Poll

which method do you mostly use to guide yourself around an organised ride?

route sheet
5 (16.7%)
GPS
9 (30%)
both route sheet and GPS
8 (26.7%)
follow the bloke / lady in front
2 (6.7%)
by the stars
1 (3.3%)
with marked arrows
1 (3.3%)
a map
4 (13.3%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Author Topic: How do you navigate?  (Read 5664 times)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Re: How do you navigate?
« Reply #50 on: 01 August, 2011, 10:03:34 am »
This thread has reminded me of a few assumptions to avoid in future:

Everyone can afford a GPS and make it work
Everyone can read a routesheet
Everyone knows their left-from-right
Everyone has a dishwasher
Everyone under 45 rides without glasses

I probably missed a few ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #51 on: 01 August, 2011, 12:03:37 pm »

I still needed a waterproofish way to mount them, so worked out a way to use transparent CD plastic envelopes, hole punched and bound together with cable ties, and trimmed each section of route sheet to fit inside them - I then mounted them using elastic bands that held them bent over the top of my front light -

As a newbie who doesn't own a GPS I'm interested to know how other people mount their routecards.

So far I have improvised a mount from a stiff plastic envelope that was originally a name card holder. It has survived 3 audaxes but I doubt it will survive many more. So - what next?

Actually, now I have re-read bikey mikey's suggestion and realised that he means the soft plactic cases, not the hard boxes (I know, I know, but I was up at 0400 today) I think that will probably do for me but I'm still interested.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #52 on: 01 August, 2011, 12:16:53 pm »
As a newbie who doesn't own a GPS I'm interested to know how other people mount their routecards.

So far I have improvised a mount from a stiff plastic envelope that was originally a name card holder. It has survived 3 audaxes but I doubt it will survive many more. So - what next?

Actually, now I have re-read bikey mikey's suggestion and realised that he means the soft plactic cases, not the hard boxes (I know, I know, but I was up at 0400 today) I think that will probably do for me but I'm still interested.

Get a rubber band and strap the routesheet onto your arm.  Make sure it's in a plastic bag so that it doesn't absorb your sweat.  This is the simplest and easiest way to hold a routesheet and doesn't take up space on your bars.  If the route you can just put it in your pocket.

I have a GPS and I use it if the route is complex, long, in unfamiliar territory etc.  If I'm doing hilly km in an area that I know, I don't bother.

« Reply #53 on: 01 August, 2011, 12:25:37 pm »
Not an audaxer, but generally I navigate from memory, either places/roads I've been to before or from looking up the route on google maps and memorising it. But just following others is a pretty good way t do it also  ;D

LEE

« Reply #54 on: 01 August, 2011, 12:52:47 pm »
I have difficulty telling the difference between left and right and my brain was trained in Miles. I also have difficulty retaining instructions I have just read.

I thought it was just me.

I can read "R@T" twenty times on the way to the T-Junction but I'll forget it 2 minutes after reading it each time.

I'm hoping good signage and 5,999 other riders will make PBP route easy to navigate without using a route sheet or GPS.

« Reply #55 on: 01 August, 2011, 12:57:31 pm »
GPS.

Routesheet (and sometimes map) in the saddlebag if required.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #56 on: 01 August, 2011, 02:54:23 pm »
Routesheet & relevant sections of a road atlas with the route highlighted on 400k+ rides, that's when I'm not being guided by datameister of this parish.  I just can't get on with GPS for some reason or other, I used one on the West & Midlands 400 & ended up just giving up on it & relying on datameister & Denice Noha knowing where we were going  :-[

Edit: I attach my routesheet to my handlebars/stem by using a piece of card covered by a polybag & attached by tiestraps.
SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15
RRTY. PBP. LeJoG 1400. LEL.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #57 on: 01 August, 2011, 03:10:21 pm »
I don't think anybody has mentioned the killer benefit of a GPS; a light up screen you can read at night. I haven't ridden with a head torch for years.

More of an issue for some then others I guess.

Best option is to have the route sheet and GPS on the bars, the route sheet to ride the route as written and the GPS as bike computer/route check in extremis. But come dusk, the routesheet goes in the saddle bag.

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
  • Yes, I am completely mad ! a.k.a. 333
« Reply #58 on: 01 August, 2011, 04:17:40 pm »

Get a rubber band and strap the routesheet onto your arm.  Make sure it's in a plastic bag so that it doesn't absorb your sweat.  This is the simplest and easiest way to hold a routesheet and doesn't take up space on your bars. 

I tried this method once, but no matter how far I leant back, my arm was still too close to read without reading glasses, even when the font was much bigger and that was when I worked out how to attach to the bars.....
I’ve decided I’m not old. I’m 25 .....plus shipping and handling.

Cycling heatmap
https://www.strava.com/athletes/4628735/heatmaps/6ed5ab12#10/51.12782/-3.16388

Martin

« Reply #59 on: 01 August, 2011, 10:41:10 pm »
Not an audaxer, but

actually worth moving this poll to another board now it's served its purpose

« Reply #60 on: 01 August, 2011, 11:20:45 pm »
It's useful to have Rower40 relaying GPS directions up the line  ;)
I don't think that he's available for all the rides that I intend doing this year.

« Reply #61 on: 02 August, 2011, 01:09:26 pm »
What happened to the vote count?

Martin

« Reply #62 on: 02 August, 2011, 10:04:30 pm »
What happened to the vote count?

new electorate; new poll  :)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #63 on: 03 August, 2011, 02:34:25 am »
It's useful to have Rower40 relaying GPS directions up the line  ;)

I dunno.  Isn't there a ancient Chinese proverb about a man with five GPS receivers not having a clue where he is?

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #64 on: 03 August, 2011, 06:44:03 am »
Standard navigation instruction for oars-people:

"Stay on the wet bit"

I dunno.  Isn't there a ancient Chinese proverb about a man with five GPS receivers not having a clue where he is?
It's a form of mid-life crisis.  I have no idea where my life is going, so I use GPS to know where I've got to.
:-\
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip