Author Topic: Light switch rating  (Read 1152 times)

Light switch rating
« on: 18 January, 2023, 04:17:05 pm »
I am trying to replace a push button switch in a light fitting.  The original one was marked with 2[2] 250~ whereas the replacement says 2[1]A 250V~.

My question is - what is the figure in the square brackets?  My Googling has failed to find an answer.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Light switch rating
« Reply #1 on: 18 January, 2023, 04:56:50 pm »
Probably the current rating when switching an inductive load (ie. a motor).

« Reply #2 on: 18 January, 2023, 05:00:10 pm »
Thanks.  After some more Googling that was the conclusion that I was coming to.  I was surprised that I found it so difficult to find definitive information.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3 on: 18 January, 2023, 05:16:01 pm »
The other possibility would be a current rating for DC, though you'd expect that to come with its own voltage range - the '~' implies AC.

(It's harder for a switch to break a circuit with DC current flowing without arcing/welding the contacts, hence DC ratings tend to be a lot lower than for AC.)

« Reply #4 on: 18 January, 2023, 07:22:40 pm »
A 230 V light fitting that takes 1 A will use 230 W*.

230 W is a lot for a light. Unless your light is more than 230 W it won't matter changing the switch for one that is only rated at 1 A.

I appreciate that the new switch is rated at 2 A for ac, so my point is probably moot.

*Power factor pedants can cringe silently.
Quote from: Kim
Paging Diver300.  Diver300 to the GSM Trimphone, please...

« Reply #5 on: 18 January, 2023, 07:41:04 pm »
A 230 V light fitting that takes 1 A will use 230 W*.

230 W is a lot for a light. Unless your light is more than 230 W it won't matter changing the switch for one that is only rated at 1 A.

I appreciate that the new switch is rated at 2 A for ac, so my point is probably moot.

*Power factor pedants can cringe silently.

would that make it a pedant light fitting?

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #6 on: 18 January, 2023, 09:42:05 pm »
Estate agents normally spell it "pendent", referring to what it does rather than what it is.  It's a shibboleth of the trade.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #7 on: 19 January, 2023, 08:11:52 am »
Just for really boring completeness:

It looks like the marking is governed by BS EN61058-1 and a figure in brackets after the current rating is the 'rated current for motor load'.  However the brackets should be rounded and these are definitely square.  A figure in square brackets is the 'peak surge current for tungsten filament lamp load' which I would expect to be larger than the rated current for a resistive load.  So it looks like the markings are wrong.

I reckon I could demand my £3 back from the ebay seller  -  or I could just fit it and I am sure it will be absolutely fine  :thumbsup:

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #8 on: 19 January, 2023, 10:22:34 am »
Just for really boring completeness:
...However the brackets should be rounded and these are definitely square...

Don't dig it here, dig it over there.

« Reply #9 on: 21 January, 2023, 08:55:02 am »
Thanks Bernard  :)

...and for even more completeness - I wired in the switch to replace the one that I was told was broken and the light still didn't work  ::-)  Checked the tube and it was OK.  Swapped in a replacement starter and behold - there was light  :thumbsup:

And the moral of the story - when someone tells you which bit is broken still do your own checks.  I suppose that I should be grateful for the opportunity to read through BS EN61058-1  :-\