Author Topic: "World's fastest electric cycle" seems a bit slow  (Read 2024 times)

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
"World's fastest electric cycle" seems a bit slow
« on: 13 May, 2009, 03:48:37 pm »
Is apparently the Ultra Motor A2B

It claims to have a top speed of a dizzying 20mph

The government dept of electric bicycles said, when asked, that 15mph was as fast as was allowed and any faster and the rider would have to wear a motorcycle approved helmet

World's fastest electric cycle to go on sale in Britain  - Telegraph

Re: "World's fastest electric cycle" seems a bit slow
« Reply #1 on: 13 May, 2009, 04:35:24 pm »
How to turn the humble  bicycle into a machine for avoiding exercise.

I saw two people 'walking' the trails at Haldon last weekend, each on a Segway thingie.

« Reply #2 on: 13 May, 2009, 05:29:36 pm »
Ultra Motor spokesman Julie Farrington said: "It is a product people are really excited by because of its quality.

"In the past, electric bikes have been prototypes because the technology has not really been there.

"But now the technology has progressed enough to mean it is a more viable option."

So, the manufacturers have never heard of Heinzmann, Riese & Muller, Bion-X, Gazelle, etc, etc, etc...  ::-)
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

« Reply #3 on: 13 May, 2009, 06:31:24 pm »
Looking forward to the review in AtoB.

(I'm not sure why I subscribe, perhaps I just like getting a magazine where I can be sure there won't be a photo of someone wearing a pointy helmet)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #4 on: 13 May, 2009, 08:49:45 pm »
Ultra Motor spokesman Julie Farrington said: "It is a product people are really excited by because of its quality.

"In the past, electric bikes have been prototypes because the technology has not really been there.

"But now the technology has progressed enough to mean it is a more viable option."

So, the manufacturers have never heard of Heinzmann, Riese & Muller, Bion-X, Gazelle, etc, etc, etc...  ::-)

And Giant are such a tiny, niche manufacturer, working out of a shed in Swindon or summat? ::-)
Getting there...

« Reply #5 on: 13 May, 2009, 09:13:21 pm »
Note the problem?

Company says no licence, road tax, insurance or congestion charge

DfT says it needs registration, inurance and VED!

I wonder who is right?

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #6 on: 13 May, 2009, 09:25:49 pm »
Depends how fast it goes.  That 15mph limit is pretty arbitrary, IIRC it would have to be limited to qualify as a bicycle.

OTOH Zero are making an electric "125" - a proper little fast electric motorbike.

I saw two people 'walking' the trails at Haldon last weekend, each on a Segway thingie.

Offroad extreme!
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #7 on: 14 May, 2009, 12:28:17 am »
A chap who does the opposite commute to me has recently switched from a bike to an electric scooter.  It caught my eye as it looks like a normal small scooter but he was riding it without a helmet.

The rear number plate says "electric bike".

He doesn't seem to hold up traffic when I see him in the rush hour.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #8 on: 14 May, 2009, 08:48:21 am »
Just think, Nutty, you could add electrocution to your list of fettling injuries...
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #9 on: 14 May, 2009, 10:49:11 am »
Depends how fast it goes.  That 15mph limit is pretty arbitrary, IIRC it would have to be limited to qualify as a bicycle.

15 mph (actually, I think the limit is 25kph) isn't that arbitary, really. It's pretty representative of the speed an averagely fit utility cyclist would be able to go on the flat (yes, I know many here claim 25mph, but that's not really typical PoB cycling), and is also a reasonable 'finger-in-the-air' guess at a speed at which most accidents would cause minimal injury. It seems quite reasonable to ask for training to be undertaken if you want to travel fast enough to cause cause injury!  ;)

The legislation is clear - if power is available above 25kph, it's a moped, not a bicycle. Above 50kph, it's an A1 class motorcycle. End of.

If Nutty's fellow commuter is using a scooter which goes faster than 25kph, and it sounds like he is, then he's breaking the law by riding without a helmet, and presumably without insurance. People periodically have have the book thrown at them for 'misunderstanding' the distinction.  ::-)

OTOH Zero are making an electric "125" - a proper little fast electric motorbike.

Pah! You want a Vectrix.

Actually, if my commute was longer, I'd want a Vectrix!  ;D :thumbsup:
Life is too important to be taken seriously.