Author Topic: My Carrera Krakken needs to go on a diet.  (Read 793 times)

My Carrera Krakken needs to go on a diet.
« on: 19 February, 2021, 04:05:58 pm »
Afternoon all,  I brought this last summer for off-road touring. Though  I ve really enjoyed riding it,  it's a heavy old thing and its 70cm bars make it a challenge to move through the house.  It needs to lose some weight and some width.

I have shorter bars ( Planet x OGs)  but it needs lighter tyres, saddle, and seat post. 

Any suggestions for less heavy and less wide tyres?  Currently shod with  WTB  Trail  Boss tyres.

Re: My Carrera Krakken needs to go on a diet.
« Reply #1 on: 19 February, 2021, 06:12:54 pm »
Wheel size?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #3 on: 19 February, 2021, 08:05:39 pm »
Ah, 27.5.

I’ve used Schwalbe Thunder Burt in 27.5 x 2.1 and found them light and fast for off road tyres. Not mudpluggers, so best for dry trails and stuff. I suspect Racing Ralph are also available in a suitable size.

« Reply #4 on: 20 February, 2021, 09:05:02 am »
Thanks,  do Schwalbe Marathons comes in a 27.5/650 b  1.76  or  2.O yet?

« Reply #5 on: 20 February, 2021, 09:53:13 am »
If you really want to save a chunk of weight and could manage without sus up front there's 2.5kgs of front fork that could be reduced a bit. Also have a look at the weight of your chainset, some are surprisingly chunky. (I think I have the equivalent fork in 26" and it does weigh in at 2.4kgs; it sits in the garage while the bike I bought it for runs a super heavy rigid fork).

« Reply #6 on: 20 February, 2021, 10:03:12 am »
Don’t know about Marathons, but for slicks then I’d use WTB Horizons 650x47

If you swap the suspension fork for rigid, watch the length and offset.