Author Topic: Bulb popped more than I'd expect  (Read 863 times)

Morat

• I tried to HTFU but something went ping :(
Bulb popped more than I'd expect
« on: 27 April, 2021, 03:51:24 pm »
I was doing a little cooking t'other day and one of the bulbs in the cooker hood went CRACK. Not quite a bang, but definitely more than a pop. I was surprised, but seeing as bulbs seem to pop in that hood quite often I wasn't excited. Today I removed the dead bulb to replace it and found this:

This seems a little more damaged and sooty than I had expected so I am hesitating to stick a new bulb in its place. We've had this cooker hood for not quite 3 years. The LH bulb popped very early on, then a second time within the year and at that point I replaced it with an LED which is still working fine. Should I just stick a matching LED in the RH side (this is the original bulb) or does this look dangerous to any sparky type people?
Should I just stop worrying and learn to love the bang?
Thank you...
Everyone's favourite windbreak

Re: Bulb popped more than I'd expect
« Reply #1 on: 27 April, 2021, 04:21:49 pm »
Look like it was loose in the fitting and arcing. I'd swap the LED bulb you already have across and test it.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #2 on: 27 April, 2021, 04:35:02 pm »
Look like it was loose in the fitting and arcing. I'd swap the LED bulb you already have across and test it.

I'd agree with that - some cooker hoods vibrate quite a bit if the fan is on full blast and it could have shaken the bulb loose

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #3 on: 27 April, 2021, 04:39:51 pm »
Agree.  That's been a poor contact with high resistance which has gotten hot when current passes through it.

You'd need to clean up the holder carefully, and then inspect it to determine if it's still fit for purpose.
Clean away any sooty deposits, and scrape the contacts clean with wire wool or similar abrasive, till they are shiny.
If there are metal springy contacts, perhaps they can be bent out a bit to give a bit more spring force at the contact points?
You may end up having to replace the lampholder.

An LED lamp will draw less current, and will be slightly more tolerant of a bit of resistance in the contacts.

Morat

• I tried to HTFU but something went ping :(
« Reply #4 on: 27 April, 2021, 04:58:09 pm »
Thank you, everyone. That's very helpful :)
Everyone's favourite windbreak