Author Topic: LeJoGLe Record attempt  (Read 8801 times)

Re: LeJoGLe Record attempt
« Reply #50 on: 05 April, 2013, 10:24:23 pm »
He's just announced that he is finishing his record attempt. Shame,  but conditions have been shocking

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #51 on: 05 April, 2013, 10:52:46 pm »
It must have been pretty brutal riding 800+ miles into that wind  :o

Chapeau to him & hopefully he's learned a few things from it like knowing where you're going for starters  :)
SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15
RRTY. PBP. LeJoG 1400. LEL.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #52 on: 06 April, 2013, 06:53:07 am »
Hoppo has always made a specific effort not to learn from his mistakes. I don't think that is going to change now.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #53 on: 06 April, 2013, 10:16:30 am »
;D at LWaB

+1 ;D

I did get the impression that they'd done their sums wrong regarding time as well. I know myself from being close to time on Audax while on extra long permanents, where you don't have a brevet card with closing times of controls, how confusing it can be working out timings.
I remember riding a series of 1000km permanents in 2000, counting with my fingers, trying to work out how much time I had in hand. This sometimes took me about 10 miles to confirm my maths. Sleep deprivation didn't help much, which they would have also had.
Even when I tried to work out how much time he had to get the record it took me 2 goes.
Some of their tweets said that they were "only on day 2" but over 48 hours had elapsed IIRC. All the way up to Inverness they gave the impression that they thought the record was still possible and were tweeting that they're still in with a chance, which I was curious about.
I wonder if they got to JOG, sat down and did their sums, which would make a lot of sense to me for psychological reasons, and realised it was over. They stopped for at least 20 minutes before they announced they were calling it a day.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #54 on: 09 October, 2013, 03:44:53 pm »
Hoppo has always made a specific effort not to learn from his mistakes. I don't think that is going to change now.

His twitter says he's starting another attempt on October 27th. Let's see if he gets any further this time.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #55 on: 09 October, 2013, 04:01:35 pm »
He is doing a great job of avoiding good weather.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #56 on: 09 October, 2013, 04:06:59 pm »
I think that this one should go better.
I don't think the weather could be more aginst him than it was last time. Headwind all the way up plus freezing conditions, then the wind turned. Plus he had trouble with his support car.
Oh, and he never knew that bikes weren't allowed on the A720 Edinburgh bypass so had to ad-hoc his route. :facepalm:

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #57 on: 09 October, 2013, 04:11:15 pm »
I think that this one should go better.
I don't think the weather could be more aginst him than it was last time. Headwind all the way up plus freezing conditions, then the wind turned. Plus he had trouble with his support car.
Oh, and he never knew that bikes weren't allowed on the A720 Edinburgh bypass so had to ad-hoc his route. :facepalm:

He could have had a roaring tailwind all the way down before it turned ...

« Reply #58 on: 09 October, 2013, 04:21:27 pm »
Maybe.
These things take a lot of planning. I think he's after a Guinness World Record, which means he has to be observed at all times. I also think that you have to state your ride in advance even for an RRA attempt.
Wilko had a fair bit of headwind on his E2E record ride.

« Reply #59 on: 09 October, 2013, 06:25:45 pm »
Hoppo needs an extra pair of hands in his suport crew for the record attempt. Starting on Sunday 27th from Land's End for about 5 days.
Anyone want to crew for a record attempt?

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #60 on: 09 October, 2013, 06:45:37 pm »
I feel my destiny calling ...

No doubt team selection is very demanding - TG, will you vouch for me?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #61 on: 09 October, 2013, 06:48:40 pm »
I feel my destiny calling ...

No doubt team selection is very demanding - TG, will you vouch for me?

;D ;D ;D

Is there any specific part of Hoppo's setup you would like to take responsibility for? 
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #62 on: 09 October, 2013, 06:52:43 pm »
TG, will you vouch for me?

If the price is right, then yes. :thumbsup:

« Reply #63 on: 29 October, 2013, 09:37:10 am »
Chris tweeted ambiguously that the road surface hurt.
"Was it near Moffat?"
"Yep!"
#makewattsnotwar

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #64 on: 30 October, 2013, 10:40:36 pm »
Twitter says he reached JOG 3 hours ago.

It also says this:

"Sorry everyone he has to stop doctors orders as he has server bronchitis :( he's been getting a lot worse today nothing is worth your health"