Author Topic: Newspeak  (Read 7118 times)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Re: Newspeak
« Reply #50 on: 14 June, 2012, 02:45:47 pm »
I assumed brifters had been coined as more manufacturers (Campagnolo, SRAM, there's another whose name I can't recall) produced integrated brake and gear levers. A way of both avoiding copyright problems and indicating that you're referring to a whole genre rather than a particular firm's product. It does sound ugly, but that's just my opinion, I'm sure some like the sound of the word.
(Simplex?)
Again, like cockpit, it's a horrible word but we don't have any alternative for the concept. (We should check if there is anything in Meaning of Liff we could steal.)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #51 on: 14 June, 2012, 02:49:33 pm »
Simplex is a lovely word, I'm just not sure that it's really appropriate for (non-electronic, and only then if there's no feedback path) bicycle controls.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #52 on: 14 June, 2012, 03:01:02 pm »
Simplex was a joy.
Getting there...

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #53 on: 14 June, 2012, 03:07:56 pm »
Herpes?
It is simpler than it looks.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #54 on: 14 June, 2012, 03:09:33 pm »
It's going round.
Getting there...

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #55 on: 14 June, 2012, 03:10:24 pm »
An abbreviation that sticks in my craw is alu.  The English abbreviation for aluminium alloy used to be pronounce as alley.  Alu just sounds so wrong but I assume again it is the magazine editors trying to write in a manner that an international market will understand.

I dislike the misuse of "alloy" when they mean "aluminium alloy". I've never owned an alumnium alloy frame but most of my bike frames are alloy - iron alloyed with manganese, chromium, molybdenum, nickel or vanadium, and of course carbon.

« Reply #56 on: 14 June, 2012, 03:40:57 pm »
I road my bike yesterday, and I had to use the breaks and peddles!

But I DID use breaks to stop me today........

« Reply #57 on: 15 June, 2012, 02:57:13 pm »
I read this thread with astonishment until I checked the posting times and realised you're all in work, presumably.