Author Topic: Workshop shed?  (Read 2171 times)

Workshop shed?
« on: 22 January, 2011, 12:52:11 pm »
Finally... one of my projects for this year - a new shed. 

Anyone bought a shed 'recently', have good picks for a good quality, not horrendously expensive, workshop shed 16' x 8'?  Don't mind windows on one side.  16'x8' is quite long, so I guess decently supported roof would be good, and... 6ft+ eaves.  Any recommended sites/companies for service and quality? 

Andy
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
Re: Workshop shed?
« Reply #1 on: 22 January, 2011, 01:09:17 pm »
No supplier suggestions ... but a few practical ideas that made our shed better (it's in the garden, and not used for bikes ... but the concept is the same)

Assuming it's the usual shiplap/t&g construction it's a good idea to line it with, say, hardboard with insulation between the frame parts - both walls and roof (it also helps stability.

Assuming a felted roof - make it two layers - one running lengthwise, on widthwise - and turn the felt over at the edges and screw battens on to make hard edges.

Fit guttering and downpipe ... to stop water running down the outside walls.

Oh, and ours has a gingham curtain on the window ! 

Almost forgot - if you are treating it with a stain or whatever, it's much easier to do that with the panels flat before the thing is built.  (Ours is a navy blue Sadolin stain - looks great with the greenery in the garden)

Rob

gordon taylor

« Reply #2 on: 22 January, 2011, 01:13:03 pm »
A wooden shed with a tin roof is a really easy thing to build. Have you thought of DiY ?

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #3 on: 22 January, 2011, 01:15:10 pm »
Just this.  BUILD YOUR OWN

I went looking last year for a similar size for my father's garden.

What people wanted £5000 quid for was literally matchwood. That's not a typo, that's five grand!

I helped my neighbour 'assemble' his shed, it was a summer evening, bright and hot.

OSB base on 2" batons (FFS) and shiplap sides. We got the roof on and suddenly I was panicking like crazy, the walls appeared to be on fire! Turns out they were so thin that the late evening sun was shining thru them, like when you put your hand over a powerful torch!

I built this a few years ago from scrap.

I began by making the roof trusses from pallets & crates. You can stand on them!

I even made the doors.

Use recycled timber for the frame & trusses, OSB for the roof and sides. As long as you use a membrane and good quality cladding it'll last for years and be something to make you really proud. 'I MADE this!'

As Rob says above, insulation, power/light and lining all help to make it yours. Avoid creosoted wood, it smells and burns but fierce!

Tools: Hammer, drill, saw, measure and a chop saw if you need to make a lot of repetitive cuts. Nails, glue felt, screws, nothing special

Go on! It's a Dad thing . . .
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

microphonie

• Tyke 2
« Reply #4 on: 22 January, 2011, 03:16:43 pm »
I'm very happy with my heavy duty 'security shed' bought from Taylors 18mo ago. Used their installation service too which was well worth the money.

They've currently got heavy duty garages on offer.

Also check out the Dutch barn styles if you fancy something different - they'll certainly give you lots of eaves space!. They'll build to order too.

Don't forget you'll need a good solid base for something that size too.
Bingo! That's what I am, a saviour.
A sort of cocky version of Jesus.

« Reply #5 on: 24 January, 2011, 05:28:40 pm »
Thanks. The shed is to go down the 'far' corner of the garden and will probably have to a std bought affair.  I like the idea of building something - but it may take me eons...

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #6 on: 24 January, 2011, 05:35:20 pm »
I bought a 10x6 shed for bike storage.  It has windows down one side.

I got it from Homebase - I won't do that again....  :(

I think it's worth paying the extra to get it from somewhere that provide quality and service.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #7 on: 24 January, 2011, 07:17:04 pm »
I bought a 10x6 shed for bike storage.  It has windows down one side.

I got it from Homebase - I won't do that again....  :(

I think it's worth paying the extra to get it from somewhere that provide quality and service.

My 'never again' experience from homebase was with an adjustable radiator cover that fell apart.  In the end I used 'no more nails' to glue it together

meddyg

• 'You'll have had your tea?'
« Reply #8 on: 28 April, 2021, 07:46:37 pm »
An update a decade later ?

Just bought and had installed 10' x 8' shed from sheds.co.uk
Reviews on whatshed.co.uk were 8.5 / 10
Demolished previous rather nice but home made leaky construction as bikes and other stuff were rusting ;
first time experience for me.

At the the end of Day1 it is letting in water
The tongue n groove is 12mm thick and flimsy.
It's going back...

Partly problem is looking at stuff in COVID era
2009  shed-thread recommended Beastsheds.co.uk !

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #9 on: 28 April, 2021, 07:53:38 pm »
An update a decade later ?

Just bought and had installed 10' x 8' shed from sheds.co.uk
Reviews on whatshed.co.uk were 8.5 / 10
Demolished previous rather nice but home made leaky construction as bikes and other stuff were rusting ;
first time experience for me.

At the the end of Day1 it is letting in water
The tongue n groove is 12mm thick and flimsy.
It's going back...

Partly problem is looking at stuff in COVID era
2009  shed-thread recommended Beastsheds.co.uk !

sheds.co.uk  - is just up the road from us (about 3/4 mile away) . . . .  been there once, very dubious quality of products on show and they're only middle-men for a few second-string brands.

The shed we bought from our allotment is excellent - from Tiger Sheds  (the only downside is that the stain/treatment is almost bright orange - we've painted it black with Cuprinol Garden Shades)