Author Topic: Your least prolific bicycle  (Read 1976 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Your least prolific bicycle
« on: 15 November, 2012, 09:48:18 pm »
Antidote to this thread.  Which of your cycles (I predict unconventional wheel counts will be well represented) have seen the least use, and why?

For me it's the tandem-shaped object, because we never found a satisfactory way for barakta to stoke it without shoulder dislocations and/or her saddle too low.  No computer, but I think it's done less than 100km since we acquired it.

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
Re: Your least prolific bicycle
« Reply #1 on: 15 November, 2012, 09:56:57 pm »
After breaking a leg in a freak boozohol-and-recumbent accident in 1995, I bought a Pashley trike. It allowed me to get to work and physio etc while my leg was in a below-the-knee plaster.
After the pot came off, I had nowhere to store the trike, so I gave it to the hospital's Occupational Therapy department for them to give to a worthy cause.
Total distance it covered in my ownership was prolly less than 200 miles.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

« Reply #2 on: 15 November, 2012, 09:57:53 pm »
Twas my bent before I sold it last year, then my mtb before the scrotes nicked it.

Now I only have one bike to ride so it must be that...  ;)

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #3 on: 15 November, 2012, 09:59:19 pm »
My unicycle.
I've ridden it about a foot.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #4 on: 15 November, 2012, 10:02:16 pm »
The tricycle I bought from Mal Volio.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

gerwinium

• Occasional smug folding bastard
« Reply #5 on: 15 November, 2012, 10:19:10 pm »
I have an A-bike which has done to the end of the road and back and has been sitting in the corner since. I'm too heavy for it - I blame the pies.

« Reply #6 on: 15 November, 2012, 10:27:43 pm »
The mountain bike.  I bought a good used frame on Ebay, built new wheels for it and gave it a decent component spec.    It's never seen anything muddier than a local park, and the flash is still on the tyres  :-[
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #7 on: 15 November, 2012, 11:01:57 pm »
The Dawes Red Feather. Too pretty to ride. I might wall mount it. I'm saving it for Eroica, some day.

A man in Diss (no not that one, a real bike mechanic) has just made me a an ice bike that I'm hoping sees no more than a test run round the block.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #8 on: 15 November, 2012, 11:32:36 pm »
Must be the Hero Hawk I used mainly for commuting and around town in India. I doubt it covered more than 2,000km in 3 years. They were rough miles mind and it showed, with a loose headset, lost cotter pin, slipping seat post, worn bottom bracket and probably other stuff I've forgotten about by the time I gave it away at the end of those three years.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #9 on: 16 November, 2012, 05:19:38 am »
Fortunately, it is cyclical in our household - there's not one bike which has done very low mileage.  However, 2011, the tandem did under 50 miles (with me being focussed on PBP etc.) and the poor old Brompton only got dusted off to do the Brompton World Championships and Brompton Marathon this year - so about 40 miles.

The Brompton is now the least used bike - if it weren't so damned small, I'd sell it!
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #10 on: 16 November, 2012, 07:31:47 am »
Of the 10 machines (currently) in my garage I have not ridden :

Peugeot Triathlon (the red one) since I had the frame powder coated and rebuilt it in about 2009
Claud Butler Majestic since I had a lug repaired and the frame powder coated in 2007
... and the Ken Rogers Trike has covered about 300 yards since I bought it in about 2006

The highest mileages in 2010, 2011 and 2012 have been on the Dawes Galaxy (red) and Dawes Audax machines ... with the green Peugeot Triathlon in its previous incarnation with gears (it's now a fixed) a close third.

Rob

« Reply #11 on: 16 November, 2012, 08:12:53 am »
I dont think the TT bike has been off the garage wall all year...   even last year it probably only did 100 miles. Will do more next year, honest.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #12 on: 16 November, 2012, 08:21:36 am »
Mountain bike. Precisely 0 miles this year, maybe 100 last year. It has produced nothing...

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #13 on: 16 November, 2012, 08:23:07 am »
This year, the fixie, I have done approx 6 miles on it, all of them to town and back.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #14 on: 16 November, 2012, 09:38:33 am »
Ah, that's a point, my mountain bike hasn't been ridden at all since 2010. Not by me at any rate. In fact I haven't been within a thousand miles of it. But it has sentimental history, it's been quite prolific in its way - first 100km ride, first major RTA, first bike I put on a plane...
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #15 on: 16 November, 2012, 09:49:00 am »
Elswick Hopper Light Roadster.  31 miles.  Two rides - to the pub near Northallerton, and home from St Pancras.  It needs a bit of fettling, and I was too broken to use it for it's intended purpose this year (L2B with old vehicles).
Getting there...

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #16 on: 16 November, 2012, 12:30:39 pm »
The mountain bike which has probably only done 20miles in the last year  :(
SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15
RRTY. PBP. LeJoG 1400. LEL.

LEE

« Reply #17 on: 16 November, 2012, 12:36:51 pm »
Ditto my Mountain Bike.

I've walked much further during the last 5 years.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #18 on: 16 November, 2012, 12:54:04 pm »
I think what this thread shows is that we need a YACF mountain biking weekend...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #19 on: 16 November, 2012, 12:54:35 pm »
I'm not doing that on my Elswick! :o :o :o
Getting there...

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #20 on: 16 November, 2012, 01:15:17 pm »
The Boy's former MTB, (still an MTB, just not The Boy's anymore). Kept for SNO duties, where it will be shod with spiky tyres. And I shall wear huge grin.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #21 on: 16 November, 2012, 01:21:42 pm »
The tandem, which needs time and money spent on it.
This year also the MTB, because the downs are fragile when wet and they've rarely dried out this year.

dasmoth

• Techno-optimist
« Reply #22 on: 16 November, 2012, 01:22:20 pm »
I think what this thread shows is that we need a YACF mountain biking weekend...

+1.  It might get me to fix poor Chunky's flat tyre!
Half term's when the traffic becomes mysteriously less bad for a week.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #23 on: 16 November, 2012, 01:25:15 pm »
Butterfly's MTB has lain gathering dust in her dad's shed for several years, in the vain hope that he would ride it rather than drive the mile or so into town. :(
Getting there...

Juan Martín

• Consigo mi abrigo
« Reply #24 on: 16 November, 2012, 03:11:57 pm »
My Cannondale R500 that I bought last autumn as my fair weather bike has only done about 50 miles in the last 12 months, due really to the lack of fair weather. I am now considering exporting it to Spain for use when I am there on my hols when I am sadly bikeless.

That said, my Carerra MTB beater probably only does around 10 miles annually as I only use it for the odd trip into the village.