Day celebration plans? We are planning on prosecco, scones, jam, cream and strawberries, but we're considering raiding Mayfield Bakery in Harlow for flour tomorrow, as my baking recently has all been based on porridge oats as that's all we can get here. Though I have been perfecting a cracking Cheese & Walnut Flapjack recipe [warning: contains Marmite].

Oscar's dad

« Reply #14586 on: 06 May, 2020, 09:22:05 am »
This evening sounds like it might be the best virtual MEMWNS yet!

Tomsk - Marriages' shop in Chelmsford had loads of flour a week or so ago, jibers goes there too, might worth a look?

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #14587 on: 06 May, 2020, 10:53:42 am »
This evening sounds like it might be the best virtual MEMWNS yet!

Tomsk - Marriages' shop in Chelmsford had loads of flour a week or so ago, jibers goes there too, might worth a look?

Yep - and Russell Dores in High Roding has his little shop open sure there was Marriages flour in there too, Fri & Sat 07462 046 083
Regards,

Joergen

Oscar's dad

« Reply #14588 on: 06 May, 2020, 11:10:09 am »
On the baking front we have tried and failed at getting sourdough starter to start and consequently decided its too much faff.  However, we hauled my late mother's Panasonic breadmaker out from under the stairs and hey presto lovely fresh bread with minimal faffage!  We shall be doing that again!

« Reply #14589 on: 06 May, 2020, 08:55:55 pm »
Great news BFC - Welcome to the club :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

But, as you are no longer a Beer Fueled Commuter, are you changing to a Beer Fueled Pensioner???

Hello all,

Proving ambition is undone by ability since 1958...

« Reply #14590 on: 07 May, 2020, 07:32:24 am »
I hope the appearance of goats on the call last night was a pleasant distraction. I'll let you know once I hear more about the 'kidding' event.

As OD asked, the details of the farm are as follows, in case you'd like an unusual participant on one of your own calls.

https://www.cronkshawfoldfarm.co.uk/goatsonzoom

Oscar's dad

« Reply #14591 on: 07 May, 2020, 09:18:19 am »
I hope the appearance of goats on the call last night was a pleasant distraction. I'll let you know once I hear more about the 'kidding' event.

As OD asked, the details of the farm are as follows, in case you'd like an unusual participant on one of your own calls.

Thanks matey!  I thought the WW2 themed quiz was excellent too - you've hit your stride!

And Tomsk - I'm now having nightmares about your Mum lobbing incendiary bombs off roofs!

« Reply #14592 on: 07 May, 2020, 10:05:00 am »
Thanks to Psyclist for providing so much entertainment last night.  Goats and a WWII Quiz, thats going to be hard to top next week :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Proving ambition is undone by ability since 1958...

Oscar's dad

« Reply #14593 on: 08 May, 2020, 02:32:35 pm »
Right then, my tarp finally arrived (I'm still sans B&Q wood and reassuringly expensive thingy for removing knackered screws) so I'm ready to go on the bivvy front...

So when shall we have our coordinated garden bivvy extravaganza?  Perhaps after virtual MEMWNS one Wednesday evening?

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #14594 on: 08 May, 2020, 03:38:43 pm »
Yep - though looks a bit chilly next week :)
Regards,

Joergen

Oscar's dad

« Reply #14595 on: 08 May, 2020, 04:23:37 pm »
Yep - though looks a bit chilly next week :)

I’m happy to wait for warmer weather although I should point out the only sleeping bag I have now is a winter weight 4 seasons bag!  My lighter weight bag was getting a bit tatty so I donated it to a rough sleeper charity last Christmas and haven’t got round to replacing it yet.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #14596 on: 13 May, 2020, 09:48:38 pm »
My super loopy 101 miles not far from home: CLICKY.

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #14597 on: 14 May, 2020, 02:20:17 am »

What were the rules again? 10 mile radius from home?
Regards,

Joergen

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #14598 on: 14 May, 2020, 02:54:48 am »

I've just had a go and can get a 100mile route in a circle around home with a 10mile radius I think.
Regards,

Joergen

Oscar's dad

« Reply #14599 on: 14 May, 2020, 08:55:00 am »

There are no rulz, but the general principle is to remain roughly 10 miles from home.